View Full Version : With a heavy heart, I say...Goodbye...

Steven Cedrone
08-09-2003, 07:54 PM
Relax, not goodbye to 'Thoughts!!! :wink:

I say goodbye to my trusted friend and companion, my Jornada 548. My friend has been with me since the launch. I remember thinking "should I wait for the Ipaq or go with the Jornada" I chose the Jornada, and great choice it was!!! That great dark metal case, that rocker switch, what a heavenly device...

I've sat and watched as others let go and bought new units, but I waited...

Oh, how I longed for a better screen, but I waited...

And how I longed for more RAM, but still I waited...

Now as my 2215 sits charging, I can only feel a little sense of guilt. I love the new device, but I will miss the old one. And the worst part about it: I will be giving the Jornada to my daughters. It's unscathed body will, I fear, be damaged within a week. It's screen broken soon after...

Farewell my friend! I shall indeed miss you... :cry:

Steve

Kati Compton
08-09-2003, 08:12 PM
8O 8O 8O DON'T SCARE ME LIKE THAT!!! 8O 8O 8O

Janak Parekh
08-09-2003, 08:22 PM
Not when you're in a sunny Bryant Park, you won't. ;)

Congrats on the new iPAQ. I'm sure you'll love it.

--janak

p.s. Kati, didn't you know we hired you as insurance? ;) :lol:

Steven Cedrone
08-09-2003, 08:34 PM

Fooled ya' :wink:

Mwahahaha

Not when you're in a sunny Bryant Park, you won't. ;)

:way to go:

Congrats on the new iPAQ. I'm sure you'll love it.

Thanks! I know I will!!!

Steve

bljarv
08-09-2003, 10:48 PM
Let us know how long your old friend lasts in the hands of your daughters! :wink:

Steven Cedrone
08-10-2003, 12:41 AM
Let us know how long your old friend lasts in the hands of your daughters! :wink:

I'll keep you updated. Should be O.K. 'till the first time they fight over it...

I have this recurring nightmare about my 548 sailing accross the room...

Brrrr...I shiver when I think about it... :wink:

Steve

Thinkingmandavid
08-10-2003, 01:37 AM
I was wondering who was leaving this time. I didnt even look at the name:)
I can understand how you feel after using it for so long. THat is how I felt about my Revo PLus when it was stolen.

Janak Parekh
08-10-2003, 02:13 AM
I have this recurring nightmare about my 548 sailing accross the room...
Although, if there's any Pocket PC that can survive that, the 548 is it. :)

--janak

Hyperluminal
08-10-2003, 05:02 AM
Yeah Steve, you had me worried there... ;)

Congrats on getting a 2215 though.. they're nice! :D

Anthony Caruana
08-10-2003, 12:10 PM
Congratulations on moving to the 2215. I also used to have a 548 and I miss lots about it. If only my 2210 had a flip cover and a rocker it would be perfect (for me at least).

Steven Cedrone
08-10-2003, 02:13 PM
I made myself a promise: leave the 2215 in its box until my WriteShields and my Vaja case come...

Then I decided I should charge the battery and get a nice full charge...

Then I said, let me just play with it for a little while...

Needless to say, I broke my promise... :wink:

Steve

Gremmie
08-10-2003, 05:59 PM
I remember when I traded my iPAQ for a Casio E-200, I felt like I traded my dog in for a cookie. I gave up after a day and traded it back for my iPAQ.

gary
08-10-2003, 09:30 PM
I also just shelved my hp545 for a shiny new 2215. I miss the rocker button and I worry when I cannot feel the weight of it in my pocket that it is not there. The flip cover was wonderful but now there is no turning back
--not with all of this speed and memory
-Gary

maximus
08-11-2003, 06:43 AM

:twak:
Duh. The subject should describe the actual content of the post !!! :bangin:

Phunkphantom
08-12-2003, 12:59 PM
Well actually it does!
All Steve has done is leave out the detail, and we all assumed the worst...

