View Full Version : The Missing Application?

Jason Dunn
08-06-2003, 12:00 AM
Ok, it's time for a giant brainstorming session! What are some of the applications you'd like to see for the Pocket PC? Throw reality outside the window for a second - what are some of the applications that you'd wish a developer would create? Yes, I know Doom 3 is on the list, but what else? Get creative, get innovative, and remember that in a brainstorming session there are no right or wrong answers - I don't want to see anyone else criticizing the ideas from someone else. I'd like you to focus specifically on software here, not on the hardware. Let's just assume that today's hardware is capable of running your dream application.<br /><br />I know several developers who will be monitoring this thread looking for ideas for their next application, so you just might see your idea turned into something great! Remember though that by posting your idea you're making it public domain and shouldn't expect to receive compensation for it. :wink:

Terry
08-06-2003, 12:13 AM
Pocket UNO!
2 player IR/WiFi/Bluetooth capable.
Desktop card face/back editor.

jaybird
08-06-2003, 12:14 AM
I'd be interested in seeing a Call Center application.

We have over 200 outbound reps and 100 inbound reps. Being able to monitor their stats and call queue information wirelessly would be great. A killer feature would allow me to plug in to a line using a head set connected to my PPC.

I know its a specific industry and specific needs, but it would sure be great to have!

CoreyJF
08-06-2003, 12:17 AM
Voice recognition tecnology that works. Not just for simple commands. I want to dictate into word.

JohnJohn
08-06-2003, 12:17 AM
A REAL F'N EMAIL CLIENT! :devilboy:
A football game (Madden PPC) :)

edit: Pocket Quickbooks

midili
08-06-2003, 12:25 AM
this is incredibly un-sexy, but:

In Outlook I can see the calendars of everyone that works for me and everyone I work for. I would love to have that information available to me on my PPC, but none of the syncing programs allow it. Some allow you to get multiple sub- or private folders and there are apps that allow you to view multiple calendars, but nothing to get at other people's schedules that I have access to. I keep telling myself I'm going to write an app to handle this, does anyone else have this need?

wm5051
08-06-2003, 12:37 AM
I want my favorite applications to work together and with the native apps on the device -

AvantGo-style synchronization and wireless acceess to handheld friendly content. Links within AvantGo would open into a Vindigo-esque mapping application. Both Apps would be fully integrated with my calendar and address book.

Example 1 - Open an address entry, click on the address to map, and then find local services.
Example 2 - Have a channel subscription to my favorite sports team, TV show, etc. and have the schedule added to my calendar.

The key is to work in both sync and wireless modes - take advantage of a signal when I have it, and reference stored content on the device when I do not.

PPCRules
08-06-2003, 12:39 AM
How about a simple outlining app, with accompanying PC application, which supports automatic archiving (on the PC) of checked off items with date and time stamp.

It was either PC Outline or something called something like bcoOutline that did this sort of thing. That app was never supported well and had some other problems, but I've never seen another app that had the auto archiving feature.

The outlining type apps I've checked out on the PPC either go overboard in some non-core features that get in the way, or are way too expensive to consider, or have never been polished up.

acollet
08-06-2003, 12:42 AM
For me there are two missing applications. One is a sports program similar to that ScoreBoard http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=software.showsoftware&sid=70D3BC7B-9355-488A-AB6BDB1902693A50&prodID=45622

The other is TenPin solitare.. The game combines bowling w/ solitare.

GoldKey
08-06-2003, 12:43 AM
Useful Word and Excel.

derosnec
08-06-2003, 12:45 AM
Since I am probably never going to finish this darn thing, I might as well post it here. Its not strictly a PPC app, more of a activestink plugin

Some software that downloads random MP3's (or OGG etc) from you HDD onto your PPC, filling a pre-defined area (Eg 30% of Card 1), and generates a playlist of your requested type (WMP, Pocket MVP etc)

This way, each day you have a random(ish) selection of music to listen to on the train.

Go forth and develop..go go go... :D

freitasm
08-06-2003, 12:46 AM
I want my favorite applications to work together and with the native apps on the device -

Example 1 - Open an address entry, click on the address to map, and then find local services.
Example 2 - Have a channel subscription to my favorite sports team, TV show, etc. and have the schedule added to my calendar.

The key is to work in both sync and wireless modes - take advantage of a signal when I have it, and reference stored content on the device when I do not.

I use http://www.actionengine.com (I have a demo account). It's a shame they market it as a walled garden for O2 and Orange. But since I'm always showing mobile applications this is a great tool (and my company worked with them before).

I'd think on improving this kind of application. It integrations Location, on-line retail, and allows the user to book dinner, buy tickets and send off invitiations to everyone (including maps) and add the meeting to the calendar. It's really cool.

Video11
08-06-2003, 12:48 AM
How about a Newton Style Notepad (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12137&highlight=newton)? I've never actually seen it but from the description in the thread it sounds like a great way to take notes.

PPCRules
08-06-2003, 12:52 AM
A port of something like SmallBasic or cbasPad to the PocketPC, with both on-device and PC-based program editing.

fireflyrsmr
08-06-2003, 12:52 AM
I would like to see a graphics program that emulates the capability in powerpoints drawing package. boxes, connectors, spline curve, circles, fill with color etc. nothing seems to do that. i have pocket artist but when i want to make a simple block image type cartoon to communicate a concept it looks free form and messy. pocket word has some of this for the closed polygons but try and draw a nice curved line to connect two boxes. Pocketmindmap has the kind of curvey line control in it so i know the machine will do it right now.

I'd also like the sync program to not wipe out the dates when any scrap of document was created. but if it must i would think there would be a utility to change them back or just let me screw with the most important ones.

handwriting program that never makes a mistake.

a small - simple - matlab type program that could model a few (3 or 4) masses and springs with graphic output of variables. linear and nonlinear spring definitions - torsion springs too.

a small finite element program that could handle maybe 1000 plates. something to experiment with.

second the request for quickbooks.

upplepop
08-06-2003, 12:54 AM
Some software that downloads random MP3's (or OGG etc) from you HDD onto your PPC, filling a pre-defined area (Eg 30% of Card 1), and generates a playlist of your requested type (WMP, Pocket MVP etc)

Your said it derosnec. I have been looking for something like this for ages! I found a workaround by using a program called MP3 Files Randomizer (http://download.com.com/3000-2141-10141221.html?tag=lst-0-2) [download.com], but it only works on mp3's and I have to move the files and create playlists myself.

Someone please develop this! It shouldn't be that hard.

nz0eBoy
08-06-2003, 01:02 AM
A better version of Money for PPC. One that lets me see my budget on my PPC and also lets me see a forcast of my cashflow - so I can decide whether I can afford a new PPC when I am in the store.

Second a better drawing program.

Jer
08-06-2003, 01:02 AM
A plugin for pIE that would prevent the need for horizontal scrolling.

A landscape app that didn't require a soft reset...

I second the vote for Voice Recognition.

An email client that would notify you of new emails even in sleep mode.

An app that would notify me even in sleep mode that there is new mail in my yahoo mail.

koriel
08-06-2003, 01:07 AM
I would love more applications designed to be used whilst my machine is in its cradle. An example of this may be an add-on to MS Flight Sim that uses my iPAQ as a remote touch sensitive display for the GPS system or throttles or ....

Another example may be used to provide performance information whilst your main PC system is running, ideal for diagnostics in a server room (of course, for maximum convenience you would need 1 cradle per server, but who cares about money?)

Larrison
08-06-2003, 01:10 AM
I want the ability to read encrypted emails. I do M&A and around 90% of my email is encrypted... Fundamentally the Inbox function of the PDA is worthless without this to me... I can read the "subject" line, but nothing else..

Oh yeah.. I would be *really* useful to have better Pocket Excel functions like graphics and macros, and in Pocket Word. And having a native Powerpoint would be really useful too..

SandersP
08-06-2003, 01:17 AM
1. Music sheet reader plus a simple editor.
2. score tracker. (bowling, pool, horse betting, crickets....
3. Mathlab/mathematica/maple (I can't believe nobody hasn't ported serious math tool yet beside Maxima)
4. Gnuplot (yes there is one port, but there is no front end, and part of it is still fubar)
5. landscape/portrait with no reset for 2k3.
6. Simple 'do-it-yourself' all in one package for house repair. From trouble shooting, how to, tool/material recommendation, all the way to step by step fixing the problem, and cost estimate.
7. ditto with car trouble shooting
8. cartoon sketch pad with music sync.
9. actully working text to speech apps
10. a real notepad (math notation, music notation)
11. specialized notepad (math, chem, phys, bio, law, you name it...) it has tools for common non text input, and also various text short cuts
12. Full featured spreadsheet. charting, plug ins.

JonnoB
08-06-2003, 01:21 AM
I would like to see a Microsoft supported or authored complete gaming SDK similar to the full desktop DirectX including graphics, sound, network play, etc. GAPI is cool, but is only a small piece of the puzzle. I would love to see the Pocket PC become a great gaming platform. Trust me, just as with the desktop PC, it will push technology adoption along much faster than enterprise applications will.

SandersP
08-06-2003, 01:22 AM
oh yea that too. I want PSX quality gaming in PPC, pronto!

