View Full Version : XCPUScalar vs Pocket Hackmaster

bazza
08-09-2003, 11:58 AM
I'm new to overclocking utilities. Any thoughts on which is the better program? Had a look at the Brighthand forum (200 Pages) :?

Interested in ease of use, stability and OC speeds!

isilver
08-09-2003, 01:33 PM
I use Pocket Hackmaster. It seems to run pretty stable and with my Dell Axim 400mhz it gives me about an extra 100mhz. However when I first started to use it I found it very confusing. It has a lot of possible settings which I myself do not understand how to use. I might be able to overclock even more.

bazza
08-09-2003, 01:50 PM
Thanks for replying. I have an HP 5550. On the Pocket Hackmaster website, settings have been submitted to run the CPU at 145% - I presume 580mhz. Can you do this with stability? Is screen flicker a problem at this speed? Apparently it is recommended that this speed be used for short periods of time. I noticed that XCPUScalar recommend 472mhz (generally)and 500mhz for short periods only. It also has an autoscale feature which adjusts OC and UC. Does pockethackmaster do this also?

Fzara
08-09-2003, 09:46 PM
Thanks for replying. I have an HP 5550. On the Pocket Hackmaster website, settings have been submitted to run the CPU at 145% - I presume 580mhz. Can you do this with stability? Is screen flicker a problem at this speed? Apparently it is recommended that this speed be used for short periods of time. I noticed that XCPUScalar recommend 472mhz (generally)and 500mhz for short periods only. It also has an autoscale feature which adjusts OC and UC. Does pockethackmaster do this also?

I reccomend that you buy this program. PHM is an amazing program, which, on my Axim with the Intel PXA255 processor, i've been able to get my processor up to 590mhz.

However, before you buy the program, email [email protected] to make sure there are profiles for your HP 5550 PPC.

If you have any questions,PM me and i'll give you a step-by-step guide on what features to enable and what options are more stable.

bazza
08-15-2003, 11:31 AM
Thanks for your advice! :D Bought both programs and used them for a week. Settled with PHM - can get speed upto 530mhz - unable to do this on XCPUscalar (only472mhz). Found XCPU to be good minimum adjustment and ran in the background. PHM however has much more adjustability. When I ran the speed at 530mhz there was noticeable improvement over XCPu at 472mhz.

With PHM have found it to be stable. No crashes and running for upto 40 mins at a time. Benchmarks have been posted on Brighthand (and a more detailed discussion). No probs with PDA so far.

Conclusion: PHM overall seems best for me because of the top speed and adjustability. XCPU is also good however lacks the adjustability and only reaches (public release) 472mhz on my PPC. I understand there is a 530mhz release coming soon.

Final note: Try overclocking,(know the risks), Palm users will be blown away by the speed of your PPC. :microwave:

:byebye:

Nausicaa
08-15-2003, 10:51 PM
I just bought PHM for my Dell Axim X5 300 Mhz machine. Could anyone please help me with how to use this thing? I don't want to fry my PPC!! :D

Fzara
08-16-2003, 02:52 AM
I just bought PHM for my Dell Axim X5 300 Mhz machine. Could anyone please help me with how to use this thing? I don't want to fry my PPC!! :D

The first thing you need to do is find out what processor you have: The Intel PXA250, or the Intel PXA255. You can do this by going to Start-Settings-System-About.

Before you do anything, you should have the program load the default Dell Axim X5 400mhz profiles, while will be pre-configured for you Axim.

The main options I have enabled for my Dell Axim X5 400mhz, PXA255 are:
Minimize on Startup
Register to Startup
Sticky CPU Speed
Sticky MEMCLIK
Change CPU speed on startup
Change MEMCLIK on startup
Turbo Mode
Disable LCD on Frequency Changes

This enables the device to startup at 590mhz, and to have the program minimized after the device is turned on/

Intel PXA250 processors:
If you notice, when you minimize the program you get a box on the bottom right. Click to box-CPU Clock-99.5mhz LCD-and select your desired speed.
Max you should go is 472, as the PXA250 does not have a faster bus compard to the PXA255 processor.

Intel PXA255 processors
If you notice, when you minimize the program you get a box on the bottom right. Click to box-CPU Clock-118.0mhz LCD-and select your desired speed.
Max I go is 590mhz; anything higher will crash your system.

I hope this helps at least, or at least got you started. PHM is an awesome program, and I hope you get it working. :way to go:

Nausicaa
08-16-2003, 03:04 AM
Thanks a lot for your help. I have the A04 2003 OS, so will this program even help me very much? I'm still waiting to get my registration number.

William57
08-16-2003, 11:30 AM
Uhhh, I'm sorry. Its not that I am against overclocking. I am watercooled as it is on my desktop. But please tell me why the hell would you overclock a PDA!?! It'll only waste precious battery life and make the damn things hotter. That being said, kudos on the 590MHz!

bazza
08-17-2003, 12:51 AM
Why catch a bus when you can drive a Ferrari? :D Sure a Ferrari uses more fuel - but what the hell! :onfire: Seriously, the lack of speed of PPC has been an annoying feature (especially when compared to Palms). Increases in processor speed and RAM have helped bridge the gap ( I Still think that my Sony Clie is faster). PHM overclocks not only the CPU also RAM and screen.