JvanEkris
08-12-2003, 04:22 PM

I say goodbye to my trusted friend and companion, my Jornada 548. My friend has been with me since the launch. I remember thinking "should I wait for the Ipaq or go with the Jornada" I chose the Jornada, and great choice it was!!! That great dark metal case, that rocker switch, what a heavenly device...I still love it's cold metal case when it freezes. I switched to a Loox about a year ago, i kept my Jornada to myself and still look at it from time to time. The Loox outperforms the Jornada in every way (and the Ipaq you bought is even better!!), but still i have some strange sentiment towards the Jornada. It's hard case, it's rubber grippings, the cold solid feel of the steel. In some way, the Loox is just a device, and the Jornada a kind of friend.....
And the worst part about it: I will be giving the Jornada to my daughters. It's unscathed body will, I fear, be damaged within a week. It's screen broken soon after...

SteveI thought about giving it to my girlfriend. Instead of that, i could not give a friend away. I bought her a Jornada 525 instead. Seeing it now, after a year, i am verry glad. It's dented, scratched etc. I'm glad i saved my friend from this :)

Jaap

whatsnext?
08-12-2003, 05:28 PM
yes my first true device was a 548. the fun i had with that device :wink:
it was dropped dented abused and just about anything else you can imagine. it is really weird that it didn't die from the beatings but from screen problems :cry: So i switched to the 568 and loved it almost as much( it could take almost the same amount of beatings), but, sadly, the time has come and my 568 has reached the end. :cry: So i say farewell to the jornada series with much sadness in my heart. If only, if only...

both of my jornadas died from screen problems( death by screening :razzing:) so i hope the same wont happen to my next device. :roll:

so fare ye well my faithful friend!

Don Tolson
08-13-2003, 09:20 PM
...have to admit the only reason I haven't moved to the IPAQ 221x is the lack of flip cover, rocker, and record button. Maybe the 4000 series?

Glad to hear you're still with us, Steve... love that sense of humour...

bsebi
08-14-2003, 01:20 AM

I say goodbye to my trusted friend and companion, my Jornada 548. My friend has been with me since the launch. I remember thinking "should I wait for the Ipaq or go with the Jornada" I chose the Jornada, and great choice it was!!! That great dark metal case, that rocker switch, what a heavenly device...

I've sat and watched as others let go and bought new units, but I waited...

Oh, how I longed for a better screen, but I waited...

And how I longed for more RAM, but still I waited...

Now as my 2215 sits charging, I can only feel a little sense of guilt. I love the new device, but I will miss the old one. And the worst part about it: I will be giving the Jornada to my daughters. It's unscathed body will, I fear, be damaged within a week. It's screen broken soon after...

Steve

I wouldn't be suprised to find in your backyard a little cemetery with little gravestones on which you can read words like:

"Here rests my beloved Jornada 548, a trusty friend that filled my life with joy and happiness. Farewell my friend! I shall indeed miss you... :cry: " etc

:)

Steven Cedrone
08-14-2003, 01:42 AM
I wouldn't be suprised to find in your backyard a little cemetery with little gravestones on which you can read words like:

"Here rests my beloved Jornada 548, a trusty friend that filled my life with joy and happiness. Farewell my friend! I shall indeed miss you... :cry: " etc

:)

Complete with emoticon!!! :way to go:

Steve

Janak Parekh
08-14-2003, 02:01 AM
What I want to see is the animated beanie and the animated crying emoticon on the tombstone. :lol:

--janak

bsebi
08-14-2003, 10:22 PM
What I want to see is the animated beanie and the animated crying emoticon on the tombstone. :lol:

--janak

Wouldn't that be a heck of a high tech tombstone?

LCD and Plasma tombstones for sale. Fully programmable, 64k colors graphic display, built in smileys and cutomizable themes. USB port for uploading your own themes. On sale now on select stores.

