View Full Version : Dell is so absurd...

takotchi
08-09-2003, 12:45 AM
(if you get offended easily, better turn back now)

I really am getting tired of Dell. I just have to say it.

I ordered my PPC 2003 upgrade CD way back in June, the 24th I believe. So far, I have received one ghetto-looking e-mail delaying it all the way until the middle of September, while people that ordered AFTER me got dates of August 22. NOW, people already have their upgrade CDs, and people that are ordering RIGHT NOW, within a few days ago, already have their CDs shipped! To conclude this section about the CD, I got shafted two ways; I ordered early and had to pay MORE, and they still haven't even shipped it yet, while other people already have it!

Now, I'm not terribly angry about that, because I already, *ahem*, upgraded mine myself. But, Dell finally, after months upon months, placed the Snap-on Keyboard, the thumb keyboard, up for sale on their web site. So I don't have to deal with somebody who can't speak clear English and miss out on the web coupons to buy it. However, it is still for the slightly high price of $50, and now, for some bizarre reason, they are charging a whopping EIGHT dollars for the crappiest shipping option, and furthermore, they are charging me TAX now! (I live in Virginia, by the way, and have never been charged tax on-line before... not even from Dell just a month or so ago)

So mere hours after ordering the keyboard, which was listed as IN stock, I get an e-mail delaying it all the way to the middle of August. It's not like I can go inside a store or something and buy accessories, because Dell won't put their accessories in stores, and they have zero third-party support, other than universal things like CF and SD cards.

I would call and complain about my orders to Dell, but it's lost on their extremely foreign (and extremely rude) staff.

*sigh* I guess you get what you pay for, I'll buy a more expensive HP next time. At least I won't be at the mercy of Dell for accessories. Though, their support and service is probably still as bad as Dell, as far as speaking clear, native English. :roll:

I tried to pick an emoticon to sum Dell up... here it is: :pukeface:

Excalliber
08-10-2003, 03:36 AM
I hate Dell so much. They said that Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 was included in the computer. I get it only to find that it's a trial version. Well, i got the program in the end (anyone want to guess how?), but it still pisses me off.

In addition to this, the CD drive that they put in the computer doesn't have any drivers... Anywhere! When XP deleted it's Optical Drive drivers (???), there was no place on the web that i could find them, and in addition to that, the drivers CD wouldn't work from another computer so i could pull them off into a floppy disk. Ugh, what a pain :pukeface: Eventually, I just wiped the Harddrive clean. Only after Windows was gone did the Computer recognize the Disk Drives. I installed an Indiana University version of XP, and never had any problems again. BTW, the instillation for the OS was warped when it got here. :roll:

I would have been OK with it if there were drivers ANYWHERE for these no-name drives, but there aren't. That's what you get with Dell... (or at least, a chance of that happening :evil: ).

After that, there was no way an Axim would even be considered, no matter the cost or features. I went with an h2210.

jake080
08-10-2003, 04:28 AM
awe, poor things, did you cry?
***Nasty comment deleted.***

oh, by the way, you're welcome for the comment

***Edited by moderator SJC 8/9/03***

takotchi
08-10-2003, 04:34 AM
Hmm... I didn't think we had people on this board that were that immature and unintelligent. I guess I'm wrong. :roll:

Janak Parekh
08-10-2003, 04:50 AM
***Nasty comment deleted.***
Jake080: personal attacks are not tolerated on this board. Please refrain from making any more.

Excalliber: sounds like you did have an unusually bad experience. Regarding Easy CD Creator 5, there's a "Basic" and a "Premium" version. Are you sure you didn't get Basic and you got a trial version instead? The Basic is a full-fledged CD creator software -- it just doesn't have the graphics and audio editing tools that Premium comes with. Also, CD drives never come with drivers anymore, and haven't since Windows 98. A virus is one common source of CD drives not being recognized.

takotchi: I would submit your experiences to Dell's feedback channels. It's obvious their online store is a bit broken.

