View Full Version : Installation Locations

wallisj
08-07-2003, 04:05 PM
Hi all

I'm new to the PPC realm and was wondering if it makes a difference where i install applications. On install, most utilities ask to install into the default localtion or not....i tend to choose the Flash card. Is this normal?

I have noticed through trial and error with 1 or 2 apps (mostly which start up with the ipaq) that they don't seem to work correctly as if the SD card gets initialised post boot....but for the majority of programs and games i have installed onto the SD Card.

Thanks
Jamie

PS. i do love the iPAQ2210 i have though....i sold my SonyEricsson P800 smartphone to buy it.

Pat Logsdon
08-07-2003, 04:42 PM
In my experience, most programs are fine if they're installed to a CF or SD card. It's really up to the developer, however. As you mentioned, some don't work, because the developer requires that they be installed into Main Memory.

Personally, I install to my SD card as much as I can, because it leaves more "Program Memory" available for apps that need as much as they can get (like GPS navigation programs).

hollis_f
08-07-2003, 09:02 PM
Anything that runs at a system level (Today plugins, HackMaster, etc) and anything that gets used regularly (Pocket Informant and TomTom amongst others) get installed to Main Memory - where access is fastest.

Infrequently used apps get installed to the SD card that lives permanently in my 3970.

Big data files (GPS maps, MP3s and videos) go on the 1GB CF card.