DHeckler
08-06-2003, 01:23 AM
A tool for annotating and indexing photos taken in the field.
An application or component for freezing an image coming from an attached camera, providing the immediate opportunity for annotating an image (See Resco Picture Viewer for a fine example of annotation tools), tool for indexing the image right then and there (Title, Subject, Author, Keywords, Date of publication, GPS Location, see Adobe PhotoShop Album for a great example of image indexing or “tagging”), then saving the image to a JPEG and the annotation and index information as a separate XML file (SVG for shapes annotations, binary for audio). The key here is that the output must not be proprietary, and the annotations and index information must remain “separate” from the image information as the output would likely be uploaded to a corporate content management system. The second key is Minimal screen taps. Imagine standing in the Arizona desert taking dozens of photos that need to be annotated and indexed. It’s gotta be built for the purpose.
If its out there, I haven’t found it.
If someone builds it, I’ll buy a few copies and I’ll encourage all my cohorts in the industry to do so as well.
Capturing all this annotation and index information for photos taken in the field is a massive drain on resources for the construction industry (as well as the insurance industry). I would think a developer who built such a thing would have a big success on their hands if they managed to keep it non-proprietary.

bjc144
08-06-2003, 01:24 AM
1) Fax app that's integrated into Pocket Inbox. Autosenses incoming calls and anwers if they are a fax

2) A today screen plugin that monitors minutes left in your cell phone plan (for CDMA)

3) An app similar to the 555-1212 PQA for palm. Search against the yellowpages. 1 click to either e-mail, dial or add to contacts

4) Birthdays and anniversaries within contacts should show up in Calendar

5) Shared folders on a Windows machine

6) Blackberry like software (would also require service)

bjc144
08-06-2003, 01:27 AM
7) application that uses e-911 to automatically alert you if a traffic jam or severe weather is in your area

8) PIE in landscape without reset!

T-Will
08-06-2003, 01:27 AM
A utility that automatically counts how many licks it takes to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Roll Pop. It would then connect to the internet and upload the average of your results into a central database that would then average everyone's results and come to a final answer (actually always changing slightly when new data is uploaded) of how many licks does it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Roll Pop! :D

derosnec
08-06-2003, 01:28 AM
Umm.. what is a tootsie roll?
:oops:

oom
08-06-2003, 01:29 AM
A billing program with a calendar view.
This way I can keep track of the myriad clients I need to invoice, who has paid me, my various rates and what not.
Include reports with the ability to generate invoices.

An Illustrator type vector graphics program.

oom

T-Will
08-06-2003, 01:33 AM
Umm.. what is a tootsie roll?
:oops:

http://www.tootsie.com/

Click on the "Memories" link to see what I'm talking about... ;)

rnh7372
08-06-2003, 01:46 AM
How about a simple outlining app, with accompanying PC application...

I would LOVE to see an outliner for PPC that is as advanced as Bonsai (for POS) both on the desktop and the PDA!!!

That is the one app I really miss since making the switch to PPC. :cry: I'm sure there are many "converts" that would agree. All of the outliner/list apps I've tried for PPC are so limited and/or the desktop versions are weak.

clintc
08-06-2003, 01:49 AM
I'm feeling particularily generous today and will give you all an idea for an app (an extension of a current app actually) that would be a huge hit - especially as more ppcs use wireless connections. I should make money from this idea myself. But, here you are:

The app is an extension of instant messenger that would allow the ppc user to send a bitmap of his writing instead of text. That way, you just write stuff and the human on the other end can figure it out. It would be fast, convenient and very useful. IM would have to be modified (extended) on the pc side to accept the bitmaps instead of just text. This would be a killer app for the tablet PC too!

Now, whoever writes this thing and makes a lot of money - don't forget about me!

Clint

mjhamson
08-06-2003, 01:53 AM
Since I am probably never going to finish this darn thing, I might as well post it here. Its not strictly a PPC app, more of a activestink plugin

This way, each day you have a random(ish) selection of music to listen to on the train.

Go forth and develop..go go go... :D

This application already exists, it is called Windows Media Player 9. However, it only supports devices that work with the open protocol established for WMP. It is a shame that the PDA folk don't team up with the subscription part of the service. I have no idea if the general file transfer works for PDAs... Since I am now PDA-less, it would be nice if someone could confirm is this feature works are not.

http://windowsmedia.com/9series/Personalization/CoolDevices.asp?#PDA

MadKing
08-06-2003, 01:55 AM
visio :drool:

Ed Hansberry
08-06-2003, 01:57 AM
TextPad for Pocket PC - www.textpad.com

dh
08-06-2003, 01:58 AM
I'd like a reader app for ebooks. (Sick of MSreader since I installed the update)

D.psi
08-06-2003, 01:59 AM
1) A working version of activeSynch

2) A truly universal remote application, for home automation purposes (i.e. automated blinds, climate control, etc...) that could be used remotely (i.e. thunder showers coming, tell house windows to close from work). Remotely program the VCR. Switch lights on, etc...

3) Anything that REALLY leverages the computing power of the PPC while on the move. Having a store of local data (i.e. map), that identifies its surroundings (GPS), and if necessary queries the web (WIFI, etc...) to supplement data as required. Sort of a unified map-quest/blast w/ GPS, allowing for wireless transit/transportation(primarily bus, trains) schedule/routing lookup. Wireless traffic information, and Taxi requests, etc...

tigerhunter
08-06-2003, 01:59 AM
I'd love to see an application to download entire web sites (to be browsed off-line), just as Sunnysoft or Pocket WebCopier do, but it should display pages in PDA format (like Skweeze does). A combination of both capacities would make a wonderful app.

pschultz
08-06-2003, 02:00 AM
4) Birthdays and anniversaries within contacts should show up in Calendar
Pocket Informant already does this!

kevhead
08-06-2003, 02:00 AM
1. An application that checks for email, then puts device to sleep, then wakes device up in a few minutes to check email again. Need some way to get a few more hours of battery life while email checking.

2. Telnet app. with programable hot keys.

3. Network Status lights (Transmit/receive) on the top menu bar. Simular to Windows 2000/XP network status indicator. I miss being able to see if im sending or receiving with my Built in Wifi (IPaq 5455).

3a. The top left LED lights in the iPaq 5400 whould flash when sending or receiving.

4. Better Battery and Back Light Control utilities.

uxnome
08-06-2003, 02:02 AM
1.the ability to decide what actually taking up precious ROM space.
Not particular happy with "pre-installed" software.
2. Better Multimedia support or options.
3. guaranteed ROM updates and support.
4. removeable / addable Desktop Icons feature.
5. Dockable toolbar (Ie Mac OS)
6. Skinable interface (Not just Themes-Complete interface)

stevehiner
08-06-2003, 02:11 AM
Visual Studio.NET (obviously some sub-set of it's features)

So I can write code without pulling out my laptop. Perfect for PPC development while sitting on the couch or riding (not driving) in a car or on a plane.

brianchris
08-06-2003, 02:14 AM
Not to be presumptious, but is there really any more of a missing application in PPC than a (true) Pocket Access? Yes, Pocket Power Point, BUT while not included in ROM, a number of 3rd party developers seem to already have excelent solutions for that. Besides, Pocket Access is even a syncable option in all versions of ActiveSync, confusing many PPC owners.

Yes, there have been attempts, but unless I'm seriously mistaken (which has happened before :wink: ), they don't seemlesly / automatically syncronize using the exisitng conduit in Activesync and, IMHO try to do so many grand features they forget about the little stuff. Specifically, how about an database app that *just* syncronizes tables ONLY in a desktop Access (mdb) file, and syncronizes those tables as easily as worksheets in an Excel / Pocket Excel file (xls). JUST FOCUS ON THAT.....no querries, relationships, etc. Sure, those additional features on the PPC would be nice, but only if basic, automatic, two way Access table syncronization was rock solid first.

So, how about it.......is there already an application that easliy syncronizes just Access tables both ways? If so, whoever says so I will be forever in their debt, and the developer of said app will quickly have my money. If there isn't already an app that does this, why? Is it really that hard? It honestly doesn't seem like it would be that difficult, and/or require theoritical / dream hardware specs, but, alas, I'm not a developer, and that is why I am posting instead of coding.

-Brian

jage
08-06-2003, 02:24 AM
Maybe a port of lcc or something like that. I'm too lazy to port it, someone else please do that? ;)

(lcc is retargetable C-compiler)

DHeckler
08-06-2003, 02:36 AM
A "Lefty" aplet for putting scroll bars on the left. I have looked many times for this, still have yet to find anything.

mty
08-06-2003, 02:38 AM
1. Internet Explorer 6!

2. Always-on AIM

Paragon
08-06-2003, 02:39 AM
Pocket Quickbooks

I haven't rerad the whole thread yet, so forgive me if this has been discussed.

For Quickbooks on the PPC google "Captra" and "Lowfat Invoice for Quickbooks" There is another one as well I think it is called "Solstice"

Dave

beq
08-06-2003, 02:42 AM
TextPad for Pocket PC - www.textpad.comHeh I use it quite often too (well I also have UltraEdit)...

Mr. Resistor
08-06-2003, 02:44 AM
I'd have to second the thought regarding a decent outliner like Bonsai with both a Pocket version and a Desktop version. Another application that I wish would have made the trip from Palm was the old Think DB. The company that made it sold the Palm version to DataViz and now has a Pocket PC version that is subscription based and supports all kinds of server based and wireless syncing. I would really love a nice, simple database that syns with Access. I must have 5 different DBs and none is "transparent" the way they should be.