Sebi

Janak Parekh
08-17-2003, 04:58 AM
Wouldn't that be a heck of a high tech tombstone?
Absolutely! We're nothing but high-tech here, aren't we? :way to go:

--janak

Paula
08-30-2003, 12:30 PM
:D

I have to thank you guys for the chuckles this thread has given me tonight. I have never read/heard such forlorn sentiment about a device in my life. :lol:

Now I don't mean to belittle your pain, but really, it has to be a male gene thing that women just don't have (however, I did get the male "must have gadgets" gene). You would think that you were giving up a loved one or beloved pet. Poor guys. :wink:

Cheers
Paula

Steven Cedrone
08-30-2003, 02:08 PM
You would think that you were giving up a loved one or beloved pet. Poor guys. :wink:

I'll have you know, that device was more faithful than my family...or the dog... :lol:

A partnership like that, you find once in a lifetime (I can't even bring myself to delete that partnership yet...)... :wink:

Steve

JD Silver
08-30-2003, 05:34 PM
I hoope you enjoy the 2215, it is an excellent value! :D

Jerry Raia
08-30-2003, 06:51 PM
I'm worried about this bunch.

Paula
08-31-2003, 12:31 AM
:lol:

Lasher I'm with you on this one. I'm worried :| about Steve and the loss of his best mate the Jornada. Hey Steve, did you have a pet name for it? :wink:

Steve, I'm sure one day you will find another love (it may or may not be the 2215) and will put the Jornada aside and then you'll be able to walk away without sadness. Oh boy, this sounds like a great premise for a soap opera - "All My PPCs", "As the Jornada Turns", "The Jornada and the Beautiful". I don't have to change the name of this one, the best fit by far is "Passions". :lol:

Cheers
Paula

Janak Parekh
08-31-2003, 12:36 AM
Oh boy, this sounds like a great premise for a soap opera - "All My PPCs", "As the Jornada Turns", "The Jornada and the Beautiful". I don't have to change the name of this one, the best fit by far is "Passions". :lol:
Believe me, you're not the first to think of what has gone on around here as a soap opera. :lol: If you're REALLY curious as to how soapy we've gotten around here, check out these two threads:

My favourite color is... (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4842)
eBooks you can actually afford (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3151)

Longtime PPCT readers will wince at the thought of those two. ;) There's a couple of other classics...

--janak

Steven Cedrone
08-31-2003, 12:58 AM
My favourite color is... (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4842)
eBooks you can actually afford (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3151)

Great... :wink:

You just had to bring those two up, huh??? One of them is unlocked, so I have a bet:

Who will be the first to resurrect it, ctmagnus or maximus??? :roll:

Steve

Janak Parekh
08-31-2003, 12:59 AM
Sorry, but if they wanted to resurrect it, they would have done so already. :lol:

I half-debated locking that one...

--janak

Paula
08-31-2003, 04:54 AM
Believe me, you're not the first to think of what has gone on around here as a soap opera. :lol: If you're REALLY curious as to how soapy we've gotten around here, check out these two threads:

Longtime PPCT readers will wince at the thought of those two. ;) There's a couple of other classics...

--janak

I opened these pages and they are 10 and 16 pages long. 8O
Looks like I have some great reading ahead of me. :roll:

:lol:
I won't have to buy ebooks with this kind of entertaining reading awaiting me

Janak thanks for the recommended reading list. :wink:

Cheers
Paula

Janak Parekh
08-31-2003, 04:56 AM
Heh. They're rather acerbic, I warn you.

Actually, I think the most bizarre soap opera is the one that just played out. Take a look at this thread about compulsive shopping (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17358&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0) when you're done with the others.

We definitely have an interesting community here. ;) Most of the time, though, it is quite friendly, so don't be too frightened by these threads.

--janak

Paula
08-31-2003, 05:20 AM
Janak,
I just came back to add to my last post, but here you are, suggesting more great reading. 8O

I just started reading "My Favorite color is..." and I am laughing my body parts off. This is great stuff. I am so happy that all of you have managed to keep your humor readily available and willing to share at all times. There are other boards that --- ahum --- require that you remain focused and serious at all times. :? I don't visit or post there anymore.

BTW I don't scare easily. 0X

Cheers
Paula

Jerry Raia
08-31-2003, 05:56 AM
Ok, now im scared. :shocked!:

Janak Parekh
08-31-2003, 06:12 AM
Ok, now im scared. :shocked!:
About what? These threads that have formed the backbone (well, maybe just a regular bone) of our community? :lol:

Paula: sounds like you fit right in. Welcome to our little home. ;) I've got quite a few more links, but I think Steve would kill me if I kept on digging out old threads. :oops:

Speaking of which, Steve, feel free to moderate this off-topic veer on this off-topic thread as you wish.

