View Full Version : Casesonline iPaq 2200 Series Case Review

Wallet Boy
08-09-2003, 02:39 AM
I just received my 2200 series case from Casesonline a few days ago. Since I haven't seen any real in-depth reviews for this case I figured that a mini-review would be helpful for someone looking into buying a case from Casesonline (http://www.casesonline.com).

Overview

I was extremely excited when the case I ordered from Casesonline finally arrived. I choose Casesonline since they were a HP Business Partner and was the only case manufacturer that offered cases in different colors then black or black/tan. I wanted something that stood out a bit more. My previous case had been Piel Frama for my Toshiba E335. I opened the package and was treated to a simple white box, nothing like the fancy red/green box that the Piel Frama came in. I wasn't worried, since the pictures on the Casesonline site promised a well-built and protective case.

http://home.comcast.net/~jmgutzman/overview.jpg
It's the case and color I ordered!

When I opened the package I was pleased that it was the case I wanted. I ordered the "slim" style case in the "verona" leather and "marine blue" color. I was expecting a little darker blue then what my case actually is, and it threw me off. It's not too bad in daylight or under florescent lighting, but in some indoor lighting situations it looks kind of purple . . . ugh.

http://home.comcast.net/~jmgutzman/overview2.jpg
The open view.

Upon opening the case I saw that Casesonline gave me two SD cardholders, a place to put some credit cards/business cards, and a side pocket to hold other small thin items. At this point I was pleased with case even though the color was not what I expected.

Materials and Construction

Once I picked up the case the leather surprised me. I choose the "verona" leather since I didn't want something shiny. The leather feels like soft suede and is easy on the hands. One thing that was odd was the missing smell of leather. It's there, but not overpowering. My guess this is due to coloring process, but it's only a guess. Stitching is well done for the most part and all the seams appear to be strong. Now comes my biggest beef with this case. It's doesn't use a "solid" construction. What I mean by this is the top part of the case, which holds the PPC is attached to the base by the same stretchy material as what the OEM slipper case sides are made of. I am not sure why Casesonline used this method, maybe to ensure that the PPC does not slip out? With the rubber grip sides of the 2200 I doubt there would've been a problem with the PPC falling out by accident.

http://home.comcast.net/~jmgutzman/sideview.jpg
The "stretchy" material.

Since the top is not firmly attached to the base of the case it allows the top part to move around. So far I have been unsuccessful in keeping the 2200 in the case so all the cutouts match. On mine they seem to want to slide to the right no matter how much I try to shift the PPC in the case. Also the top and bottom of the free-floating top are molded and I cannot push the 2200 far enough in the case to allow full access to the top portion of the screen. If I manually lift the bottom section then jam the 2200 in it will fit, but soon it works it way out due to the stretchy material. Perhaps this will become less of an issue as it gets broken in.

http://home.comcast.net/~jmgutzman/overview3.jpg
Slipping to the right.

Due to this free-floating design the sync connector is partially hidden. To connect the sync cable to charge the unit in the case you have to hold the top portion of the case up then plug the unit it. Again this may be because the case is not broken in, but the cutout is small and could've been made larger without compromising the design. You cannot use the 2200 in the case with the cradle, it will not fit.

http://home.comcast.net/~jmgutzman/bottomview.jpg
Cannot connect!

Also in the above picture you can see how the case closes. It is not a tight fit. Be aware, I have nothing in any of the pockets. Perhaps if they have a couple of SD cards it will close tighter?
You cannot access the stylus while the 2200 is in the case. I did not have a problem with this until I started using the case during my workday, then some shortcomings were evident. First the built in stylus holder is on the left side, once you get used to the OEM placement on the right side it takes a bit of practice to start using the holder. Second is that the stylus, when in the holder, is not protected at all. Anything could bump against the side of the case and potentially damage the tip. Other then this the holder is made of the stretchy material and I doubt the stylus would ever fall out by accident.

http://home.comcast.net/~jmgutzman/sideview2.jpg
Too bad they didn't make the flap run the entire length.

Conclusion

In this case, the disadvantages outweigh the advantages. I liked the materials and workmanship with the stitching, along with the storage options. The sloppy construction and general loose feeling I got from the case disappointed me. I will be trading this case in once some better designs are available.

disconnected
08-09-2003, 03:46 AM
Thanks for the review Wallet Boy. Great pictures.