William Yeung
08-06-2003, 02:47 AM
A stable platform like Palm-
Think about it.... when you are hurry to turn your pocket pc to jot down some quick information, your machine suddenly slowdown.... you wait and wait until you cannot withstand that and soft reset, took another 10 seconds to boot up...

Dear Microsoft- I know you guys have been working hard on the platform, but we are still quite a bit far in terms of a stable OS... today I just suffered again with my WM2003 machine... most speed has increased, but this kind of occassional slowdown is a very important issue on a PDA platform.

Furthermore- The GREAT ALARM ISSUE? RESOLVE IT!

pgh1969pa
08-06-2003, 02:53 AM
I'm still waiting for a Maple, Mathmatica, or Mathcad progam that run native in the os. I'll probably still be waiting years from now! If a ram starved calculator can have a CAS, I know a ppc can.

CTSLICK
08-06-2003, 02:56 AM
A nice medium duty outliner that integrates with the Task List. I not talking about one of these massive bloated gotta duplicate MS Project things. Just a nice outliner with some basic project management functionality and the ability to see project tasks on the native task list.

This is the one app I still haven't found a replacement for from my Palm OS days. For great examples go to Palmgear (yes you can do that, your PC won't explode) and search for Progect (yes, its really spelled that way) or Bonsai.

ipaq38vette
08-06-2003, 03:01 AM
CAKEWALK HOME STUDIO XL! Any kind of decent midi app. This would be the absolute killer app for a musician to have on the road for touching up personal midi files. I would sacrifice 5-10MB of space for midi instruments. Add a multilayer audio recording app to record on the fly. That would beat spending $500 on a portable guitar recorder. It would also open up a new branch of PPC users: Musicians!

gorkon280
08-06-2003, 03:01 AM
I would like to have gtk and the GIMP ported to PPC and also a GPL'd SSH client versus the pay ones.

M4X P0W3R
08-06-2003, 03:10 AM
One of my old favorites for the pc.... Grand Theft Auto! It's small in size and infinitely replayable. Granted, getting the rights (and gathering the skill) to port a PPC version is probably way too hard... but still! :D

Prevost
08-06-2003, 03:26 AM
A CAD program that is compatible with multiple drawing formats. Today, although there are several different packages, none of them allows you to use more than one AutoCAD -compatible drawing format. I would also like it to allow the drawings to include associated data and the capability to modify/customize that data or make direct reference to another drawing file.

AND (obviously) keeping it relatively cheap :mrgreen:

It would be also nice to have Pocket Word and Pocket XL managing files the way PocketCAD and other CAD programs do - that is, without losing format info no matter they do not reproduce the full original formatting on the PPC screen.

FINALLY (for now, I mean)...a more frugal operating system :mrgreen: !

Kati Compton
08-06-2003, 03:38 AM
Most of this has already been stated, but...

- A basic paint program like MS Paint
- A basic PowerPoint program that can handle basic objects, text, colors, etc, but maybe not clip art, sounds, or animations. This could even be a separate program that can open & save as .ppt or maybe even Visio format.

I'm thinking back to the days of old MacPaint and MacDraw, and how they were each useful for different purposes. I'd like to see equivalents.

- Cascading Start menu!
- Theme switcher program (ie, change it every x minutes)
- Better task support on the Today screen!
- Hierarchical tasks / separate to-do lists
- Spider / Freecell / Minesweeper
- Telnet / SSH / FTP
- Good plain text editor
- Desktop client to control the PPC in the cradle.
- Basic database client
- Landscape mode that doesn't require any resetting
- Standalone flash support (ie, don't have to use PIE)

These are things I'd like to see as standard, though I know 3rd party software exists for a lot of it. I know it's a lot to ask for. ;)

As for other software (which may not be standard) -
- Basic 2D CAD tool (define a shape, rotate it, move it)...
- Civilization II
- Scaled back version of The Sims
- Trillian
- QCD and/or WinAMP
- A C/C++ compiler

blang
08-06-2003, 03:40 AM
Pocket Uno and Pocket Skip Bo

Kati Compton
08-06-2003, 03:42 AM
You could have a multiplayer BT/WiFi game of Rock, Paper, Scissors.... :lol:

Prevost
08-06-2003, 03:46 AM
I would like also to see "Pocket Project". Does it exist???
As for other software (which may not be standard) -
- Basic 2D CAD tool (define a shape, rotate it, move it)... Well, you can check out PocketCAD Pro and PowerCAD ($99) For sure they can do that...but I am not sure if they can be considered "basic". Thats the problem. But consider this, "basic" REAL CAD programs tend to be dissapointing and worst of all, deceivingly "simple" If not, check out Autodesk's QuickCAD :evil:

Bob Anderson
08-06-2003, 03:48 AM
As a manager, I am frustrated at the ways I have to use the tools available to handle employee tracking. Why not have one app that helps me:

1. Track attendance (sick/vacation, etc.) and display in calendar
2. Track projects by employee (link to contacts) and subject
3. Query by employees, projects, dates, etc.
4. "journal" the project status notes and comments rec'd by employees or notes I make about the project
5. A "observations" journal, where I can write comments about employee performance and then have a running history of employee activity/performance with automatic date stamping, etc.
6. Reminders of important task deadlines assigned to employees, and ported to the outlook calendar
7. and much, much, more!!

Then, we need a real, high quality MS-Access port for the PPC!!!

Kati Compton
08-06-2003, 03:51 AM
- Basic 2D CAD tool (define a shape, rotate it, move it)... Well, you can check out PocketCAD Pro and PowerCAD ($99) For sure they can do that...but I am not sure if they can be considered "basic". Thats the problem. But consider this, "basic" REAL CAD programs tend to be dissapointing and worst of all, deceivingly "simple" If not, check out Autodesk's QuickCAD :evil:
Yeah - I'm just not willing to pay that much to fiddle around drawing imaginary fantasy house plans. ;) Most CAD programs have WAY more functionality than I'd need. PowerPoint is about all I'd need, provided I could turn on a grid, set the grid spacing, and set the "snap to grid" size. And preferably in inches instead of "points".

But I'm strange, so I may be the only one that would want something like this. I think it might also be useful for working out woodworking projects...

rocky_raher
08-06-2003, 03:54 AM
1. A television receiver (Granted, this requires hardware as well as software, but it should be doable.)
2. Access. Not Pocket Access. My favorite database has a three-tier relationship, and tables with two indexes. Pocket Access couldn't handle them.
3. A Windows scripting utility. Something that would, at specified times, launch an app (if it wasn't already loaded), then send it a set of screen taps or text input.

fj900
08-06-2003, 04:04 AM
A fully functional excel. With this I would not need a laptop in addition to my PPC.

Prevost
08-06-2003, 04:05 AM
Yeah - I'm just not willing to pay that much to fiddle around drawing imaginary fantasy house plans. ;) Most CAD programs have WAY more functionality than I'd need. PowerPoint is about all I'd need, provided I could turn on a grid, set the grid spacing, and set the "snap to grid" size. And preferably in inches instead of "points".

But I'm strange, so I may be the only one that would want something like this. I think it might also be useful for working out woodworking projects...Well, I think yours is a VERY good idea: getting ideas together, we could have a CAD program with "light" drawing capabilities from scratch but at the same time capable to open dwg, dxf, and dwf formats for on-site reference.

BTW, you are the first person I meet anywhere, anyway, that is thinking of CAD in a PDA. Its incredible. Herearound, it looks as I am the only one trying to give GOOD use of available technology in civil engineering field.

people just do not know how useful a PDA can be. Since I own my Palm, I don't know what I would do without it besides rushing for another one...

SassKwatch
08-06-2003, 04:10 AM
A nice medium duty outliner that integrates with the Task List. I not talking about one of these massive bloated gotta duplicate MS Project things. Just a nice outliner with some basic project management functionality and the ability to see project tasks on the native task list.

This is the one app I still haven't found a replacement for from my Palm OS days. For great examples go to Palmgear (yes you can do that, your PC won't explode) and search for Progect (yes, its really spelled that way) or Bonsai.

Amen!
Ditto!
I 2nd the motion!
Whatever your chosen method for acknowledging agreement, insert here. :D

I found 'Shadow Plan' on the Palm platform before I heard of Bonsai. So, I have only hearsay of Bonsai's capabilites, but from a 'Features' list at either's site, they would seem to be pretty much on an equal footing.

Shadow Plan was *WAY* more functional 2 yr ago, when I left the Palm platform, than anything available on PPC even today.

The only PPC app that comes even close, IMO, is Pocket MindMap. And it's a little too buggy....and bloated....to garner much in the way of enthusiastic support.

bmhome1
08-06-2003, 04:22 AM
A sophisticated global screen calibrator application that would allow contrast adjustment preferences, with multiple selectable settings for photos, text, book reading at night, full sunlit text.

Along with color tweaking making possible user set preferences for compensating weak yellows on 3900 iPaq's, blueish overall tones for Toshibas, adjustment for purplish darks on 3800 iPaq's, etc. Color reference bars to adjust sliders for these color fine-tunings.

High-end version with color calibration sequence for matching a reference standard card for digital photographers to view best possible quality.

