View Full Version : Goodbye MS Reader!!

dh
08-06-2003, 10:09 PM
The more I've been reading ebooks, the more I've gotten fed up with MS Reader.

The final straw was when I bought the first volume of Churchill's History of the Second World War. This is quite a large file and has been taking six minutes to open and find my page.

I finally decided that Reader had to go.

Consequently, following some tips posted by people here, especially David Spalding and nosmohtac, I have solved the problem.

I'm now reading my ebooks using ubook reader. It's a lot better than MS Reader and my books load in a fraction of the time.

To be able to read my books this way I have to make a couple of changes to the files. Firstly use Convert Lit to explode the .lit file into it's basic html files then MobiPocket Publisher to recompile the files into PRC format.

All the software is free and the whole thing takes less than five minutes per book.

Before any stray DRM supporters get upset, I should note that all the ebooks I have are indeed my own and all this is simply to allow me to escape from the pains of MS Reader. These books will never be read anywhere than on my PPC.

I would say it's well worth the effort, even having to remember what the heck a DOS prompt is, to use Convert Lit, is rather entertaining.

nosmohtac
08-06-2003, 11:16 PM
I tried downloading convert lit, and couldn't get it to work. What's the trick?

jgahr
08-07-2003, 12:18 AM
Ditto for me, the command prompt in my XP isn't recognizing the clit command. Any help? For an Abbotts?

Thanks

dh
08-07-2003, 12:44 AM
Well, let's see if I can remember.
First, make sure that your file to convert and the clit14 file are in the same directory, say c:\clit14. You can just copy your .lit file into the directory.

Also at this time I make a new directory to put the converted files in.

When you then go to command prompt, you get the good old c: prompt.

Use the cd command to get into the directory where your files are eg cd clit14.

Once you are in that diectory you can just type clit "the name of your book file".lit "directory name" (no quote marks needed).

If the gods are with you, the book will be broken into it's basic parts and all the files will be in the directory you specified.

If you have any problems, do a search on Convert Lit on Brighthand, there are some good threads there.

Seems a lot of messing around but it's worth it.

Good Luck

Oh, when I was first trying, I was getting the error that clit was not a valid command. The reason for this was that I had two clit14 directories, one inside the other. Not sure if I did that or unzipping the files did. In any case, I had to do down one more level to be in the correct directory. Took me a while to figure that one out. Never did like DOS.

jgahr
08-07-2003, 01:28 AM
I was able to follow your instructions, but the book that I wanted to convert was one of the new ones and it wasn't recognized for some reason. You are right, I left DOS behind a long time ago and I'm starting to remember (age you know) why. The Command Line was understood this time at least. :oops:

Thanks

dh
08-07-2003, 01:32 AM
It should work OK, I've converted one of the new ones. Another thing I had to remember the hard way and forgot to mention is the file name. I had to rename the file to be shorter with no spaces in it.

IE - hhg.lit = good. Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.lit = bad. If it's not all one word DOS stops looking for the rest of the name and gives an error. (or something like that)

You can always rename the book again when you have finished.

ironguy
08-07-2003, 01:35 AM
Just a quickie...

Why did you convert the native html to prc? uBook should be able to handle the html directly.

dh
08-07-2003, 01:41 AM
Some books are exploded into just one HTML file which is fine.

Others, one being that Bill Bryson one, are exploded into a seperate HTML file for each chapter. I had about 20 of the bloody things. You can read them in ubook, but have to open them one by one.

I was struggling with this, then found a post from David Spalding (cheers David :beer: ) about the pubisher program that compiles them all together into a single PRC book. This process also compresses the file so it takes up a fair bit less space than the HTML files. My books came out about the same filesize as the original .lit files.

Trust me, when you look at all those HTML files you just produced, you'll agree it's a better solution.

Just another thought, you can also use the same program to covert the book back to an unprotected .lit file, if you prefer to continue using MS Reader.

jgahr
08-07-2003, 01:48 AM
Ok David, now a big D'oH for me. Gee, how many years did I get trashed by instructors for spaces. Thanks, that will do the trick for me.

