View Full Version : Web clipping for Pocket PC (like Palm PQAs)

jse75
08-05-2003, 10:43 PM
hi there,

Pardon the dumb question. But I am a recent Palm convert (and I love my ipaq 2215 - much better screen and interface than my old Palm :)

On my Palm i705, I had access to a lot of the internet through "web clippings" or PQAs. I would like to do something similar with my iPaq and a GPRS connection through AT&T or T-Mobile. I know that GPRS is slow overall, so rather than downloading entire web pages, it would be nice to have just the "clippings" for example of flight times, stock quotes, that sort of thing. This would also save a lot on data, since AT&T has such expensive data plans (8mb for $20/mo, for example) and they have better coverage here than T-Mobile...

Is there any software that does web clipping for the Pocket PC? I can't find anything similar. I know about ThunderHawk and Squeezer but they are not quite the same.

Thanks,
Jason

pschultz
08-05-2003, 10:51 PM
I haven't used a Palm in years so I have forgot what webclippings are. Have you tried AvantGo (is that similar to webclippings)?

SHoTTa35
08-06-2003, 12:17 AM
webclippings just strip the site and fit it to the PDA screen.. giving just the important info but since PPC are designed for full browsing then i guess nobody hasn't designed that.

And palms just displayed text since their 8K connection was so bad... or was it 19.2 or something.. GPRS is 70 or 80K or something like that. You can turn off images in pIE so it just downloads text if that'll help but that Squeezer is better for stuff like that. Why don't you just get a data plan for T-mobile and have a voice for ATT. Data on T-mobile is $29.99 for non-subscribers for unlimited data which rocks if you ask me!

jse75
08-06-2003, 01:16 AM
well the problem with pocket IE, or Thunderhawk for that matter, is that it takes too long to download the web pages at GPRS speeds. Although the Palm.net was slow, GPRS ain't exactly quick either - most people are reporting speeds around 30-40kpbs (like modem speeds).

And if I have AT&T for voice and T-Mobile for data, I need to either have two phones, a GPRS card for my ipaq, or switch SIMs out of my phone all the time - none of which are a good option! The GPRS card costs more than a phone and sucks the battery out of the iPaq, and also I'm not sure if it works with WM2003.

Birdman
08-06-2003, 09:31 PM
I used to use a site (program?) called 'PilotScrewDriver" when I had my Palm. You would enter the URL of the web site you wanted into this program and it would deliver the contents of the web site into a doc format suitable for reading on the Palm.

I have long looked for that when I switched to the PPC, and now that I have an XDA, I came across this web site http://216.103.91.135/rfxDM/ppcframe.php which allows you to enter the URL of a web site and it renders the page into a very PPC friendly web page with virtually no side scrolling and it appears to significantly reduce usage, which is great for non-flat rate GPRS users.

Try it out.

Mark_Venture
08-10-2003, 06:11 AM
Which PQAs did you use?

For work I had a RIM 857 with Go.Web, it used PQAs. Since the new version of the custom app we use takes up more memory, we had to get rid of Go.Web so no more PQAs on the go..

Since getting an iPAQ, I was looking for the same. I found most of the sites I visited via PAQs have WAP versions available. see... http://marzano.home.att.net/mobile/ipaq-pqa.htm

jkendrick
08-10-2003, 04:09 PM
well the problem with pocket IE, or Thunderhawk for that matter, is that it takes too long to downl
oad the web pages at GPRS speeds. Although the Palm.net was slow, GPRS ain't exactly quick either - most people are re
porting speeds around 30-40kpbs (like modem speeds).

And if I have AT&T for voice and T-Mobile for data, I need to either have two phones, a GPRS card for my ipaq, or switc
h SIMs out of my phone all the time - none of which are a good option! The GPR
S card costs more than a phone and sucks the battery out of the
iPaq, and also I'm not sure if it works with WM2003.

I use ThunderHawk under Verizon's Express Network and the fast TH servers let me browse at broadband speeds. With an option like this or turning off graphics in PIE there's really no need for web clipping.

Use a mobile portal like evmo if you want to personalize a site.