Prevost
08-06-2003, 04:24 AM
NETSCAPE NAVIGATOR FOR POCKET PC!!!

Sorry Billy. Browsing the net Netscape's way is my quiet riot against your monopoly.

flux2k
08-06-2003, 04:25 AM
My dream app would act like an intelligent notepad. You would write on the screen and the program would transribe it into text and figure out what you're writing down. For example, if I wrote down a name, phone number and email address (not even necessarily in that order) it would figure out that I want to add a person to my contacts. If I wrote down a formula it would automatically figure out the answer to that formula. If I wrote down a date and some text, it would figure out that this is an event I want in my calendar. And so on and so on - it could launch urls, execute programs etc. etc. Instead of the user learning how to use the apps, the ppc would figure out what the user would want to do.

Prevost
08-06-2003, 04:26 AM
A sophisticated global screen calibrator application that would allow contrast adjustment preferences, with multiple selectable settings for photos, text, book reading at night, full sunlit text.

Along with color tweaking making possible user set preferences for compensating weak yellows on 3900 iPaq's, blueish overall tones for Toshibas, adjustment for purplish darks on 3800 iPaq's, etc. Color reference bars to adjust sliders for these color fine-tunings.

High-end version with color calibration sequence for matching a reference standard card for digital photographers to view best possible quality.Add to that, capability to make those adjustments via hard buttons.

SassKwatch
08-06-2003, 04:27 AM
As a manager, I am frustrated at the ways I have to use the tools available to handle employee tracking. Why not have one app that helps me:.......

Excellent idea!

But heck, it's a royal PITA for one person to track their own data *and* put it in a presentable 'this is what I did today' format to be delivered to their boss without jumping through hoops. It doesn't surprise me in the least there isn't the fairly sophistocated 'Human Resources' type app you seem to be suggesting.

It just boggles my mind that as important as productivity is in today's world this continues to be such a source of frustration. It's great for upper exec types to have MS Project for the big picture, but heck, there's an *awful lot* of folks out there that just need a simple way to report.....
- I started this task at 9am and completed at 11:15am.
- I attended such and such a meeting from 12:00pm - 1:30pm.
- Etc

And then with just a minimal number of mouse/stylus clicks, generate a report from the above detailing those items for a user defined time period....be it daily, weekly, or.........

pschultz
08-06-2003, 04:39 AM
1.) Show tasks on the Today screen (I know 3rd party programs do this, but I want it built in with the OS)
2.) The ability to rearrange the Start Menu

UPDATE: 3.) HTML email support

ledpocket
08-06-2003, 04:40 AM
I think there are a few app's that might meet some of these requests:

spreadce is pretty close to excel (at least better than pxl)

abd-idea is kind of an ouliner that links files and such into the native tasks

ipdashboard will put a network status icon into the top or bottom bar and it flashes for send and for receive. works pretty well with icbar.

sorry, no links, but I'm on my 2215 and too lazy to root for links.

My current app wish is just a combo multiie / ftxbrowser pie plugin that would allow multiple pages, save images, open in a new window...if I wasn't clueless about c++, I would be at it right now.

lmtuxinc
08-06-2003, 04:47 AM
Games for pocket pc - Trivial Pursuit and Chinese checkers

Control your tivo from your pocket pc over the internet.

GPS navigation with weather alerts, live traffic conditions and locations of the lowest gas prices around you.

SandersP
08-06-2003, 04:48 AM
Most of this has already been stated, but...

There are about 5 freebie

http://www.pocketpcfreewares.com/index.php?cat=9&sortby=date

chris234
08-06-2003, 05:09 AM
Let's see.....

A decent IMAP client, with SSL support and secure SMTP.

An AIM client that supports chatrooms.

A web browser with client (X509) certificate support.

An SFTP client.

It'd also be cool if the PPC AvantGo client acted more like the Palm one, allowing for online refresh of pages on the fly.

That about covers the wishlist......

SassKwatch
08-06-2003, 05:17 AM
I think there are a few app's that might meet some of these requests:

abd-idea is kind of an ouliner that links files and such into the native tasks

At first blush, that seems to lack what, IMO, is a serious need for a serious outliner....the ability to drag/drop 'ideas' from location to another, and more importantly to 'indent' an 'Idea' automatically making it a child of the idea above it...or conversely outdenting it to raise it to the same hierarchal level as it's former parent.

tim254
08-06-2003, 05:22 AM
- Inline Editing in everything ... Calendar, Tasks, Contacts. PI has inline editing in the calendar, but I would also like to be able to select an alarm/ reminder time without going to a separate screen. Inline editing of tasks would be my favorite feature .... selecting categories, alarm, editing notes, etc. from the main screen.

- Bonsai or Shadow Plan for the PPC (real outliner that integrates with tasks ... projects with tasks ... arrange tasks order/priority under projects via drap and drop)

- Automatic Alarm Notes and/or Quick Alarm Notes Choices. I'd like to be able to record a voice note and have it automtically remind me in 1 hour or let me set a reminder quickly by just pressing a preset button on the screen (15 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour, etc.) I think 3-6 big buttons with choices would be sufficient.

- Not software, but I really want a thumb keyboard w/the same specs (weight) as my iPAQ 1910.

Hank Scorpio
08-06-2003, 05:39 AM
The app is an extension of instant messenger that would allow the ppc user to send a bitmap of his writing instead of text. That way, you just write stuff and the human on the other end can figure it out. It would be fast, convenient and very useful. IM would have to be modified (extended) on the pc side to accept the bitmaps instead of just text. This would be a killer app for the tablet PC too!

Clint

cool, you could play pictionary that way or that cool shockwave game inklink http://www.shockwave.com/sw/content/inklink15

jimski
08-06-2003, 05:57 AM
This may sound real simple, but I am looking for an application to track my time. I used a Palm app called SDS Time for a couple years and it worked great. I have not found anything similar in the Pocket PC platform to date.

I am not an Attorney or Accountant, so I don't nned to track my time to bill my clients, but I would like to keep track of where my time goes each day.

The application provided a month view across the top, represent by 4 (or 5) weeks buckets. The view could be drilled down in days, with the seven days of the week across the top. Along the left edge was an area to enter projects, up to I think 15 active projects (or clients) at a time. Each week, you could import project titles from the previous week.

There were presets for time blocks like; 1 hour 1.5 hours, etc. All I did each day was entery the estimated hours I spent on each activity for the day. Like for example; 3 hours on Project 1, 2.5 hours on Project 2, 1 hour on Production Meeting, 4 hours on Programming, etc. The weeks chart would total down, for hours per day and across for hours allotted to a particular project for the week.

Now I know I can do all of this with a simple spreadsheet, but now this information was saved week to week and could be accumulated by date range, totaled by month, etc.

One day my boss asked me to estimate how many hours I had spent dedicated to a particular client's special project for the past six months. Everyone in the room was wowed when I few seconds later, I respnded with, "about 487.25 hours".

This is a useful application that is simple to use (only takes a few seconds a day to keep it updated). I would be willing to pay $19.95 for it today, if it existed.

ctmagnus
08-06-2003, 06:22 AM
A subset of Visio, if only for viewing the files

PowerPoint viewer (maybe minimal editing)

Pocket Quickbooks, or something as simple as BillableBuddy that doesn't require additional .Net framework components to be installed (even on WM2003)

Telnet

Something to control SNMP-based devices (eg, WAPs, routers, etc)

Simple CAD program, a la Kati (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=147259#147259)

FTP client

T-Will
08-06-2003, 06:44 AM
A "Lefty" aplet for putting scroll bars on the left. I have looked many times for this, still have yet to find anything.

YES! PLEASE! I've wanted this feature for a while in Pocket PC but had forgotten about it, thanks for bringing this up!

nosmohtac
08-06-2003, 06:50 AM
I'd like a reader app for ebooks. (Sick of MSreader since I installed the update)

ubook (http://gowerpoint.com) is pretty close to the perfect reader. It's free (lest you want to make a donation) it reads html,.txt,.rtf,.pdb,.prc, and best of all it will read them from within .rar or .zip files without even unzipping them first. It offers variable speed autoscroll and user defined table of contents criteria, plus much much more.

I used to use the ms reader add in in word to convert ebooks to .lit, now I just open them in word, and save them as either plain text or rich text.

Kati Compton
08-06-2003, 06:52 AM

There are about 5 freebie

http://www.pocketpcfreewares.com/index.php?cat=9&sortby=date
Yes, but I was saying that I thought it should come standard.

nosmohtac

I second that.

Robotbeat
a small - simple - matlab type program that could model a few (3 or 4) masses and springs with graphic output of variables. linear and nonlinear spring definitions - torsion springs too.

a small finite element program that could handle maybe 1000 plates. something to experiment with.