Although I have used my PPC for extended periods of time, mostly I use it for 10 mins at a go. For me the battery drain (not nearly as much as you think) is a fair trade off - although, you can power down your CPU to preserve battery power! For more detail there is a thread over at Brighthand "Change the speed of your xscale cpu" - 2972 replies and 298 pages. Have a read and you decide. For me the extra performance is worth it and it is addictive!! :crazyeyes:

Don't try it because there's no going back!!

Fzara
08-18-2003, 01:40 PM
Uhhh, I'm sorry. Its not that I am against overclocking. I am watercooled as it is on my desktop. But please tell me why the hell would you overclock a PDA!?! It'll only waste precious battery life and make the damn things hotter. That being said, kudos on the 590MHz!

You should take a serious look at how fast 590mhz is. It'll blow your socks away!

That being said, i've also been able to underclock to close to 200mhz when playing music on the Axim.

AppleMac
08-18-2003, 05:28 PM
590mhz??!! 8O
That's just 10mhz slower than my desktop PC!!!!!!!!!!! 8O 8O 8O
I wonder what PHM would do to the new Samsung 533mhz processor.

Kati Compton
08-18-2003, 07:05 PM
Remember that MHz aren't everything. Your desktop PC is still more powerful. For one thing, it can do floating point math. ;) And divide...

bazza
08-18-2003, 11:04 PM
But you can't put it in your pocket!!! :wink:

:rotfl:

Ok, Ok I have moved to 592MHZ. Try the following on PHM:

L=40
M=4x
N=1.

Will try to get some Benchmarks later in the week. If anyone has some already - would be very interested!

absolutVenky
08-19-2003, 12:07 AM
Does PHM support the iPAQ 2215?

bazza
08-19-2003, 01:47 AM
Appears to work with this device. check -out thread:

http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=e0164044aa24c610693ce240f3b623f3&threadid=82693&perpage=10&highlight=overclocking&pagenumber=2

for more detail.

Fzara
08-19-2003, 12:34 PM
But you can't put it in your pocket!!! :wink:

:rotfl:

Ok, Ok I have moved to 592MHZ. Try the following on PHM:

L=40
M=4x
N=1.

Will try to get some Benchmarks later in the week. If anyone has some already - would be very interested!

Does that work!?!? Theres no way i'm trying a 147mhz LCD frequency on PHM...

For one, I doubt the PXA255 Axim can handle that.

bazza
08-20-2003, 09:10 AM
It does work with my HP 5550 - but tread carefully!! There have been some reports of crashes at this speed:

http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=87021&perpage=10&pagenumber=3

So far so good for me .. I'll try and post some benchmarks on Friday.

Have run at 660mhz but locked after a few mins.

528Mhz still running problem free.

rhmorrison
08-20-2003, 10:27 AM
Although I have used my PPC for extended periods of time, mostly I use it for 10 mins at a go. For me the battery drain (not nearly as much as you think) is a fair trade off - although, you can power down your CPU to preserve battery power!Hey, GREAT IDEA! :treadmill:

Set it to go REALLY FAST so that you have to turn it off to prevent it from melting down or using up all of the battery power!!

bazza
08-21-2003, 08:42 AM
I take your point! :D

:wink: It got me thinking which is better - speed or power? If you use less power it won't get hot. In the end I decided that power is better because speed needs power!

Therefore I decided that I should save power to get more speed - no sorry I meant that I should save power so that (besides being cooler), If I need speed I have power to get more speed- no, no sorry:
I should save power so that If I want to, I have power, to use the power to get more speed - which requires more power!!!!

Thus I started on my PPC; How to get more power?
Removed the CPU (it was getting to hot & soaked up power) - not enough! removed the LCD & the battery in fact removed everything except for the on/off switch and the reserve battery. Now there is no problem with heat or for that matter power!

Here let me demonstrate - you turn this switch on - oh it is getting hot - better turn it off to conserve power. Got me thinking, which is better - speed or power?......... :wink:

nice_micael
08-21-2003, 09:09 AM
Reaading this tread makes wanna overclock my my 5550 . But here are some questions. What do i really earn by overclocking it? What are the disadvantages?

Fzara
08-21-2003, 10:42 PM
Reaading this tread makes wanna overclock my my 5550 . But here are some questions. What do i really earn by overclocking it? What are the disadvantages?

Well, everything loads up super fast. Especially with WM2003, I would expect your 5550 to be amazingly and blazingly fast.

Of course, your unit gets hotter faster, and your battery life is taken as an expense to more speed.

Since I have my 590mhz Axim churning away, super fast, it has become a norm for me. If I need to underclock to save power, I become disgusted with the speed of the 400mhz. Even simple tasks, like PI, PIE, Flexwallet, Pocket Music; all seem to be running extremely smooth and fast.