--janak

takotchi
08-10-2003, 05:03 AM
I did submit a few paragaphs to Dell's on-line comment... thingy. I doubt that is what made the snap-on keyboard appear on their web site, but that was my main complaint.

Not that it matters, since it's still very difficult to find and is listed as shipping in 1-2 days... when mine is not shipping until next week. Before anybody asks, no, I am not counting weekends. :razz:

droppedd
08-10-2003, 06:45 AM
I ordered a digital camera from dell, a Sony DSC-U20 miniature digital camera. After they accidentally cancelled my order, i had it reinstated. Then it was delayed for several weeks, and after I called to check on it they assured me it was expected in stock soon. That friday, I found a package with a digital camera sitting and waiting for me. Great, right?

Except it was the wrong camera. They sent me some big bulky Kodak that doesn't even remotely resemble the DSC-U20.

They were pretty good about the return; they paid for an Airborne Express pickup... but still, something that should never have happened.

isilver
08-10-2003, 12:47 PM
I guess everyone has there complaints about Dell. Even though you bring up interesting complaints I can't help but think how small each complaint is in the scheme of things.

Ordering PPC2003. I prefer to think of the possitive end of this issue. Several other PPC refuse to offer upgrades to there Pocket PC's. Not to mention the one's that charge an arm and a let just to get it.

With everything that has happened with the new Dell OS. First there was a OS problem causing speed issues on the Axim's. When they found this out they tried to nutrilize it as quickly as possible. Then when they released a patch it was hacked within 2 hours.

We all need to remember that PPC are a new world for Dell and they have experienced nothing but problems. I even remember back when there web site was displaying the incorrect price for the Dell Axims'. Offering it at 1/3 of the price. This forced Dell to offer everyone who order a Dell about a $150.00 discount. I'm sure most of which may have been losses.

Dell has only acted admirally when they have found out about every problem with the Dell Axim (except for maybe Sandisc memory cards which was not there fault).

Basically. I salute Dell for the work they have put into there PPC's. I am certainly going to buy the next version that they come out with (X3 or X7 or X9?).

Hyperluminal
08-10-2003, 02:27 PM
Takotchi and Excalliber, I know exactly what you mean. I had a problem with my Dell notebook, where for some reason it would die often when I took it out of suspend or hibernation. I tried everything software-wise, including reinstalling XP twice, reinstalling 98 (which it came with) twice, and it still did it. Even so, they insisted it was a software problem, often saying it was the video driver (I have no idea why). I told them that I reinstalled 98, from the Dell restore disk, meaning at the original factory software condition it was doing that problem. They didn't care. It didn't help that the reps were mostly from India who couldn't understand English, and had thick accents that were hard to understand over the phone.

At one point, they had me send the notebook in (never mind that I have on-site service) to do some diagnostics. I was pleasently surprised when I got it back two days later. However, all they did was flash the BIOS, even though I had the latest version, change some basic power settings, and get this weird black stuff all over my screen. Speaking of power settings, all too often when they heard my problem they simply predeeded in telling me how to disable hibernation and suspend!

I dealt with this problem for about ten months before I finally decided to call Dell and insist they give me a new computer. Most people I spoke with didn't care, and weren't very helpful (like usual), but finally I got someone who give me a system exchange. They were actually very generous, and I got a practically top of the line Inspiron 8200 (before it was discontinued).

Still, because of the fact that it took them nearly a year to resolve that problem, I'll never give Dell more money unless I don't have a choice (ie. no one else is selling what I want). Not getting an Axim was a no-brainer, so like Excalliber, I also got a 2215. BTW, I've actually had very good service with HP. My old iPaq 3835 had some problems, and they were very knowledgable, friendly, and didn't treat me like I was a complete idiot. :)

takotchi
08-10-2003, 08:57 PM
I have other, bigger complaints about Dell, but they weren't Axim-related so I didn't post them, but here is an example...