When I go through EWR, I'll wave

:mrgreen:

dh
08-07-2003, 01:52 AM
Ok David, now a big D'oH for me. Gee, how many years did I get trashed by instructors for spaces. Thanks, that will do the trick for me.
When I go through EWR, I'll wave :mrgreen:

You're welcome, I've had tons of help from here so it's about time I made a contribution.

I almost gave up before I remembered about the stupid spaces.

You need to wave in PHL though, I'm in South Jersey.

jgahr
08-07-2003, 02:00 AM
That's cool, I typically have to visit the old home office in Bensalem, PA every once in a while.
:lol:

jgahr
08-07-2003, 02:15 AM
By the by, it did work

davidspalding
08-07-2003, 03:56 AM
wow. another convert. i feel like i've really achieved something. :oops:

It should work OK, I've converted one of the new ones. Another thing I had to remember the hard way and forgot to mention is the file name. I had to rename the file to be shorter with no spaces in it.

IE - hhg.lit = good. Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.lit = bad. If it's not all one word DOS stops looking for the rest of the name and gives an error. (or something like that)

You can always rename the book again when you have finished.

Just put the filenames in quotes.

clit.exe "my doggie has fleas.lit" "my cat farts a lot.lit"

David "You'd Be Surprised How Many Times a Day I use a Command Line" Spalding

dh
08-07-2003, 04:12 AM
Just put the filenames in quotes.

David "You'd Be Surprised How Many Times a Day I use a Command Line" Spalding
I wish I had known that earlier. The filename thing had me stuck for a while.

Convert Lit could certainly use some documentation, or (even better) a Windows interface.

It is kind of fun trying to work through everything.

jgahr
08-07-2003, 04:38 AM
Its working great and thanks both of you. I was able to do it, without the quotes though? Wonder what I did right, wrong? Now all I have to is find my original Reader shortcut so I can kill the new deal, since I do have non-DRM Lit books I don't have time to convert right now. Anyone know where the original is so I can shortcut, without bringing it back with a hard reset?
:roll:

Jerry Raia
08-07-2003, 05:40 AM
All this chatter about readers made me go take look at the palm reader. I tried it, really liked it and bought the Pro Version. Makes MS reader look a a bit primative by comparison I thought.

PetiteFlower
08-07-2003, 07:18 AM

I'm sorry :)

*ducks*

dh
08-07-2003, 01:01 PM
I'm sorry :)
*ducks*
The only good thing is that we at least have a river to keep us from Philly. :D

All this chatter about readers made me go take look at the palm reader. I tried it, really liked it and bought the Pro Version. Makes MS reader look a a bit primative by comparison I thought.
What you need to do now is find a free publisher app that will compile the HTML files from Convert Lit into the Palm Reader format. Then you can read the free MS books in Palm Reader.
I wondered if Palm Reader would work with the .prc files produced by Mobipocket Publisher so I downloaded it to try. It will open the file, but the formating is not too good. There must be a better solution.

MLO
08-07-2003, 02:45 PM
Well, let's see if I can remember.
First, make sure that your file to convert and the clit14 file are in the same directory, say c:\clit14. You can just copy your .lit file into the directory.

Also at this time I make a new directory to put the converted files in.

When you then go to command prompt, you get the good old c: prompt.

Use the cd command to get into the directory where your files are eg cd clit14.

Once you are in that diectory you can just type clit "the name of your book file".lit "directory name" (no quote marks needed).

If the gods are with you, the book will be broken into it's basic parts and all the files will be in the directory you specified.

If you have any problems, do a search on Convert Lit on Brighthand, there are some good threads there.

Seems a lot of messing around but it's worth it.

Good Luck

Oh, when I was first trying, I was getting the error that clit was not a valid command. The reason for this was that I had two clit14 directories, one inside the other. Not sure if I did that or unzipping the files did. In any case, I had to do down one more level to be in the correct directory. Took me a while to figure that one out. Never did like DOS.

Or you could put the directory in your path statement.

MLO

Stephen Beesley
08-07-2003, 03:09 PM
I still use MS Reader as my main ebook reader (I have sooooo many books in the .lit format) and find it pretty good as long as there are not too many images.

On the other hand uBook really is a great piece of software. What I particularly like is its ability to handle mulitple formats. It is great to be able to save a large report or paper I need as .rtf file and then read it through uBook. Much easier than trying to read it in pocket word or Textmaker.