That doesn't sound too hard to do, except that I would want it to be just like a "client" piece of software because it'd just be too slow on a PPC, especially whenever you have floating point (i.e. all the time for that sort of stuff). I do work with MatLab and FEMlab (along with some other special finite element research code), and I found that it's just easier to have like a Beowulf cluster do the hard stuff for ya (and the same thing applies with a PPC... a PC is like a big supercomputer compared to the floating point performance of the PPC). It doesn't seem too hard to write a console type program with like tables for the matrices and stuff, but you'd definitely want to have a network connection.

pschultz
08-06-2003, 07:09 AM
This may sound real simple, but I am looking for an application to track my time. I used a Palm app called SDS Time for a couple years and it worked great. I have not found anything similar in the Pocket PC platform to date.
This program (http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?productType=2&optionId=1_2_2&jid=5CD32X5261D4B515C82D55669B9F8D99&platformId=2&sortBy=downloads&siteId=1&productId=15386&sectionId=0&order=desc&catalog=30&txtSearch=Time+Track) might be somewhat similar to what you are looking for (atleast the summary tab).

nosmohtac
08-06-2003, 07:15 AM
I know that memory is getting less expensive as time goes by, and I have plenty of room left on my SD and CF cards.

With that said, I would like to see more applications that open data files, to be able to do it from a zipped file like Ubook does. Even MP3's could be played this way. The player could unzip and cache a certain portion ahead of what is playing right now and zip it back up when done. I know that MP3's are already compressed, but you could store them at higher bit rates and zip them, and they would still take up less space on your storage media.

flux2k
08-06-2003, 07:35 AM
A mp3/wma/ogg music player that normalizes on the fly and crossfades.

manywhere
08-06-2003, 08:02 AM
I would like to have a sound profile application, sort of the way that profiles work on Nokia mobiles.
So, I could set my iPaq to be quiet during a lesson until, say, 14:00 and after that, switch to normal sound profile so that I can hear it connect to the internet and other sounds... :D

Venturello
08-06-2003, 09:11 AM
Wow. So many ideas.

Something simple I have always missed is a chm viewer. This shouldnt be hard to program.

Also a complete compiler with a good dialog (window, form, whatever) editor and a decent IDE, plus all of MSDN, would be nice. I guess the problem here is not CPU power, because Visual Studio 6 can run in quite old PCs, but one of storage, since source code from libs (think MFC, etc) does take megs, and MSDN in now over a gig... C/C++ would be LOVELY, C# even more so. EVB... not so much. I know there are many around, but not any one of them did cut it for all I need. Would love to really develop software on the morning train raid!

szamot
08-06-2003, 10:13 AM
Did someone already say AciveSync that works. What's the point of having all these great apps if you can sync worth of you know what. That's all I want. Versitile Sync app that works with wireless, BT or just plain USB.

PR.
08-06-2003, 10:21 AM
A multithreaded OS! So when one app crashes it doesn't take everything else with it, and would allow reclaiming of leaked memory.

A meeting mute, that could be added into programs like PI4.5 so that when you have a meeting the plugin mutes the IPAQ, I know this is already done by another program but it doesn't support vibrate :(

All programs should intall themselves into \Storage Card\Program Files\&lt;app name> rather than dumping it into the root.

A program for the end user that allows a PPC to remote connect to your personal desktop machine and view emails, calendar using a PPC friendly view rather than Terminal Services

An IRC Program, theres a couple out but they are both a bit rubbish

A DirectX standard for the PPC which API like DirectPlay for multiplayer support

Jerôme Ammerlaan
08-06-2003, 11:32 AM
How about an PC emulator so that, given enough memory, I could run all my pc applications. It's been done voor C64, so why not WindowsXP?

Andy Whiteford
08-06-2003, 11:32 AM
One app that is out there and in my opinion is half way towards being truly great is Pocket Plus. I'll put here what I feel is lacking in the app as I'm sure SPB will get to hear about it. ;)

Today Plug in. It works good just now but is lacking in a couple of areas. You can assign quick launch icons however with Today screen real estate at a premium, I find the lack of a scrolling function so I can keep these icons on a single row one small reason why it's not permanently on my machine. Battery Pack handles this better imho and also includes Power Clean which would be good to see in Pocket Plus in one form or another. It would also be good to configure the size of components such as the battery panel etc. More options within reason are a good thing to get it just how the user wants.

Close Button. Again, this works great but the majority of users are already using Icbar or Wisbar or similar to manage this. If Pocket Plus would give me the ability to skin the top and bottom bar a la Icbar, this again would make it the clear winner in my eyes as most users like to have a form of individuality in their Today screen.

Repeating alarms. Yes, Pocket Plus does the job here well enough again, however not being able to accurately select the volume for an alarm outwith the presets or to tailor the way an alarm sounds for each different type in the way that Super Alert allows is a hindrance in my eyes.

Pocket Internet Explorer. With the release of Windows Media 2003, I'm happy with the functionality Pocket Plus offers in this department. Nothing obvious I would want to change here.

One major addition. A change to calendar options to allow you to view forthcoming appointments on the Today screen would be a real benefit to this Application. My personal favourite is tAgenda which is very customisable and lets you define how many entries to show and lets you put a lot of data onto a single line, again wasting little of the precious Today screen.

Okay, I'm being selfish by listing what I want but it will come as no surprise to find that I'm currently using all the alternatives I have listed here because they do each individal job better. Pocket Plus as it stands is a fantastic piece of software and if even two of the areas mentioned above were improved then I would have no hesitation in replacing all the individual alternatives with one all singing, all dancing application. Here's hoping Pocket Plus can become the number one piece of software for Pocket PC i.e. the killer utility.

maximus
08-06-2003, 11:52 AM
Yeah - I'm just not willing to pay that much to fiddle around drawing imaginary fantasy house plans.

Oh my god. And I use excel to draw my house plan. Shrinked the column width and rows height to 8 pixels (0.67) .... 4 columns x 4 rows is 1 square meters .....

red-alert
08-06-2003, 02:43 PM
tide chart and solunar hunting and fishing tables

mcasanova
08-06-2003, 02:54 PM
A sound app capable of brainwave syncronization with presets according to the desired task, ie, relaxation, concentration, well being. That would be a hit when traveling.

djdj
08-06-2003, 04:16 PM
3. Network Status lights (Transmit/receive) on the top menu bar. Simular to Windows 2000/XP network status indicator. I miss being able to see if im sending or receiving with my Built in Wifi (IPaq 5455).

"IP Network Monitor" does this.

Kati Compton
08-06-2003, 04:16 PM
Separate volume controls for system sounds (alarms), and program sounds (games). I'm always muting games, but then I can't hear alarms!

Dr. Smooth
08-06-2003, 04:34 PM
Pocket UNO!
2 player IR/WiFi/Bluetooth capable.
Desktop card face/back editor.

Look for Hot Death Uno on pocketgear in the next few weeks. No 2-player, but it will play standard and Hot Death variants.

djdj
08-06-2003, 04:42 PM
I would like to see more applications that open data files, to be able to do it from a zipped file like Ubook does. Even MP3's could be played this way.

MP3s don't compress well. You wouldn't be saving any storage space by zipping.

dh
08-06-2003, 04:51 PM

ubook (http://gowerpoint.com) is pretty close to the perfect reader. It's free (lest you want to make a donation) it reads html,.txt,.rtf,.pdb,.prc, and best of all it will read them from within .rar or .zip files without even unzipping them first. It offers variable speed autoscroll and user defined table of contents criteria, plus much much more.

I used to use the ms reader add in in word to convert ebooks to .lit, now I just open them in word, and save them as either plain text or rich text.

I'll give it a try. I'm going to see if I can convert one of the books I have bought (that currently takes 6 minutes to open in MS Reader) to a txt file this evening.

pschultz
08-06-2003, 05:09 PM
A few things just to add to Andy Whiteford comments about Pocket Plus:

1.) I like the idea of changing the way the today screen plug-in works. I like the ability to easily resort the programs by just moving them up or down, but maybe add a "preview" option to see what the icons are going to look like on the today screen. This would save a lot of time compared to having to go all the way back to the today screen to view your changes.

2.) Change the way the close button works. I like the close button in Battery Pack where it brings down the list of open programs, and you can click the X next to the program. In Pocket Plus, you have to go back to the program and then close it. Once again, this saves time.

lkawamot
08-06-2003, 05:41 PM
A plug-in for Transriber to accept a gesture similar to the Newton's "scribble-out" gesture.

On the Newton, if you had a block of stuff that you wanted deleted, all you had to do was to do a few verticle zig-zags (up and down) over the area you wanted deleted and "poof!" the chunk would be gone! I really miss being able to scribble out stuff... draw a line, hold, and then delete is a pain...

Perry Reed
08-06-2003, 05:44 PM
What a fun thread! And so many great replies.

I know some people have already touched on some of these, but let me add...

- Always-on email (a la Blackberry)

- Complete home automation controller. Control not only IR devices, but X10 ones as well (lights, A/C, security system), program your TiVo or DVR or VCR. Even better, receive video feeds back from the TiVo and watch them on the Pocket PC.

- Data-centric ActiveSync. In other words, it should know where I want to "master" different kinds of data. For example, email might be mastered on my email server, contacts might be mastered on my Pocket PC, my calendar might be in Outlook on my desktop, or perhaps on a web calendar service site. And it should understand that I have both personal and work data, each of which might be mastered in a different location. So when I sync, it would be able to connect to all of those different data "hosts" including web sites, servers, my work PC, my home PC, etc.

- A strong note taker/organizer. Maybe something like OneNote on the PC. Something that would let me capture ideas, via text, handwriting, drawing, voice, or even cut-and-paste from other apps, like IE, and organize them for me, allow me to search them later, automatically link them to related items. Perhaps note taker isn't the right name; maybe idea or thought organizer is a better term. I know there have been apps that have tried to do this, but none (in my experience) have been strong enough or easy enough to use.

