View Full Version : Help! Wi-fi CF Card for Casio E-125?

pianogames
08-08-2003, 06:32 AM
I would like to purchase a Wi-fi card for my Casio E-125. I have recently been looking into various Casio Pocket PC forums on various web sites. I have found that many Casio Pocket PC users use a D-Link compact flash card to connect to the internet. (Apparently Linksys does not work well with Casios.)
Well, I looked on sites like, buy.com and the D-link site and found their "DCF-660W D-LinkAir CompactFlash card," a wireless 2.4 GHz (802.11b) CompactFlash adapter. It had "wireless LAN card" in the description. (I also saw this product in CompUSA, and it appeared to be the only product that didn't use Bluetooth technology.) However, when I looked on the official Wi-fi Allegiance website (http://www.wi-fi.org/OpenSection/), the product was not listed as a "Wi-fi Certified Product." I did, however, find a Wi-fi CompactFlash Card made by Sandisk. Though I didn't see it for sale on any site besides Sandisk's official website. I also saw that the Z-Com Compact Flash Card XI-825 was Wi-fi certified, and I remember seeing that as one of the earlier companies to provide Wi-fi services when I first purchased my Pocket PC. I didn't see that on any site besides Z-Com's official site (http://www.zcom.com.tw/product/product12.htm).
Do you think I should go ahead and buy the one from Sandisk, X-Com, or the D-link from CompUSA? (BTW, at CompUSA, the D-Link is about $20 cheaper.) Or is there another product that I'm completely oblivious to? Your help is greatly appreciated.

BTW, how is Wi-fi different from wireless LAN or ethernet?

Anthony Caruana
08-08-2003, 07:04 AM
I pretty sure I'm right in saying that what you are really looking for is 802.11b compliance (WiFi is a nicer moniker for this standard)

The DLink card you refer to is 802.11b compliant. The words wirelss lan, WiFi, etc have sort of become interchangeable lately. You should be able to use it to connect to WiFi hotspots

Hope this helps

Jason Dunn
08-08-2003, 07:14 AM
The biggest problem you'll have may be the drivers - make sure that whatever you buy has Pocket PC 2000 MIPS drivers.

pianogames
08-09-2003, 02:09 AM
Thanks guys! That really helped! :D I think I'll go pick up the D-Link tomorrow and see if it works. I remember seeing that it had been tested on the Cassiopeia, so there shouldn't be a problem with the drivers. I'll try it out and see, and try to post how everything went within the next week.

schoon
08-14-2003, 11:31 PM
I have configured it to work with my wireless network and am surfing awaay wirelessly with my Casio E-125 so all that is dandy! However, I cannot get Active Sync to work through the wireless network which is really a drag. I have perused countless boards and search engines and have found nothing to help me set it up. iF anyone here has done it i'm very eager to get it working and would greatly appreciate a reply!

butch
08-17-2003, 04:01 PM
I hope the D-Link works for you.
I've used a Linksys WCF11 with my E115 for more than a year without any problem.
Las week I just got a brand new iPAQ 2210 for free :lol: (i'm glad I bought the extended warranty with my e115 3 years ago! :mrgreen: ) and linksys still haven't made a ppc2003 compatible driver...

pianogames
08-22-2003, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the input! I ended up buying the DLink 660W on Mon. from CompUSA. It worked great! Though, it doesn't do so well when the link quality level and signal level isn't stable. I went to a local coffee shop what provides free wi-fi, but I couldn't surf the internet very well because the signal would never stay stable. :? I haven't bought a wireless connection for my PC yet, but I think I'll hold off until I buy a laptop. Until then, I'll just use my DLink to surf the internet on WLAN systems when I'm away from home. Thanks for your support everyone!

klinux
08-28-2003, 08:14 AM
would anybody know if this Sandisk card works on E-125?

http://www.sandisk.com/img/products/LAN-Card_straight.jpg
http://www.sandisk.com/consumer/connectplus_wifi.asp

butch
08-28-2003, 02:15 PM
would anybody know if this Sandisk card works on E-125?
From Sandisk Website:
OS support for:
•Laptops - ME, 2000, XP
•PDA - Pocket PC 2002

I don't think there is a driver for PPC2000 and/or MIPS CPU, but you can try to download the drivers to see if they install on your E125.

klinux
08-28-2003, 11:58 PM
Right, I too noted the requirement on the site but was hoping maybe someone here would know a more definitive answer. Thanks anyway.

powder2000
10-17-2003, 12:55 AM
I use the socket wifi on mine without any hitches. Works great with good range.