Goldtee

dh
08-07-2003, 03:19 PM
I can relate to what you say Goldtee. I have loads of classic novels in .lit format that are just fine to read on MS Reader. There's not much to be gained by converting them, especially since there are no DRM issues. It's books with lots of graphics and maps that could use something better.

As well as ubook, I'm also trying out the trial of Mobipocket Pro. My first impressions are that this is going to be one I keep, it's a more refined application than ubook on the whole. Of course you have to pay for it, so it bloody well should be.

CoreyJF
08-07-2003, 04:26 PM
Maybe I am just lucky (knock on wood.) but I haven't had any problems with ms reader. I used to have some problems on my ipaq 3600 series. but it runs pretty well on my 5455. Are these hardware issues or maybe a software conflict? Or is it pretty systemic across pocketpc lines, and I have just been lucky?

Jerry Raia
08-07-2003, 04:34 PM
Fortunately I hardly have any MS ebooks so it was easy to abandon it.

nosmohtac
08-07-2003, 09:59 PM
Maybe I am just lucky (knock on wood.) but I haven't had any problems with ms reader. I used to have some problems on my ipaq 3600 series. but it runs pretty well on my 5455. Are these hardware issues or maybe a software conflict? Or is it pretty systemic across pocketpc lines, and I have just been lucky?

I don't think it's a hardware issue.
If your very happy with it on your 5455, then I'm inclined to assume that you haven't been reading any larger files with a lot of pictures or graphing, (MS Reader is the slowest at paginating) or you have't tried any of the great reader programs that are available.(MS reader has memory leak)

I too used to think that ms reader was awesome, (I still use it from time to time) but after trying the other available readers you see just how slow and flawed that this reader is.

CoreyJF
08-08-2003, 05:37 AM
Well, I guess I have just been lucky then. I have tried a couple of programs and have not found them to be any better and in the case of acrobat reader, I have been less impressed. But I will say most of the books I have in my library are not graphic intensive.

dh
08-08-2003, 12:45 PM
Well, I guess I have just been lucky then. I have tried a couple of programs and have not found them to be any better and in the case of acrobat reader, I have been less impressed. But I will say most of the books I have in my library are not graphic intensive.

What you say is absolutly correct. I have no problems with reading novels, which of course are generally all text, with MS Reader. It's books with many maps and pictures that take minutes to load.

The other huge advantage of changing the books to a more open format is that you are no longer restricted to only being able to read your books on a PPC.

Who is to say what kind of mobile device you might have in the future. If you have purchased a book, surely you wouldn't want to have to buy it again if you want to read it on a device that does not have a Microsoft operating system.

I intend to keep my collection of unprotected novels in .lit format and only convert the books I have purchased to .prc. If I ever change to a different operating system, it would be easier just to download the free books again in the applicable format, than going through the conversion process.

davidspalding
08-09-2003, 04:28 AM
I can relate to what you say Goldtee. I have loads of classic novels in .lit format that are just fine to read on MS Reader. There's not much to be gained by converting them, especially since there are no DRM issues. It's books with lots of graphics and maps that could use something better.

As well as ubook, I'm also trying out the trial of Mobipocket Pro. My first impressions are that this is going to be one I keep, it's a more refined application than ubook on the whole. Of course you have to pay for it, so it bloody well should be.

No you don't. After the trial period ends, it just reverts to the freeware version. You lose some features, but it still works, and will still read secure .PRC eBooks without registration. They don't make this crystal clear on their site, to their own detriment.

jkendrick
08-09-2003, 04:49 PM
I believe Palm Media offers the Palm Studio app that will build the Palm Reader format ebooks from other source formats.

I don't use it but you might want to check it out for more information.

dh
08-10-2003, 01:46 PM
I believe Palm Media offers the Palm Studio app that will build the Palm Reader format ebooks from other source formats.

I don't use it but you might want to check it out for more information.

I looked at this and yes, you are correct. It looks to be rather like the Palm version of Mobipocket Publisher. I didn't see a basic free version though which Mobipocket does have.

If you wanted to convert a protected .lit book, you would still have to use Convert Lit to convert the file to HTML first.

For anyone that is a Palm Reader fan, this would be a good way of being able to read the free MS books without having to go back to MS Reader.