I bought an Inspiron notebook, with a 3-year warranty. After about a year and a half, I think, they recalled the batteries (remember the South African girl that got her thighs burnt off?) because of fire hazards. So, they sent me TWO new batteries to replace the one I sent in. How nice of them, right?

Not really. About a month after I received my free battery, it simply stopped working... it only lasted about 5 minutes and then would die. So I called up Dell, and asked for a replacement. I got the rudest Indian lady... ever. After only asking once, she screamed at me "NO! YOU BATTERY HAVE-A THIRTY DAY WAH-UN-TEE! YOU NO GET A NEW BATTERUH!" and so on. I eventually just hung up on her.

So, I just tossed that battery. I still had one working, right? Well, no. I got all the parts to build a new desktop computer for my graduation, so I'm using that now, and I give somebody else the notebook from Dell. The other battery no longer works either, the same "only-lasts-5-minutes" deal. I call up again, and get yet another rude Indian-sounding person that says "NO! The batteruh only have-a the 90-day wah-uhn-tay". Of course, I have a 3-year warranty, which you would think would at least include the FIRST battery that comes with the computer, as it is essential to the function of the computer. Nope. I argued back and forth, but it seems they will not include the battery in the 3-year warranty you buy with the computer. So, you are pretty much screwed. Even though this notebook is outdated by several years, the price of the battery has not moved from $99. I refuse to pay that, since I still have my warranty until October. But for now... I give up.

Excalliber
08-10-2003, 10:52 PM
-Snip-
Excalliber: sounds like you did have an unusually bad experience. Regarding Easy CD Creator 5, there's a "Basic" and a "Premium" version. Are you sure you didn't get Basic and you got a trial version instead? The Basic is a full-fledged CD creator software -- it just doesn't have the graphics and audio editing tools that Premium comes with. Also, CD drives never come with drivers anymore, and haven't since Windows 98. A virus is one common source of CD drives not being recognized.
-Snip-
--janak

All Dell said was Roxio Easy CD Creater 5 would be included. I thought it was just a lesser version for a while before it expired, asking me to buy it. :? When I tryed to continue using it after that, it kept coming up with a message saying to buy the full version, and it wouldn't let me do anything.

About the CD Drive, I thought that someone would have a copy of the drivers for generic optical drive installation somewhere on the web. I guess I was wrong. I should lay the blame elsewhere as well, however, and not just on Dell. If it was a virus, Norton is completely worthless, even when up to date. I also installed Zone Alarm Pro before putting it on my network, so I doubt it could have been a virus, or anything like that. Microsoft should put the files for the drivers that XP includes up somewhere for download, even if they are just to have the drive work as a generic x1 drive.

Still, having to start from scratch with a computer that was not even past 30 days old was an unforgivable thing for Dell in my books.

Janak Parekh
08-11-2003, 12:11 AM
All Dell said was Roxio Easy CD Creater 5 would be included. I thought it was just a lesser version for a while before it expired, asking me to buy it. :? When I tryed to continue using it after that, it kept coming up with a message saying to buy the full version, and it wouldn't let me do anything.
Argh. That sucks. :evil:

I should lay the blame elsewhere as well, however, and not just on Dell.
I'm not saying I have the answer, mind you :lol: Just curious, as it's a fairly unique problem. I'm sorry to hear about your problems, and
takotchi's. Part of the problem is the fact that the industry is slashing costs. I hope it wakes up soon and realizes how important support is. Problem is, with cheaper and cheaper computers it becomes increasingly difficult to bankroll such support.

Here's an interesting question: if you got a better level of support if you bought an "extended warranty", would you go for it?

--janak

nullvector
08-11-2003, 06:49 PM
So far I've been pretty happy with Dell's service. Of course, I try to call them as little as possible, doing all ordering on the web.

Only bad experience with Dell so far was last week when I was driving on a highway, my cell phone rings, and guess who? Some indian lady from Dell wanting me to take a 'phone survey"

*Ring*

me: Hello?

