View Full Version : ROM Update with NO AC Adapter??? Help!!!

Kitrik
08-12-2003, 02:23 AM
Okay - I just got my HP H5455 in the mail today and want to update the ROM to the latest version. However, because I bought the Ipaq used, it didn't come with an AC Adapter or the cradle, just a charge/sync USB cable. Now, when I run the ROM updater, it tells me that the Ipaq needs to be plugged into an AC adapter for it to continue. Well, obviously I can't do that.

Is there anyway around this? Can I fool the Ipaq into thinking that it is plugged in or something? Anyone done this before?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Kitrik

buckyg
08-12-2003, 02:37 AM
I never had any luck, always had to use the cradle w/ the AC Adapter plugged in. It knows the difference between USB power & AC. Maybe there's a way to do it, if there is, I don't know how.

If you break down and buy the AC adapter and a cradle, a word of advice: Save some potential headaches and get one of the newer HP cradles. These actually say that they're compatible w/ the 5400 series. Got mine at CompUSA, HP sells them on their site, I imagine.

You can pickup an older Compaq cradle for the 3800/3900 iPAQs fairly cheap but those cradles may or may not work on a 5455. There's been some discussion about that on some forums. Works for some folks, not for others. It did not work for me. Good luck!

Best regards,
buckyg

Kitrik
08-12-2003, 03:28 AM
Another thought:
The USB cable I have has a switch on it - Charge or Sync. You can obviously charge AND sync with the sync option but I'm wondering if the ipaq thinks it has an ac adapter when this cable is on "charge" only, not sync. If this is the case, (how would I check this on the ipaq?) would it be possible to do a ROM update over BlueTooth. I know, it's a scary though but it might work...

Kitrik

Chris Spera
08-12-2003, 03:50 AM
No, there is no way around this. CompUSA or BestBuy or equivalent should have an AC Adapter for your iPAQ for about $30 bucks US. I would splurg and get the the docking cradle which will also come with an AC adapter. That should be about $50 US.

If you're going to do any sort of updating with your device (new ROM or EUU) you're going to need a USB cradle with an AC Adapter.

Hope this helps!

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

Bob Anderson
08-12-2003, 04:20 AM
I tried to do the update, I had my AC adapter plugged into my dual PC Card expansion sleeve, and the 5455 attached... No go...

I had to attach the power directly to the iPaq, not through the expansion pack.

The iPaq must "know" through software where the "juice" is coming from, i.e., directly fed or through an accessory or USB. I suppose it could be monitoring voltage, who knows, but what ever it is... it really is for our protection... as frustrating as protection can be :wink:

Kitrik
08-12-2003, 06:53 AM
sunuva... that really sux... there are a few ebay auctions going that I could win for a lot less than $50 though... guess we'll have to see...

Thanks for the help!!!

Kitrik