- A new way to view large amounts of data. Awhile back (and I'm not sure if the link came from this site or not) there was this video about this guy who had a brilliant idea for his PDA. His idea was to help PDA users look at large amounts of data by using the screen as if it were a "peephole" looking at a much larger screen. To scroll around the data, you simply moved the PDA itself, much as if you had a piece of paper with a hole cut in it and held it over another piece of paper with writing on it; and you could move the top paper to see all of the writing on the bottom paper. It, in my view, was an ingenious idea and I'm waiting for some PDA maker to run with it.

tewmgd
08-06-2003, 06:07 PM
My best wish : a newsgroup (usenet) reader. The existing softwares are not updated since 2001 and lack several features. Maybe a sync feature with OE will be perfect.

my2cents

Matthieu

drashkow256
08-06-2003, 06:45 PM
No doubt about the two apps that would make the PPC indispensible in daily life.

1. VSA: Voice Stress Analysis: The voice equivalent to, and in many cases, more acurrate and less invasive than, a polygraph. There is a Windows based program, Truster, that works well. It offers both consumer and professional versions. Port that to XScale! I'll pay.

2. As previously mentioned, real voice recognition, on the device. Like Dragon Naturally Speaking or it's rivals. 8)

aj-uk
08-06-2003, 07:20 PM
The ONLY thing I miss from my Palm days is a good Holiday planner.

Something that shows the year at a glance and shows the number of days you've had off, including half days.

There was a great one of these for PalmOS, not a terribly sophisticated app.

Also if you have to keep track of the holidays of others in your department you can have multiple year planners with those holidays on. Was a great little app!

ctmagnus
08-06-2003, 07:34 PM
A plug-in for Transriber to accept a gesture similar to the Newton's "scribble-out" gesture.

On the Newton, if you had a block of stuff that you wanted deleted, all you had to do was to do a few verticle zig-zags (up and down) over the area you wanted deleted and "poof!" the chunk would be gone! I really miss being able to scribble out stuff... draw a line, hold, and then delete is a pain...

In Transcriber, select the text and draw a quick line from right to left.

DHeckler
08-06-2003, 07:36 PM
Something simple I have always missed is a chm viewer. This shouldnt be hard to program.

I second that.

codepunk
08-06-2003, 07:46 PM
Heya. Lots of interesting ideas here and since I just finished my latest book its back to Pocket PC programming. From the posts I read, these are some of the ones I'm toying with.

1. Script language (would integrate with PowerStart)
2. Outline App (Bonsai was mentioned a few times)
3. Full featured text editor
4. A game. Some game. Not Doom 3 though 8)
5. CHM Viewer. I have many ebooks in CHM format and would love to read them on my PPC. Someone even reverse engineered the file format on the internet and since the compressed data uses LZX compression, its doable.

I'm gonna keep following this thread to get more ideas. At some point maybe I'll tally up the results and post (unless someone else want to do it) to see what the most requested apps are.

-Mark

rony
08-06-2003, 07:57 PM
1. crontab application - running applications, sounds, music - optionally as replacement for show appoitments, to-do with more notification metods (wav, mp3, other program) {crontab is scheduler service in unix OS}

2. launcher today plugin with big icons 2x optionally

3. Stoptime with alarm no only with wav - i need mp3 or run other program at alarm time

4. Agenda software with saveable view and setting profiles

5. automatic switching of more sets of today plugins (suitable with crontab) for best use PDA in work, home, vacation time without manual plugin switching

6. macro tap recorder for making executable macros with series of taping (automation of my work)

7. multilangual keyboard with user defined lexicon or abbreviations (eq. i wrote on keyboard USA and keyboard write United States of America)

8. RSS/XML/RDF today plugin..

9. RSS/XML/RDF aggregator with off-line mirroring all url in feeds (like Avantgo?)

10. _Better_ tool for off-line blogging with Blogger.com, Movable Type..

rony
08-06-2003, 08:14 PM
- Theme switcher program (ie, change it every x minutes)

exist - but switches only in X min/hour/day interval :-/ (i need switch theme and plugin set in my sofistic time plan)

exist.. but no in OS ;-)

Perry Reed
08-06-2003, 08:31 PM
One more thing I left off my initial entry.

- When cradled, act as an "adjunct" to the desktop PC. For example, use as a secondary screen, or for notifications or icon list, or something similar. Also allow as "control pad" to perform activities on the PC. I'm not sure exactly what they would be, or how exactly it would be useful, but suppose Outlook and Messenger or other apps that occasionally pop-up notifications could show them on the Pocket PC screen instead of the main screen. Or the running icons list, usually at the bottom right of the desktop could instead show up on the Pocket PC, or the Media Player controls, or...

Technotaoist
08-06-2003, 09:15 PM
I would like to see the PPc PE do:
1. Secure credit card
2. Secure order placement while in a line at coffee, food and retail.
3. Pay for same items via integrated scanner/debt transactions.
4. Integrates with vehicle: Unlock and start, set prefrences, seats, mirrors, radio presets. The wifes PPC would do the same if her device was recognised rather than mine.
5. Hi-rez digital filming capabilities and ability to stream that to other sources.
6. Real time location with POI, directions to POI integrated with real time traffic conditions.

matsonm
08-06-2003, 09:48 PM
I want a program that will convert my favorite tv programs that I saved on tivo to 320x240 so that I can watch them on the go.

SassKwatch
08-06-2003, 11:46 PM

Pocket Controller does a nice job of that.

Kati Compton
08-07-2003, 12:05 AM

Again, though, it's something I'd like to see come standard WITH the PPC.

ctmagnus
08-07-2003, 01:32 AM

And something that doesn't have the lag that is inherent in controlling a PPC from the desktop.

doctorc
08-07-2003, 01:43 AM
landscape mode that is not buggy and work in ppc 2003

maximus
08-07-2003, 01:45 AM
Ok, I am in a hotel room with a PC, with internet connection. But of course I dont want to pay the very expensive hotel internet fee.

There should be an application that allows me to make the PC think that the PPC (with GPRS card inserted) connected is actually a GPRS modem.
That will be cool. Browsing on a desktop PC, using your PPC as a GPRS modem.

SassKwatch
08-07-2003, 02:07 AM

Agreed there. And FWIW, I'm fairly certain there was a MS freebie that offered some capability of this sort, but wasn't nearly as robust as P Controller.

This thread seems to cover just about everything. I thought the idea starting off was to give 3rd party developers some ideas of things they could do. But it seems to have morphed into just about anything we'd like to see improved on the PPC platform.....a lot of which would have to be initiated in Redmond.

Timothy Rapson
08-07-2003, 02:14 AM
I love all the ideas. The sheet music viewer would be cool. I always thought that one day we would all go into church with our PDAs and a wireless setup would beam all the music and liturgy to our handheld screens. Same with classrooms. Alas, it looks like that will be phone screens rather than PDA screens.

I would pay big money for a floorplan program as mentioned.

flux2k, there is a program like you describe on the Palm called Slap! You just enter what info you want and click on the program it is meant for and Slap! just sends it to the datebook, addressbook or other built-in app.

A program that turns the sound completely off while I am in church (in case I forget, or worse yet in case the PDA "acts out" while I have supposedly told it to shut up. This happened to me last week at church with the Zayo Razor I tried.) or regular meetings and for a set time whenever I ask it.

My Program Request?

I know this is going to sound bizarre, but my favorite desktop software has always been printware. I would love to have a copy of any old Print Shop, or Print Master version from 4-8 years ago on the desktop. I am away from my desktop for 10-12 hours a day and I would love to be able to make up greeting cards, notes, printable calendars, and all those old programs did. When I get home, I could just put it in the cradle and it would automatically ask if I wanted to print out or Email the stuff..... Print, address, and off a birthday card to my brother in Michigan would go.

Yeah, I guess I AM a weirdo. The would probably sell one copy.

Tari Akpodiete
08-07-2003, 03:07 AM
Well, people have made a lot of good suggestions. Still, I'd like to make the observation that many of the ideas might better lend themselves better to third party software development.

As for what Microsoft could do:

1. A more robust, less-problematic ActiveSync. I haven't had any real problems with it, but so many people seem to curse it.

2. The ability to rotate the screen to landscape more, and also, the ability to do it without a soft reset.

3. Better screen resolution than 320x240 as well as the ability to chose from different resolutions, and being able to do so without a reset.

4. The ability to plug in various USB peripherals.

5. Built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth as a standard for OEMs and not an option

6. Minimum 128 meg of ram as a standard for OEMs

I'd take 2 and 3, even if a reset was involved.

And while I know that it's OEM choice, but bring back the very cool 3-button layout of the Casio e100/115/150 series. Can't beat it for gaming. And now that I think about it, that little jog dial was cool too!

rocky_raher
08-07-2003, 03:26 AM
Ok, it's time for a giant brainstorming session! What are some of the applications you'd like to see for the Pocket PC? Throw reality outside the window for a second -
OK, Jason, I'll take you up on that "Throw reality out the window for a second."

1. A universal translator. Not a program where you type an English phrase and the Spanish equivalent is displayed. The kind used on "Enterprise," where you just clip it to your belt, and then you can effortlessly converse with a Frenchman, an Okinawan, or a Klingon without any of them even realizing you're not speaking their language.

