View Full Version : PDA Corps Reviews Piel Frama 2200 Case

Crystal Eitle
08-08-2003, 03:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pdacorps.com/default.asp?key=pages/pielframaipaq2210.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.pdacorps.com/default.asp...amaipaq2210.htm</a><br /><br /></div>The hard-working folks at PDACorps have done it again, this time with a review of the Piel Frama case for the iPaq 2200 series. This detailed review should be able to tell you anything you want to know about the Piel Frama case for the 2200.<br /><br />"Since the day I got my 2210 and marvelled at the quality of the case that HP kindly provided (what do you mean sarcasm?!) I've been longing for a better alternative to be available. It's only now that I've come to review this case that I've stopped to consider what the task of designing a case for the 2210 must be like. One of the 2210's big virtues is it's size. It's small. There is only a small amount of space above the screen and it's occupied by the power button and notification LED's. The bottom is equally sparse of available space. This is all great for us, and helps to keep the size of the 2210 to a minimum, but it must be a real headache to the case designer who has to make sure our devices are suitably protected and secured, without loss of practicality. Piel Frama is the first company (to my knowledge) to take on this task."

Christian
08-08-2003, 05:06 AM
I'm curious how people view this case in comparison to the Vaja? I like that this case has a magnetic closure (something that the Vaja isn't available with as far as I can tell) and it also looks like this case might be a bit smaller. Any thoughts?

ctmagnus
08-08-2003, 05:56 AM
I'm curious how people view this case in comparison to the Vaja? I like that this case has a magnetic closure (something that the Vaja isn't available with as far as I can tell) and it also looks like this case might be a bit smaller. Any thoughts?

After having owned a Piel Frama case, no case without a magnetic closure is a good case as far as I'm concerned. I can't comment sizewise though as I've never even seen a 2210 in real life. ;)

Also slightly more awkward is pressing the power button. It's a very minor thing, but it is very close to the strip of leather at the top of the screen.

This is true. I sometimes have trouble turning on my 5550 in the dark because of the location of the strip of leather.

doc
08-08-2003, 06:15 AM
I switched from the 5450 to a 2210 and I have to say I really love this new 2210. One thing I miss though is the embedded WiFi. :( Before my 5450 I had a Zaurus 5500.

Now unto the matter of cases. Sharp made a really nice zipped leather case, yeah it was kinda big, that allowed me to have the case closed and still have my WiFi card inserted. Everything I've seen designed for the 2210 is a flip type case that won't allow you to have the WiFi card inserted. Has anyone seen a case designed for the 2210 that'll allow the card to remain inserted?

jgahr
08-08-2003, 12:39 PM
doc:

CasesOnLine, but they are kind of pricey for the quality. :mrgreen:

jgrnt1
08-08-2003, 02:58 PM
EB Cases (http://www.ebcases.com/StoreFront.bok) also has a slipper case for the 2200 in stock.

I've been wondering whether I needed a case which would let me keep my WiFi card in. I just got rid of a Toshiba Genio e550g with a Vaja case (no cut-out at the top) and got a 2215. When I had the Toshiba, there were a couple times I wished I could have kept the WiFi card in, but they were few. I usually keep memory cards in both slots.

Do cases with cut-outs, like the Piel Frama, allow you to open and close the case over the stub of a WiFi card? If not, what advantage would there be to the cut-out?

maikii
08-08-2003, 06:03 PM
Covertec and Belkin say they will have 2210 cases out this month. Less expensive than the Pielframa (I think Covertec $39.95, Belkin $29.95.) The Belkin should be available in computer and office supply stores locally. Of course, I don't know how the three compare.

What looks like one advantage for Covertec is their clip design. When you take the clip off, somehow it's possible to flatten the clip holder in back, so you don't have that protrusion sticking out to hang the clip on. That should make it easier (thinner) to carry in one's pocket when not using the clip.

Has anyone tried one of Covertec's designs with their new clip design?

beq
08-09-2003, 09:54 PM
I'm so pissed, I got my PPCT Vaja 2210 case yesterday, but I needed the iPAQ for heavy-duty use today and didn't want to be encumbered w/ the leather case (so I left it at home). So today of all days my 2210 fell 3ft onto the cold, hard tile floor. The SD card flew out on impact. But I was in the middle of a session and didn't even get a chance to worry about it or soft-reset it -- continued using the apps I needed and everything worked OK. Just now thinking back I'm pretty amazed there were no problems (but I haven't visually inspected the 2210's casing yet -- kinda afraid to).

P.S. The day I ordered the Vaja case, I'd mistakenly put a metal pen in the same Mobile Pants pocket as the 2210, and the pen had gouged a big scratch in the iPAQ's D-pad bezel :( It's like the universe is telling me how much I need a case...

doc
08-10-2003, 06:44 AM
P.S. The day I ordered the Vaja case, I'd mistakenly put a metal pen in the same Mobile Pants pocket as the 2210, and the pen had gouged a big scratch in the iPAQ's D-pad bezel It's like the universe is telling me how much I need a case...

Ok, now I'm totally worried. I've been carrying my 2210 around in my normal key's pocket because I haven't bought a case yet. I've caught myself more then a few times just about to drop my keys in that pocket 8O

I just haven't seen a case I like for the 2210 yet. :(

ctmagnus
08-10-2003, 07:08 AM
Ok, now I'm totally worried. I've been carrying my 2210 around in my normal key's pocket because I haven't bought a case yet. I've caught myself more then a few times just about to drop my keys in that pocket 8O

Might I suggest something like this (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000085HYN/qid=1059688258/sr=1-5/ref=sr_1_5_/104-7153105-8307124?v=glance&s=merchant&n=3028151&m=A37C5GNWBK4E8Z)?

doc
08-10-2003, 07:25 AM
Not a bad idea. I think I may have too many keys and two key fobs to put in something like this.

I'm sure someone soon will come out with a 2210 case that will let me keep the WiFi card inserted.

beq
08-10-2003, 07:20 PM
Me too (w/ the key fobs -- alarm fob, SanDisk Cruzer, etc). Anyways, not sure I can get used to taking out/strapping in my keys into this wallet everytime, feels kinda hoity-toity :mrgreen:

P.S. Half the time I leave my Socket WiFi CF card in my 2210 when I drop it in the Mobile Pants pocket...