--janak

Jerry Raia
08-31-2003, 06:14 AM
I fear I am becoming like all of you. 8O

Paula
08-31-2003, 08:12 AM
I just finsihed reading the threads :robot: and I'm unscathed. :silly:
You can't have a great board without some tension :soapbox: now and again, mixed with smart-ass humor. :alfdance: But in the end, everyone comes together :grouphug: and bemoans the loss of their first love --- their PPCs.

Paula: sounds like you fit right in. Welcome to our little home. ;) I've got quite a few more links, but I think Steve would kill me if I kept on digging out old threads. :oops:

--janak

Thanks Janak. I like it here. I have been visiting for a while now but just recently realized that I wasn't registered.
Now please keep in mind that I do not have a PPC yet, but will be ordering one very soon. So when I get it (h2215) I will be asking all the obnoxious newbie questions that one has even though I having been reading PPC boards for quite a while.

To add an on-topic comment; I fell in love with the Jornada 568 (the most beautiful PPC ever created, IMHO), but then those mean people at HP decided to discontinue it. Since then I have been waiting for the "perfect" PPC (long and fruitless wait). Well I can't wait any longer. :mrgreen: I thought about waiting for the DEMOmobile show, just to see what HP has up its sleeve (h4000 series ), but whatever is shown won't be available for a few more months and frankly I sick of waiting.

Thanks guys for making this a great place to be.

Cheers
Paula

maximus
09-01-2003, 02:29 AM
You just had to bring those two up, huh??? One of them is unlocked, so I have a bet:

Steve

I am betting on ctmagnus :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sorry, but if they wanted to resurrect it, they would have done so already.

I prefer to stay away from a heated topic, or a popular thread. One of the moderators in this forum kept on splitting my posts :razz: :mrgreen:

Now please keep in mind that I do not have a PPC yet, but will be ordering one very soon. So when I get it (h2215) I will be asking all the obnoxious newbie questions that one has even though I having been reading PPC boards for quite a while.

See you soon ! Just remember that Janak and Steve C. are two of the nicest guy around. :mrgreen: ... Lets wait until ctmagnus finds this thread. he heh.

Janak Parekh
09-01-2003, 02:52 AM
But in the end, everyone comes together :grouphug: and bemoans the loss of their first love --- their PPCs.
I see you're no longer afraid of us doing just that... :robot: :lol: Just wait until you own one.

You're always welcome to ask questions, so don't worry about it.

To add an on-topic comment; I fell in love with the Jornada 568 (the most beautiful PPC ever created, IMHO), but then those mean people at HP decided to discontinue it.
It's indeed one of the sad casualties of the HP-Compaq merger. :( You're not the first to say it, and you won't be the last.

--janak

Paula
09-02-2003, 10:56 AM
Maximus, I agree janak and Steve do seem very nice as I'm sure everyone else here is as well. :D

Janak, Nah... you guys don't scare me. 8O

Janak, I assure you the moment my PPC arrives the questions will begin. Now I just have to decide which one I want. I had decided on the h2215 but I saw the Dell Axim today for the first time and to be honest I really liked it. BUT then again, I haven't seen the 2215 in person yet. :?:

It's this kind of indecision and lack of devices to actually hold in my hand and test is what has kept me from buying anything. :cry:

Cheers
Paula

PetiteFlower
09-02-2003, 01:26 PM
Man, I gotta stop reading this board before work, now I'm running late!

Janak Parekh
09-02-2003, 07:34 PM
Janak, I assure you the moment my PPC arrives the questions will begin. Now I just have to decide which one I want. I had decided on the h2215 but I saw the Dell Axim today for the first time and to be honest I really liked it. BUT then again, I haven't seen the 2215 in person yet. :?:
I haven't held them in my hand, either. :cry: From what I've heard, though, the 2215 is quite a bit smaller. If size is important, go with the 2215; otherwise the Axim is quite nice as well. It's also a function of cost...

--janak

JustinGTP
09-02-2003, 11:28 PM
Hello!