2. A phaser. A PDA is about the right size. Of course, it should be "stun" only. It would share a major disadvantage with that Swiss Army knife attachment described a few days ago: You wouldn't be allowed to bring your PDA aboard an airplane.

3. A fully functional Arisian (spelling??) Lens, as described by "Doc" Smith's Lensmen novels.

D.psi
08-07-2003, 03:28 AM
Just thought of another integrated "aware" program :idea: . How about a travel "book"? It would understand its current location(GPS), and would provide descriptions of appropriate historical/tourist/national attractions, pulling them from some local or remote (wireless) storage.

Just imagine walking around in Paris/ Washington/ London/ Ottawa/ Sydney looking at some statue or building, and having a cross-referenced database of historical facts about the statue or building, its significance, and biographies of historical figures involved. The software would also provide detailed instructions to get someplace.

What would be a truly unique application for a PocketPC compared to a desktop or a laptop? As I look at Pocket PCs, it's not just that they can be desktop replacement. Their niche is the ability to take information on the go, and their ability to access the web wirelessly.

Don't get me wrong file viewers, multimedia applications, games, and dumbed/simple version of common apps are great. But these are hardly transformational or unique to the Pocket PC. :?

D.psi
08-07-2003, 03:35 AM
3. A fully functional Arisian (spelling??) Lens, as described by "Doc" Smith's Lensmen novels.

Hate to say it but I think you're dating yourself with that reference :wink:. I would love to see that technology in a desktop package never mind in a Pocket PC. On second thought never mind, I don't want to see it at all :? . Big Brother will really be watching.

D.psi

dh
08-07-2003, 03:36 AM
I agree with the comment made by several people that many of our wish list items are best left to third party developers.

I see Microsoft's role being to provide a good solid basic operating system with all the development tools needed to help the development community produce creative applications.

The more active the developer community the more choice we will have and the stronger the PPC platform will be.

I don't want to fill up my ROM with built in apps I have no interest in using. I want to configure my PPC just as I want it, using a combination of creative freeware and commercial software.

pschultz
08-07-2003, 03:48 AM
Ditto. I don't need landscape mode for everything, just Pocket Internet Explorer.

dh
08-07-2003, 04:02 AM
Ditto. I don't need landscape mode for everything, just Pocket Internet Explorer.
And landscape mode works just fine in apps like Repligo and ubook reader so there is no reason it can't in IE.
I can use my Pocketop driver for landscape, but it's not perfect and it's a pain having to soft reset each time.

pschultz
08-07-2003, 04:03 AM
And landscape mode works just fine in apps like Repligo and ubook reader so there is no reason it can't in IE.
I can use my Pocketop driver for landscape, but it's not perfect and it's a pain having to soft reset each time.
So, the Pocketop driver works in Pocket Internet Explorer for landscape mode?

ceejames
08-07-2003, 04:13 AM
I would like an application creator, something like NeoSoft corporations Neobook or Digital Workshop's Opus, scaled down for the PocketPC and without any scripting required. Like Hypercard was on the early Mac's it would be a "killer" ap to have people buy the unit for just the ability to run that program. I think this is something that would sell a ton of Pocketpcs and give alot of people some creative expression at a minimal learning curve.

The Neobook program is extremely simple and I believe it could be easily scaled down to work on a pocketpc. For those that do not know these are object oriented programing applications where you create a button, set up what you want it to do and then compile into a finished application...Say a simple screen of 6 buttons, labled with your family and pets name. You click on the button and it displays that picture with a fancy transition, tap it again and it goes back to the main button screen.

dh
08-07-2003, 04:36 AM
So, the Pocketop driver works in Pocket Internet Explorer for landscape mode?
Yes, I'm using it now to make sure.
As I mentioned, it's not perfect. I don't like having to reset everytime i change orientation and the toolbars are an odd size. I seem to remember reading there is a tweak to iix this.
You can download for free at www.pocketop.net.

ctmagnus
08-07-2003, 04:38 AM
I'm fairly certain there was a MS freebie that offered some capability of this sort, but wasn't nearly as robust as P Controller.

Remote Display Control, available from here (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/resources/downloads/pocketpc/powertoys.mspx).

jeff
08-07-2003, 06:01 AM
About 10 years ago I had a little handheld thing, made by Franklin and looking exactly like a translator, that had a bunch of baseball statistics on it. It allowed you to do fairly powerful searches on any of the data it included (like most home runs in a season by guys who weighed less than 160 pounds). They don't make them anymore, but I really like to have a Pocket PC program that does just that.

I'm pretty much looking for the data from baseballreference.com or baseball1.com, updated at every sync to include the latest changes, with a nice front end that allows searching. It would be so cool to have that around when I'm at Fenway and someone asks, "Has Garret Anderson ever had an OPS over 900?" I'd be able to tell them, "Absolutely not."

PJE
08-07-2003, 01:41 PM
Hi,

As well as a vote for resetless landscape/portrait switching I'd like a folding text editor...

A folding text editor can perform the function of an outliner and a heirarchical list package, but is MUCH more flexible. Basically different types of fold can be placed inline with the text which can replace sections of text with a summary until it is clicked on...

[Section 1 - Each fold can be named]
[Section 2]
[Section 3]

becomes:

[Section 1 - Each fold can be named]
This is the text in section 2. It can also have it's own folds...
[() Sub-section 2a - Check boxes added to fold for task management]
[() Sub-section 2b]
[() Sub-section 2c]
[Section 3]

Checkout Interspector and ScopeEdit on the PC.

My 2c

SassKwatch
08-07-2003, 02:02 PM
Take a look at TimeTTracker (http://www.rfcons.com/). I *just* ran across this in another thread on the site and dl'd the trial version. While it does have some capabilities you won't need, it appears to be very customizable, and what you don't need/want can be hidden.

Some might consider it a bit pricey, but with desktop and ppc versions inclued in the package...and built in syncing capabilitie, this is starting to look like one I may well wind up forking over the $$ for.

NewKreation
08-07-2003, 02:40 PM
6. macro tap recorder for making executable macros with series of taping (automation of my work)

I agree with rony here...

We need a good macros program for our Pocket PC similar to our desktop/laptops. Something like Quick Macros http://www.quickmacros.com/ would suffice. Simulating key sends, tap/mouse sends, delays, run apps, close apps, if...then loops, text commands, numeric, registry, and string variables with manipulation, play sounds, etc.

I would like to activate the macros using key combinations on the keyboard from any app, or button combinations(such as button 2 AND up on control pad).

These features would be a dream come true.

DHeckler
08-07-2003, 06:31 PM
Just thought of another integrated "aware" program :idea: . How about a travel "book"? It would understand its current location(GPS), and would provide descriptions of appropriate historical/tourist/national attractions, pulling them from some local or remote (wireless) storage.

Just imagine walking around in Paris/ Washington/ London/ Ottawa/ Sydney looking at some statue or building, and having a cross-referenced database of historical facts about the statue or building, its significance, and biographies of historical figures involved. The software would also provide detailed instructions to get someplace.

OK, that just plain makes sense. Someone from Fodor's should be watching this thread. They publish eBook's already, but it wouldn't be too complex and it would enhance all their content tremendously.

Kati Compton
08-07-2003, 08:33 PM

OK, that just plain makes sense. Someone from Fodor's should be watching this thread. They publish eBook's already, but it wouldn't be too complex and it would enhance all their content tremendously.

The "Experience Music Project" museum in Seattle has something like this (though I haven't seen it). You carry a CE device with headphones around and apparently, based on where you are in the museum, brings up the appropriate info.

Here's a PDF that briefly discusses it in the context of the museum:

http://www.emplive.com/visit/press_room/03_tech_fact_sheet.pdf

And another link where you can see it's a Casio device. ;)

http://www.moto.com/portfolio/projects/projects_computers_7.html

Another cool thing is that you can "bookmark" stuff you like while you're there, and read more about those things online when you get home:

http://www.emplive.com/digitalcollection/bookmarks.asp

NuDreamer
08-07-2003, 09:50 PM
lets take Garmin-like device as a base unit (oops this is a pocketPC forum =) I mean a GPS and bluetooth equipped pocketPC.

All you need is a CHEAP vibration sensor which would transmit a signal (a "flag" of any type) to the pocketPC as soon as vibrations cease. Now simply install the vibration sensor into the car and walk around with a pocketPC. The pocketPC would catch the "flag" and note the current GPS coordinates...

With this you can always have a dot on the map showing where you parked. =)

A vibration sensor could probably be switched to a (possibly more involved) motion sensor... Why not something that "connects into the ignition"? so that anyone could install it into their existing car without a hassle. EDIT: CRAP! :) Just remembered that the cigarette adapter turns off when the ignition is off... so the "car-side" of the deal simply has to be a gadget plugging into the cigerette adapter and transmitting the "flag" before turning off... that would be the cheapest =)

For older/less involved folks the software could consist of a single icon - press it and the screen would say: your car is at the intersection of blah and blah. To get there walk down.... etc.