I've been thinking about getting the zipper case for my 5555, mostly because of all the color choices, but even in their own picture of it the top seems uneven -- the top left part of the screen looks like it might be partly covered. The stylus wouldn't be exposed with the zipper closed, and I don't think the elastic would show quite as much on that case, but I think the iPAQ still might slide around some. I'd thought the elastic would be the kind that's very hard to stretch, but it sounds like it might be a little too stretchy. I must admit I'm still tempted though; I'd like something a little wild for a change, like the Lime Verona or the Ametista Firenze. Although if your Marine Blue Verona looks purple, I guess the colors might be even wilder than I thought. I hate to think what the British Blue Sienna looks like in person -- it even looks purple on my monitor.

robepps
08-09-2003, 04:07 AM
I was getting ready to post my own review of this same case, which I received yesterday, complete with pictures similar to yours (though not as well lit -- I've never been much of a photographer). But you beat me to it! My opinion is pretty much the same as yours -- looks good, very nice construction, but the cutouts don't quite line up, the power switch is difficult to press, and the bottom connector is unusable because that cutout isn't big enough. Also, I find that big strap that hangs off to the right rather annoying when I'm trying to hold the case and PDA in my right hand.

jgahr
08-09-2003, 04:56 AM
Don't forget the fact that you have to take the 22xx out of the case to reset since there is no hole in the back. Also, due to the design of the 22xx's speaker in back, and no hole in the case, the sound is muffled at best.

Ditto for me, I'm waiting for the Vaja flip case I ordered with my coupon.

:mrgreen:

Wallet Boy
08-09-2003, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the input! I forgot all about the speaker since I hardly use the alarm functions and during the few days that I've had the case, sound was not a factor. Since it is covered it will muffle the sound, but at close ranges I could still hear the system sounds and games. As far as the reset hole goes my personal feeling is that I like it covered. The fewer holes in a case the better protected it is, just my opinion though.

Anthony Caruana
08-09-2003, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the review.

I've been looking for a case for a couple of weeks now and decided to order the new leather case put out by Proporta.

It looks similar to the PDA Mill case at Brando but with nicer stitching. Also, I have owned a Proporta metal case in the past and am impressed by the quality of their products

Christian
08-09-2003, 08:49 PM
I've been looking for a case for a couple of weeks now and decided to order the new leather case put out by Proporta.

It looks similar to the PDA Mill case at Brando but with nicer stitching. Also, I have owned a Proporta metal case in the past and am impressed by the quality of their products

I am also considering the Proporta leather case. After looking at the pictures though, it looks like the case has no sides? 8O I would certainly like to hear if the tiny brackets at the bottom actually keep the iPaq in place.

carphead
08-09-2003, 09:08 PM
Wallet Boy,

Thanks for the excellent review. When I looked a the pictures on the website I guessed they were the people who make the slip case that comes with the 22xx.

Thanks.

leif-marcus
08-09-2003, 09:11 PM
Has anyone tried the Belt Case?

It would work so well for me if only it performs better than described above...

Skitals
08-12-2003, 06:06 AM
I got the piel frama case for my 2210 ($43 on ebay) and it arrived today... its AWSOME. All the cutouts are perfect. Fit, quality, leather, etc are all perfect. It has a cutout with mesh grill over the speaker. Also has a cutout on top for cf/sd so you can leave a wifi card or camera in and still open and close the case. I had a piel frama case for my 5455 and loved it... this one is even better! Its just sweet... I cant stop checking it out. Absolutely perfect... and smells like an expensive leather jacket.

The piel frama case also doesnt have a hole for the reset button... but i only use it once a week or so, so I dont see that as a problem.

element
08-23-2003, 01:16 AM
Well, I was about to throw down the $70 for this case since it was the only one that would allow me to combine my wallet and case. But now I have to start searching again!!!! Thanks walletboy. How about more 'high quality pda case' ideas! Anyone?

Chris Spera
08-23-2003, 01:24 AM
I have all of these cases for my iPAQ 3000/5000 series device. I can say without a doubt that the Cases Online cases are good cases. they do have a couple of design issues that I had hoped they would have addressed after the time that I spent working with them on their designs.

Hopefully, they will see this and the reviews that I will soon post and make the changes they need to...

Christopher Spera

Anthony Caruana
08-23-2003, 04:08 AM

I am also considering the Proporta leather case. After looking at the pictures though, it looks like the case has no sides? 8O I would certainly like to hear if the tiny brackets at the bottom actually keep the iPaq in place.

Hi I got my Porporta leather case and it's very nice. The lack of sides doesn't bother me and helps to keep it less bulky.

I like it and think that in terms of bang for buck that it's very good. i don't doubt that the Vaja case is of a higher quality but I can't justify the cost. Even with a discount voucher from being a subscriber it's still quite pricey - mainly because of the high shipping cost.