I also have the HP 2215, and it is quite a lot smaller than the rest. It makes it much more mobile, and the ability for it to fit in the pocket of ones clothes is much better :D!

-Justin.

maximus
09-03-2003, 11:30 AM
Now I just have to decide which one I want. I had decided on the h2215 but I saw the Dell Axim today for the first time and to be honest I really liked it. BUT then again, I haven't seen the 2215 in person yet. :?:

Well, if you can live for another month without PPC, I think you should wait for the upcoming products from Dell, the X3 and X7.

Paula
09-04-2003, 10:35 AM
What intrigues me more than the upcoming Dells (although they do look good) are the upcoming products from HP which are the next level 2xxx and the 4xxx series. I am hoping that HP displays everything they plan on selling in the next few months at the DEMOMobile show in 2 weeks. Is anyone going to this show?

Cheers
Paula

Thinkingmandavid
09-04-2003, 04:20 PM
I am not much of a dell fan, the units for me are too thick. seems to me the 2215 is a great choice due to size and expandability. I have thought about getting one myself but waiting to see what else comes my way. I certainly could use a new one that is for sure. Seems my life has gotten a little faster since I just started grad school. before anyone aks, i am not using the ppc with a keyboard in class. Just seems to me that the screen is too small. I am considering a Fujitsu P1000. actually I have talked about it so many times, most everyone already knows how much I love Fujitsu products!:) I know it is tough letting go of a ppc, I think it is because it becomes such a major part of our lives. Everytime we need some kind of info we go look in it first. If it wasnt there then the first question becomes, why wasnt it there to begin wtih, since that is the whole Idea of owning one.

Janak Parekh
09-04-2003, 08:33 PM
I am hoping that HP displays everything they plan on selling in the next few months at the DEMOMobile show in 2 weeks. Is anyone going to this show?
Not I, as I'm a little too far away. ;) However, I will be at PC Expo, and hopefully they'll have a presence there, in which case I'll be armed with a camera.

--janak

Paula
09-05-2003, 08:30 AM
Janak,
Where and when is the PC Expo and do you have a macro lens (ok a zoom will be acceptable) for your camera? :lol:
Not that I want to see every little detail or anything like that. :wink:

To Everyone who loves the 2215: So do I, but I want 128mb RAM and a file store large enough to really be considered a file store. I would also love wifi instead of BT. Soooo if HP doesn't front up with the goods, I'm looking for I will buy the 2215. BUT I know as soon as I buy the 2215 it will be discontinued and they will bring out the 2245, then the 2235 etc.

Cheers
Paula

Jon
09-05-2003, 10:15 PM
I am considering the ipaq 2215. I have never had a handheld before. I want to use outlook for contacts and possibly e-mail. Want to keep some simple spreadesheet files and launch power point presentations.

Is the 2215 a good bet for that?

Jon
09-05-2003, 10:16 PM
Paula,

My understanding is that you can get the 2215 and then add the wifi later. It will accept it.

Janak Parekh
09-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Where and when is the PC Expo and do you have a macro lens (ok a zoom will be acceptable) for your camera? :lol:
PC Expo is in New York. As for the shots, I have a PowerShot S230 handy, and if my officemate comes, resolution won't be an issue -- he's got a EOS 10D.

Not that I want to see every little detail or anything like that. :wink:
See my CeBIT article (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,14869), and you'll see what I mean. ;)

--janak

Janak Parekh
09-05-2003, 10:21 PM
My understanding is that you can get the 2215 and then add the wifi later. It will accept it.
Not internally -- that's what I think Paula wants. You'd have to get CF or SDIO WiFi for the 2215.

--janak

Jon
09-05-2003, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the clarification. Since this is one of the features I am trying to evaluate, let me ask you (and any others)... How often woudl you use wifi? It's only for wireless internet, right?

Janak,

Can you comment on my original post in this thread where I state my needs and ask if the 2215 is sufficient? Go the end of the previosu page, please. Thanks!

Jon
09-05-2003, 10:26 PM
One other thing:

Is it true that the 2215 has a sim slot in the back...as if to be used fro a phone later on?