Dell: *uncomprehensible english*

me: uhhhh....excuse me?

Dell: *more confusing english*, "take our survey"

me: No thank you, im driving at 70mph in the rain, using daytime phone minutes, and Id rather not talk right now, and pay attention to driving.

Dell: blah blah....only 2 minutes?

me: No, I need to pay attention to the road.

Dell: But but......please?

me: no

Dell: why not?

me: The only reason I called tech support last week was to get a tracking number.

Dell: Was your service good?

me: NO I DO NOT WANT TO TAKE A SURVEY. BYE!

Excalliber
08-11-2003, 07:45 PM
What, did you call them from your cell phone, or was it completely by chance? 8O I didn't know that you could get telemarketing (or anything akin to it) on a cell phone... Isn't there some ban on that, or am I delusional?

About the extended warranty... What kind of a company would that be? I should get the same level of tech support for the already stupidly short time warranties last. Don't even give them the idea...

Kati Compton
08-11-2003, 07:48 PM
What, did you call them from your cell phone, or was it completely by chance? 8O I didn't know that you could get telemarketing (or anything akin to it) on a cell phone... Isn't there some ban on that, or am I delusional?
Perhaps the cell phone number is the one they had on file from him/her?

Scary conversation. I'd call Dell Tech Support and complain that they were trying to endanger you. :D

Pat Logsdon
08-11-2003, 08:01 PM
I don't THINK there is. I'm fairly certain that telemarketers can't call cell numbers, but if you call someone from your cell, I think you're fair game. Bank of American ( :evil: ) does it to me all the time...overdraft protection, Home Equity loans, surveys, you name it, they get their customer support people to shill it. :roll:

ux4484
08-11-2003, 08:26 PM
If you give your cell number as a contact number for a credit card purchase (why this is still sometimes asked is just so they can sell the list, rather than verify anything, as I always give my # from when I was a kid and it never stops me from buying anything) you MAY get telemarketing calls on your cell. Many cell providers provide telemarketing protection at their switch (which is why most folks don't get cell telemarketing calls) as they don't want junk tying up their networks, but I don't believe they're actually prohibited by law from doing so.

nullvector
08-13-2003, 02:34 PM
The reason they had my cell number, was that it is the number on file with my account at Dell, since I'm at work all day, and dont use my home phone alot anyway.. I dont mind them calling my cell to answer my questions, or respond to any problems I might have.

It just struck me funny that the lady on the phone asked me if I wanted to take a survey, but wouldnt take no for an answer even after I told her what I was doing at the moment! 8O

SlimDady
08-15-2003, 02:43 AM
and dell wonders why people take the free route to upgrading their device..

Really.. they bring it on themselves

William57
08-15-2003, 09:49 AM
Dell executives say to us the common rif-raff consumer: "Ah so you see, you have been rap3d again!"

***Post edited by moderator SJC 8/15/03 08:56 EDT

PetiteFlower
08-18-2003, 03:20 AM
Sounds to me like the biggest source of Dell's problems here is the fact that they have an extremely poorly trained support staff consisting nearly entirely of non-native english speakers. Hey Dell, listen up--your company's reputation is going down the toilet because your support stinks, even though you are making the best PCs for the best price currently on the market! Fix that fast or no one is going to care about your great products and great prices if they have a hassle from rude and unintelligible support staff every time there's a minor problem!

For the record I've never had a MAJOR hassle with Dell's support, I always get what I wanted in the end, but going through the phone call takes way too long and is extremely annoying.

maximus
08-19-2003, 03:11 AM
For the record I've never had a MAJOR hassle with Dell's support, I always get what I wanted in the end, but going through the phone call takes way too long and is extremely annoying.

I never have to call their customer service either. The axim I have works without problem. When windows mobile 2003 is out, they send me CD (I dont even ask for it). When the second version of WM2003 is out, they send it again. Maybe I am just lucky. Or maybe my contact sales person is working beyond her call of duty.