View Full Version : IPAQ 3580 Bluetooth Internet problems - Help Plz.

robjess
08-09-2003, 08:16 AM
Hi Im a Newbie..

I have a Compaq Ipaq 3850. I have a CF Marvin Bluetooth card, which installed BlueSoeil software on my 3850.

On my PC I have a Billionton USB Bluetooth Dongle.

I can get the PC and the Ipaq to see each other fine. But I cant seem to browse the internet on my IPAQ.

My internet setup is, Windows XP, Broadband Cable Modem. The Cable modem is plugged into the same PC that the USB Bluetooth dongle is in. I have internet sharing turned on this PC (lets call it the server), as it is sharing the cable modem connection with 2 other PCs via a HUB.

All of the PC's are having their IP's assigned automatically. All PC's can share the internet connection fine, except for the IPAQ.

I assume I dont have the settings set up write on the IPAQ. Can someone help me out here please.. its been driving me mad all day..

Thanks in advance (I hope!)

Anthony Caruana
08-09-2003, 09:24 AM
Check out your ActiveSync settings. Under Tools | Options there is a Pass Through option. I thnk it needs to be set to Internet for you to be able to browse the Internet.

Check out www.geekzone.co.nz for the best source of bluetooth guides around!

surur
08-09-2003, 09:28 AM
Its not too complicated actually, but hopefully this solution wont screw up the rest of your network.

all explanations general, as I dont have your setup (mine is a loox and tecom dongle)

First you need to enable the LAN access service on your computer in the bluetooth service setup, and on your PPC in the same place.

Next you should enable ICS for that bluetooth network adaptor (use the ICS setup wizard).

Then connect, and bob should be your uncle.

Hope it works

Surur

robjess
08-09-2003, 09:30 AM
Huh? I dont have activesync set up on that PC. I synch with my other PC.

I thought the bluetooth capability meant I didnt need to use activesynch or any pass through..

I know I can browse the web when the Ipaq is in the cradle.. but Im trying to do it bluetooth, so I can be laying on the lounge..

Anthony Caruana
08-09-2003, 11:10 AM
Huh? I dont have activesync set up on that PC. I synch with my other PC.

I am guessing that you can create a bluetooth pairing between the PC and your PDA and then use Internet Connection Sharing to browse the Internet.

Another way is to install Activesync on your second pc but not create a partnership for syncing. You can use the undocumented switches at http://www.cewindows.net/applications/undocumentedactivesync.htm to setup the PC to work in kiosk or "guest only" mode so that you don't need to create a partnership. You can then use the pass through option (might be easier than ICS?

Hope this helps

robjess
08-10-2003, 06:38 AM
Anthony,

No the problem is that I can browse the internet on my PPC via the Bluetooth pairing.. I can browse via activesynch.. its like this:

Lets call my two PC's PC Server and PC-Client, and my Ipaq PPC.

PC Server is sharing the Internet connect to PC-Client via a hub. My PPC has an activesynch connection to PC-client, and it can browse the web through PC-Clent whilst in its cradle.

I have the USB Bluetooth dongle plugged into PC Server. Taking the PPC out of the crade, and when not in activesynch mode, I have PPC paired with PC Server and I can connect to the network ok. The problem is that I cant browse the web through the bluetooth pairing with PC Server.

All IPs are assigned automatically for all PCs and PPC.

?!?

robjess
08-11-2003, 10:56 AM
Eek!! That should read, I can NOT browse the internet on the PPC via the Blue tooth pairing, but can via the active synch..

Ideas?

Martin I Pettinger
08-14-2003, 01:57 PM
robjess

I had the same problem as you with the Mavin Card and the iPAQ 3850. There is a thread in the help forum of bluetoothnews.com. Look for Bluetooth Experiences - Day 1 and Bluetooth - Week 2 - Success at last (But only once) Hopefully there is something in these posts that will help you. I actually sold of the Mavin card on eBay at a small loss and got a (I think) Brando Card which works just great. Let me know how you get on.

Martin

KiLLiN-TiMe
08-20-2003, 06:19 PM
I have an Ambicom blue tooth adapter and their tech support told me to do this.
Go to your control panel and go to the system settings you should find your blue tooth adapter and some ports that are assigned to them (with my adapter at least) . find out which one is assigned to Serial and remember that com port.
Open activesync and go to the connections tab. Uncheck all of the options. then choose that serial port. apply those settings. after you are done you can check the other settings such as usb, ect...

On the Pocket PC turn your bluetooth and open the bluetooth manager. click new and connect. scroll down to Activesync via bluetooth.
follow the wizard and that should be it.

now you should be able to sync your unit through bluetooth and surf through this same connection.

to connect turn on blue tooth then open your bluetooth manager. you should find a Activesync connection (not sure if the wizard asked me if i wanted to save that or it just did... but i have one in there.) that you can click on. you should see activesync open on your desktop machine and now you can surf.

Hope this helps. Worked for me.

freitasm
08-21-2003, 12:00 AM
Check out www.geekzone.co.nz for the best source of bluetooth guides around!

Thanks, Anthony.

robjess, your problem probably is the IP automatic assignment - ICS will only work with 192.168.0.x range, so you might want to move your current network out of this range if this is the case. As Anthony suggested, have a look on Geekzone and you'll find configuration information, checklists and other experiences there.