Janak Parekh
09-05-2003, 10:28 PM
I am considering the ipaq 2215. I have never had a handheld before. I want to use outlook for contacts and possibly e-mail. Want to keep some simple spreadesheet files and launch power point presentations.
Contacts - no problem. Email - no problem, although keep in mind there are different ways of accessing about it. Spreadsheets - if you don't need to keep much formatting, the built-in Pocket Excel works perfectly, otherwise there are third-party solutions. Powerpoint - not built in, but if you want to just show them there are a number of third-party tools to do just that.

Sounds like the 2215 would be a great fit for you.

--janak

Janak Parekh
09-05-2003, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the clarification. Since this is one of the features I am trying to evaluate, let me ask you (and any others)... How often woudl you use wifi? It's only for wireless internet, right?
Yes, but "only" is a relative term. ;) Depending on where you are, WiFi might be a big asset to a Pocket PC. Assuming a CF/SD card isn't too much trouble for you, the 2215 would do the job nicely.

Is it true that the 2215 has a sim slot in the back...as if to be used fro a phone later on?
No. The 54xx and 55xx units have a SIM slot, but it's disabled anyway. You can get a CF GSM/GPRS or CDMA phone card, but I don't recommend it for use as a phone.

--janak

p.s. Jon, start a new thread with these questions -- more people are likely to reply to your post as opposed to going through this buried one. ;)

JustinGTP
09-05-2003, 10:32 PM
A WIFI card is also a way of accessing the internet and a local network. If you go down to a bookstore that has wireless network you can connect to it. Also, if you have a wireless network in your house, you use you WIFI Enabled PPC and connect to the interenet while you are in the bathroom, living room, outside, (all depends of range tho) and you can put files onto your PC into its Shared folder and take stuff from its Shared folder and put in onto your ppc. A 2215 is excelllent, I have one, it the nicest and smallest I have seen!

-Justin.

Jon
09-05-2003, 10:36 PM
I will start that new thread, Janek.

Thanks much!

Jon
09-05-2003, 10:47 PM
Justin,

I started a new thread. I would be interested in your views to my now re-worded question in that new thread. Especially as regards to using PowerPoint. Thanks for your help. :)

JustinGTP
09-05-2003, 10:49 PM
Will do.

Paula
09-06-2003, 01:33 AM
PC Expo is in New York. As for the shots, I have a PowerShot S230 handy, and if my officemate comes, resolution won't be an issue -- he's got a EOS 10D.

See my CeBIT article (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,14869), and you'll see what I mean. ;)

--janak

Ahhh Janak, you sure do know how to take great pictures. :)
All I ask is that you remember me when you drool over the new HPs (or not) and take many close-ups of any HP device.

So, the PC Expo starts a day before the DEMOMobile show. I do hope HP makes a good showing in NY as well.

What is HP's pattern for showing new devices? Do they only show what they will be offereing at Xmas time or will they expand the time frame and show prototypes of what they will be offering in early 2004?

Jon, Janak is right. I do want the wifi built in. But , I really do like the 2215 and hope that HP will be offering a new model in the 2000 series range before the end of the year that has 128 RAM at the very least. I can live without the built-in wifi (thinking sd/wifi card) but more memory is a really strong draw for me. Wireless is not that big in New Zealand yet. Although we do have access points scattered around the CBD (Central Business District) in downtown Auckland. Oh and I can't forget the access points in Starbucks. :mrgreen:
Yup there is nothing like Chai tea and a wifi access point to draw me into Starbucks. :lol:

Cheers
Paula

Janak Parekh
09-06-2003, 01:39 AM
Ahhh Janak, you sure do know how to take great pictures. :)
:oops: They're not that good. I don't think I'll get money for them... :lol:

All I ask is that you remember me when you drool over the new HPs (or not) and take many close-ups of any HP device.
I'll try. :)

What is HP's pattern for showing new devices? Do they only show what they will be offereing at Xmas time or will they expand the time frame and show prototypes of what they will be offering in early 2004?
They generally don't show prototypes unless they've announced them. So, most likely you'll see the 2215 next to other goodies. HP does sometimes hold "secret" showings in a different hotel in NYC during tech conferences, but I'm not in the "in" crowd... yet. And besides, I'd have to sign an NDA for those. :(

--janak