=) What do you guys think? :idea: :D

OR - you can have one of those "learning IR" type radio receivers which attach to your pocketpc. this way when you press "lock" on your keyless remote car entry system (hanging on your keys) the radio receiver would catch that signal too (once pre-matched) and use it as a flag to note current GPS coordinates... sounds more interesting or (?) borderline legal (?) but if implemented in a proper way it can be built into the pocketPC by a manufacturer for an extra "value added" feature... this is more "hardware heavy" by requires zero installations in the car...

Victor B.

petvas
08-08-2003, 12:50 AM
Ok, here is my wish list:

1. An Email Client that supports MAPI, HTTP, IMAP4 and POP3. I would like it to have the capability to read and compose HTML Mail also
2. A Full Office Suite that includes Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, One Note and Infopath
3. An Internet Explorer capable to render any site to the PPC Format with no issues!!!

DHeckler
08-08-2003, 01:12 AM
2. A Full Office Suite that includes Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, One Note and Infopath

I agree with the InfoPath request. Microsoft should have included an Infopath companion for Windows Mobile in the very first release of this key Office application. I know, I know, Infopath is all about the "Rich user experience of a full Windows client application" but Microsoft had an oppurtunity to demonstrate the "rich user experience" of the Windows Mobile platform by developing, at a minimum, a Pocket PC application for filling in existing InfoPath forms - even basic forms would have been good. This MS application will come at some point, but in the meantime, it could definately be a profitable application for a third party developer - especially when you consider all the requests for a "True Pocket Access" in this discussion. An XML-oriented form filling application compatible with Infopath forms (forms created specifically for a 320 by 240 screen) would satisfy much of the demands of some of these folks.

bbarker
08-08-2003, 02:19 AM
I'd like a really nice football game and basketball game. I'd like realistic, real-time play, along with the ability to play against someone on another PPC via IR, WiFi or Bluetooth.

SassKwatch
08-08-2003, 02:49 AM
Pocket HotSpots (http://www.pocketmap.com/hotspots.html) seems like it might be a *start* (but only that) at what you're thinking, no? Or maybe a GPS aware version of Vindigo.(?)

Crystal Eitle
08-08-2003, 02:57 AM
Here's what I want. I would be eternally grateful to whoever can make this a reality.

I want a "Clapper" for my Pocket PC. (No, really!) Something like those keychains that respond with a beep when you clap or whistle. I get a little panicky when I can't find my Pocket PC. I want to be able to clap twice sharply and have my Pocket PC beep in response.

Can anyone do this?

Kati Compton
08-08-2003, 04:37 AM
All you need is a CHEAP vibration sensor which would transmit a signal (a "flag" of any type) to the pocketPC as soon as vibrations cease. Now simply install the vibration sensor into the car and walk around with a pocketPC. The pocketPC would catch the "flag" and note the current GPS coordinates...

Really, you'd just need the ability to set a "bookmark" in your GPS device when you park the car - don't need a sensor in the car. Unless it's stolen... ;)

Huy
08-08-2003, 05:38 AM
Developers /Traders ...we need java based application which could handle live streaming quotes. While we're at it ...how about live streaming charts as well :wink:

maximus
08-08-2003, 01:13 PM
Here's what I want. I would be eternally grateful to whoever can make this a reality.

I want a "Clapper" for my Pocket PC. (No, really!) Something like those keychains that respond with a beep when you clap or whistle. I get a little panicky when I can't find my Pocket PC. I want to be able to clap twice sharply and have my Pocket PC beep in response.

Can anyone do this?

Remember not to bring your PPC into a crowd, or a theatre. :mrgreen:

Bob Anderson
08-08-2003, 02:36 PM
As a manager, I am frustrated at the ways I have to use the tools available to handle employee tracking. Why not have one app that helps me:.......

Excellent idea!

But heck, it's a royal PITA for one person to track their own data *and* put it in a presentable 'this is what I did today' format to be delivered to their boss without jumping through hoops. It doesn't surprise me in the least there isn't the fairly sophistocated 'Human Resources' type app you seem to be suggesting.

It just boggles my mind that as important as productivity is in today's world this continues to be such a source of frustration. It's great for upper exec types to have MS Project for the big picture, but heck, there's an *awful lot* of folks out there that just need a simple way to report.....
- Etc

And then with just a minimal number of mouse/stylus clicks, generate a report from the above detailing those items for a user defined time period....be it daily, weekly, or.........

Well, I'm glad I wasn't the only one out in the world that saw the need for this type of application! It seems so basic - that I can't believe, like you said, that the PPC doesn't have an app like this.

Oh.. and another thought... a Pocket PC version of Personal Knowbase. http://www.bitsmithsoft.com/

maikii
08-08-2003, 06:17 PM
Decent music software!

I already wrote about this in another thread (and there were a few replies), so I'll try to keep it brief here.

By "music software" I don't mean software to play back music ripped from CD, such as WMP or Pocket MVP (although those could use some improvements). I mean software for musicians.

Yes, there are a few such programs out there (Griff, etc.). In trying them out though, I wasn't very impressed. (Perhaps that could partly be due to the fact that the demo versions are so crippled, it's hard to get much of an idea of the program. Programmers take note--you only hurt sales of your product by crippling the demos so much that the users cannot do much with them. Put a 30 day time limit on it, but don't cripple your programs extensively for the demo!)

I'd like to see better quality music programs--including PPC versions of some of the major music software, like Cakewalk, etc.

Dr. Grabow
08-08-2003, 08:03 PM
Another vote here for a really good version of Access - to be able to take my access databases along with me, including their relationships and queries, and seamlessly sync with changes I make, would be PPC nirvana ...

I've got Visual CE but it just doesn't cut it for seamless syncing.

Annik
08-09-2003, 01:23 PM
Being a student I really want a decent calculator on the PDA. So far I haven't found one at the level of my TI -89. Matlab and Mathematica has been mentioned earlier and that would do of course. ;)

Regardless, I want to draw an approximate function in a graph using the stylus and then get a suggested function ploted in the same graph.

The 3 kg of my favourite matehematic and physics formulas would be nice to have in there too.

Let's say I'm at the exam with my mobile/WiFi/bluetooth/IR-gadget filled with programs. (In my dreams.) The supervisors won't leave me alone unless I have a high secure application certified by the university locking all programs but the ones allowed.

stevehiner
08-10-2003, 08:34 PM
But heck, it's a royal PITA for one person to track their own data *and* put it in a presentable 'this is what I did today' format to be delivered to their boss without jumping through hoops.

...snip...

Have you looked at the Time Tracker application available for free at www.asp.net? It is designed for tracking employee time and assigning it to projects. There is a PocketPC version of it for the .NET Compact Framework. It's pretty complicated to set up since it's designed for SQL Server and an ASP.NET web server. I think the PocketPC is supposed to run SQL Server CE.

It's not easy to set up but it comes with source code so you can enhance or modify it to your heart's content.

qmrq
08-11-2003, 02:56 AM
A REAL F'N EMAIL CLIENT! :devilboy:

Indeed. I can't connect to my (secure) email server with my handheld. :(

jkendrick
08-25-2003, 12:32 PM

Excellent idea!

- Etc

Well, I'm glad I wasn't the only one out in the world that saw the need for this type of application! It seems so basic - that I can't believe, like you said, that the PPC doesn't have an app like this.

Oh.. and another thought... a Pocket PC version of Personal Knowbase. http://www.bitsmithsoft.com/

TimeBiller from fannsoftware.com will so just that.

CTSLICK
08-25-2003, 02:06 PM
How about an app that will allow me to customize the recognition strokes for Transcriber?

jamesj53000
08-25-2003, 07:48 PM
Where is the Bluetooth keyboard? Isn't that obvious?

Also, I want Jam Tracks for my ipaq 2215. Devices are usually drum machines, and way too expensive. Mp3's and wavs, aren't easy to loop. So, give me a simple 4/4 drum machine, with some rythum guitar, and a tempo dail. It should cost about $30.00 to $60.00. Yes, I would pay $60.00 for such pleasure.

jkendrick
08-25-2003, 07:52 PM
I desperately need a PPC version of OneNote to access my database and enter new notes on the fly.

D.psi
09-19-2003, 02:25 AM
Yeah... So it took me a while to reply to the replies... Sorry.

Pocket HotSpots seems like it might be a *start* (but only that) at what you're thinking, no? Or maybe a GPS aware version of Vindigo.(?)

I'm not specifically looking for this app myself... I was going from Jason's starting post... his theme... I.e. knowing that we may not be exactly where we want to be, but what "new" breakthrough applications could we dream up? I'm sure we could all dream up software applications that could be performed equally well with a laptop, or desktop: various games, mail clients seem to be popular, better on the go web browsing, etc.. But what would be unique to the PPC?

My examples attempted to link the strong points of the PPC: expandablity, mobility, and computing power.

Having a Wifi linked PPC, with CF GPS, and a mid/low resolution SDIO cam... You have wireless comms, positional information, and the ability to perform image recognition (with appropriate s/w). This brings a number of the possible attributes of the PPC to play. You need some relatively smart s/w and interfacing to the accessories, but you could do some real nifty stuff: localization of the current environment, image recognition of nearby sights (based on vectorized pictures, using edge detectors, etc...), web lookup (through wifi) of significant facts db or pattern match for the vectorized pictures, etc...

Trying to do the same with a palm device would be nearly impossible, unless the processor is much more powerful than I think it is... And as for doing it with a laptop, well there is the bulk issue, and the battery life issue, etc...

D.psi