View Full Version : iPaq 2210 problems...

aexidic
08-07-2003, 03:23 AM
Well, I've had my 2210 for less than a day and allready it's giving me trouble.

In the middle of a Jawbreaker game, it hanged on me. Everything including the power button stopped working... and I was left looking at my high score that would be lost forever... Had to hit the reset button...

I fire up Media Player, start toying around with playlists and try playing the Media Player videoclip in window'd and full-screen mode. All of a sudden the play button stops working... I close Media Player and start it again, now nothing works... I close it but now it won't even open anymore. No matter what I try or how long I wait, Media Player will not open anymore. Reset button again...

I try opening Pocket Word. It starts opening then crashes... on the first attempt. Then it nevers opens again, no matter what I do. Reset button again.

I launch BlueTooth Manager. Bluetooth goes from OFF to ON, but nothing opens. I try again, now nothing on the menu works, I can't even turn it OFF. Then everything starts gonig realy slow, and the menu won't even open. AFter 10 minutes I get fed up and... Reset button again.

If I can't get the pre-installed options to work properly, I'm scared to think what will happen when I add CF/SD cards or install my own collection of programs....

Any idea why this is happening... and how to fix it? :|

cab124
08-07-2003, 04:49 AM
I haven't had any of these problems. Have you installed any of your own software at all, or is this how it behaves right out of the box?

aexidic
08-07-2003, 12:10 PM
right out of the box...

rzanology
08-07-2003, 03:43 PM
i'll tell you what man. I'ev been having some pretty bad issues with mine...turns out they are all bluetooth related. Once that radio is off....the ipaq runs flawless...when it turns on...all hell breaks lose!

aexidic
08-07-2003, 08:00 PM
Well, thing is, most of the time I have bluetooth OFF, and this still happens (though when bluetooth is ON it's worse I guess, didn't pay attention to it too much...)

There has to be another flaw in here besides bluetooth (so much for an integrated technology... piece of junk...)

I'm trying a hard reboot, see if it helps...

Dammit, wondering now if it's better to exchange this for a Dell Axim 400Mhz instead... Havn't heard of many problems from the Axim.

or maybe an iPaq 5555 (holy cripes it's expensive!) since I could use built in WiFi (don't know if I'd pay that much moeny though...) But then again the 5555 uses same OS, same bluetooth, same lots of things... probably same problems will come with it :(

cab124
08-07-2003, 08:42 PM
Even with BT on, I don't have any of the problems that you described. There have been a few times when I have had to do a soft reset do to quirky behavior, but nothing at all like what you described.

I have had some issues (which I have listed in other threads), but many of them were related to some of the software that I had loaded rather than the 2215 itself.

I wonder if you could reproduce some of the problems you have seen using a demo unit over at Best Buy of CompUSA?

rzanology
08-07-2003, 09:43 PM
Dammit, wondering now if it's better to exchange this for a Dell Axim 400Mhz instead... Havn't heard of many problems from the Axim.

you just hurt us all on this forum. I may curse at my 2215...it maybe half way through the window at time....but never...NEVER!!!! will i swap an ipaq for a dell. HOW DARE YOU!!!!!!!!!! just kidding...i think you should stick it out. I have faith in compaq....i'll be expecting some kind of rom update soon.

darrylb
08-07-2003, 11:09 PM
Any idea why this is happening... and how to fix it? :|

Sounds to me like a faulty unit. I have had no problems with mine. These problems sound reminicent of memory type problems on PC's.

I'd call HP and get a swap.

jake080
08-08-2003, 01:22 AM
ill agree in saying, stick it out, i personally like the Axim more, but hey, they are all ppcs! so my suggestion is, if its still giving you problem in a couple months, then get one of the new axims, theres like no point in getting the x5a now, i actually bought one, i even had it within a couple inches of me, then decided to wait, shipped it back and am going to get new one soon! yay, but my friend with a 2210 hasnt had too many problems with his, though he gets real frustrated at it when it does hack up problems. anayway he is thinking about getting the new axim then, but keep 2210 till then.
~Jake

aexidic
08-08-2003, 04:48 AM
UPDATE:

Well I posted this question in the HP forums... maybe they can shed some light... either way... here's more:

---------------
I was told that maybe a hard-reset might solve these problems. I took the main battery out in the morning, when I came back from work I popped it back in and hooked up the AC adapter. Everything was reset to manafac. default settings and the battery started charging. I let it sit for a few hours then began setting things up. Unfortunately, the backup battery was still at 0%. (kept giving me warning every time I soft-reseted it) It took 2 more hard-resets before the backup battery finaly started filling up, and stopped at 50%. I still can't get it to fill past 50% no matter how many hours the AC adapter is plugged in. The amber light is solid (main battery is full) but does this light also monitor 'charging status' for the backup battery?

Fortunately, all my other problems havn't happened for the past 2 days, no crashing or hanging. Unfortunately, I think I spoke too soon because just moments ago I checked the Power settings (to see if the battery charge changed at all) and the iPaq frooze. Nothing would work, I was forced to hit the reset button again.
---------------

Well, whoop-dee-doo, looks like things keep getting more interesting... :evil:

the 2210's seem to be having lots of problems, from the 12 pages of topics I read over at the HP boards... I can allways exchange this unit for a new one, but I have a very good chance of getting a new unit with other problems... or maybe even these again... It's realy scary how many people complain that they're on their 2nd or 3rd unit and the problems get worse (new problems or new problems added to the old) Obviously there are also those who say they got 100% bug-free models, but only time will tell...

As much as it hurts me inside, I may have to return this precious gem and wait a few months till they resolve all their problems... Rumor has it that the ROM may be bad in some units, or that there are some 'hardware issues' is some units... And no, these are not just PPC 2003 incompatibilities... that's a whole other story

I doubt anyone here can help me anymore... Just thought I'd let everyone know that this is turning from bad to worse.

Oh, my computer just crashed after I clicked Connection Settings in the ActiveSync's File menu too.. followed shortly by a system freeze on the iPaq... wow am I realy this unlucky? damn...

{edit}

well after throwing my iPaq into a drawer (in frustration) an hour or two ago... it seems the backup battery has made another 50% jump to 100%... So unless this PDA only has 0% , 50%, and 100% settings, I still consider this a problem. The unit was off and unpluged in the drawer btw.... Seems to have helped more than with the AC plugged in for some 6 hours...

Smergo
08-08-2003, 10:52 AM
I know it wont help you but I havent had a single problem with my 2210, not with bluetooth (connected to an bluetooth accesspoint to surf the internet) or anything else, I havent even made a single softreset yet. Ok, got it only three weeks ago but anyway.