View Full Version : Sync Between Computers?

dean_shan
08-08-2003, 08:59 PM
I have a desktop and a laptop that I plug off and on to my home network. Is there a way to have the two computers sync what is in certian folders much as the way PPC & PC do?

Jason Dunn
08-08-2003, 09:08 PM
Sure, you just need a folder sync program or backup software where you back up "A" to "B", etc. Google it, you'll find many of them - I don't have a personal favourite though. I've personally had nothing but trouble when it comes to trying to keep two data sources in sync, especially when there's more than one user involved. ;-) With one user, it might be do-able.

davidspalding
08-09-2003, 04:24 AM
Well Windows has this yucky thing called My Briefcase (you can have several, as many as you desire), for which performance slows down further and further anything bigger than 1.44 MB (coincidence? I don't think so). Amazingly, it's still in XP. Does anyone use this?

I used several briefcase folders to sync (manually, of course) files on my notebook to my desktop. It was a pain. Finally, I just used networked shares.

Laplink and other apps of that ilk in the late 90s did the sync thing, and Microsoft's Win95 Briefcase didn't even scare them.

dean_shan
08-09-2003, 04:28 AM
Yeah I'm looking for a solution that doesn't involve Briefcase. I will have both computers on a network when I want to sync.

jkendrick
08-09-2003, 04:45 PM
I use a freeware folder sync app called Karen's Replicator to sync folders between my laptop and ipod and between my laptop and desktop. It's lightning fast and no frills but even includes a scheduler which you can use or not (I don't).

It's actually a replicator which means it only goes one way but you can easily create a session to go each way and since it's fast only takes a few seconds.

Excellent app!

Jason Dunn
08-09-2003, 08:43 PM
It's funny though, isn't it, that as much as we bash ActiveSync, nothing like it exists on the desktop PC world? Like if you had two copies of Outlook, one on your desktop and one on your laptop, what you really want is to keep them in sync, right? Yet nothing out there is capable of doing that AFAIK...

Paul
08-10-2003, 04:58 AM
Like if you had two copies of Outlook, one on your desktop and one on your laptop, what you really want is to keep them in sync, right? Yet nothing out there is capable of doing that AFAIK...

Argg!!! :evil: This is exactly what I was looking for a few months ago but gave up after not finding anything worthwhile. It bugged the heck out of me. Why can't Microsoft allow you to sync with laptops in Activesync? On many occasions I've had to spend time late at night making sure the information for my desktop, laptop and iPaq are all synced up properly with the most current version of files and such. What a hassle.

I'll try looking up Karen's Replicator.