View Full Version : To ask the unspeakable...

stitics
08-09-2003, 07:40 AM
Here I sit, killing time and drinking beer, and a question pops into my head. At the risk of offending (though none is intended) I pose the preceding query?

The options listed were gleaned from the "What Are The New Standards And When Do They Take Effect?" section of the Racial and Ethnic Classifications Used in Census 2000 and Beyond site of the U.S. Census Bureau (http://www.census.gov/population/www/socdemo/race/racefactcb.html).

I apologize that there is not any way that I know of to allow one to check multiple boxes, so I have reinstated the disallowed "Multiracial" category.

Also, I apologize that all the categories are obviously American based categories.

stitics
08-09-2003, 09:31 AM
I need more people to either reply to or vote on this so that people won't be afraid to do both. At this point I fear that people may be afraid that the vote will be too easily affiliated with the post.

Jacob
08-09-2003, 01:24 PM
These are american categories and no category for hispanic? :wink:

TopDog
08-09-2003, 01:44 PM
And the point of this poll being?

easylife
08-09-2003, 02:07 PM
Hmm... :? I thought the Random User Surveys asked this, but it turns out that the closest one is this one:
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5654

stitics
08-09-2003, 07:13 PM
And the point of this poll being?

The point of this poll is (much like many of the other polls) merely curiosity of the author.

Well, the census page addresses that issue thusly:

With the OMB's approval, the Census 2000 questionnaires also include a sixth racial category: Some Other Race. There are also two minimum categories for ethnicity: Hispanic or Latino and Not Hispanic or Latino. Hispanics and Latinos may be of any race.

I did, however, neglect to include the "Some Other Race" category, and I apologize for that.

Excalliber
08-11-2003, 05:07 AM
Well, my father is Italian, and my mother is Palestinian, so I went for multiracial. Of course, you could just say Mediterranean. :wink: I'm not very tan, however.

Jacob
08-11-2003, 05:17 AM

Well, the census page addresses that issue thusly:

With the OMB's approval, the Census 2000 questionnaires also include a sixth racial category: Some Other Race. There are also two minimum categories for ethnicity: Hispanic or Latino and Not Hispanic or Latino. Hispanics and Latinos may be of any race.

I did, however, neglect to include the "Some Other Race" category, and I apologize for that.

Of course this brings up the question... what defines a "race"??

Many people call Jews a "race" which makes me shudder since I do not consider it to be a race by any means.

maximus
08-11-2003, 07:03 AM
I am a human, with two eyes, one tongue, two legs, two hands ... I want to answer your poll, but the above option is not there ...

droppedd
08-11-2003, 07:23 AM
Of course this brings up the question... what defines a "race"??

well, he answered that one - for the purposes of this survey, whatever the 2000 census says it is :)

Many people call Jews a "race" which makes me shudder since I do not consider it to be a race by any means.

The concept of Judaism as a race went out with Hitler. Too much speculation as to race classification with no scientific evidence. After all, Jews are supposed to be short, big-nosed, bankers or accountants, and rich, right? whereas I am 6'2", have a very nice nose, major in computer science, and have no money (thanks to my new iPaq addiction :)).

actually, the concept of Judaism as race is even easier to dispute - go visit Israel and you'll see - Jews come in all shapes and colors, from tall to short, from blackest Ethopian to whitest Russian.
I had a Jewish girlfriend who was frequently mistaken for Arab/Middle Eastern, as a matter of fact - and my Jewish current girlfriend is pretty Aryan looking - blond hair and blue eyes :).

Calling Judaism a race makes as much sense as calling Christianity a race.

Jacob
08-11-2003, 03:58 PM
actually, the concept of Judaism as race is even easier to dispute - go visit Israel and you'll see - Jews come in all shapes and colors, from tall to short, from blackest Ethopian to whitest Russian.
I had a Jewish girlfriend who was frequently mistaken for Arab/Middle Eastern, as a matter of fact - and my Jewish current girlfriend is pretty Aryan looking - blond hair and blue eyes :).

Calling Judaism a race makes as much sense as calling Christianity a race.

Exactly my opinion! :D

I've been to Israel a few times.. I lived there for 5 months at one time. I'd love to go back to visit some time.

I still have heard people still classify Jews as a race - I think it's because prejudice against Jews is often called "racism".