View Full Version : Porting Games Vs. Scratch Built Games.

Monty Gibson
08-05-2003, 04:23 PM
Just an opinion mind you. But, I know that there is a lot of us who prefer to have a game built from the ground up as it were specifically for the Pocket PC. Maybe perhaps it will gain better graphics, faster processor speeds, etc. However, I don't mind if a company ports a game from a console or the PC to the Pocket PC.

I purchased Links the other day and I could not be more happy with this game. Some things are hard to see, the graphics are more grainy than I desire, but overall it's a great game for my Pocket PC which we all have to remember is still in it's infancy. As far as I am concerned it blows any GameBoy to hell. I would rather buy a ported game that has descent graphics and better game playing qualities (Rogue Spear, Splinter Cell) than to purchase a game that is "made for" the Pocket PC like Hexacto Tennis or Hexacto Soccer (which I do own by the way and have much fun with them).

But I enjoy the gameplay just as much regardless of whether if it's a ported game or not. I don't know if Links was ported per se, but it seems as if it was. If not entirely, then portions of it were (?). That's fine with me. It plays similar to the one on my PC at home and I was thrilled with the release of it. I'd say that if a gaming company would release the ported game of the PC version I'd probably purchase that over any other game that was "specifically built" for the Pocket PC. Wasn't RayMan (sp?) ported? If so then they did and excellent job and although that's not my type of game I'd generally like to play, the graphics are excellent and the game play for a side scrolling game is fun for those who enjoy it. I enjoyed the trial version but again, it's not my genre.

So gaming companies *cough*Microsoft, UbiSoft*cough* port your games! I'd buy them. But then again, I'm just one person.

My two cents...

Chris Pi
08-05-2003, 06:33 PM
I was trying a bunch of the shareware first person shooter pocket pc conversions yesterday like pocket quake and gfdoom. I wasn't too impressed. In Pocket Quake 1 and 2 the control configuration menu was only half visible and gfdoom skipped every time I picked up an object which was annoying :evil:

Monty Gibson
08-05-2003, 06:39 PM
I was trying a bunch of the shareware first person shooter pocket pc conversions yesterday like pocket quake and gfdoom. I wasn't too impressed. In Pocket Quake 1 and 2 the control configuration menu was only half visible and gfdoom skipped every time I picked up an object which was annoying :evil:

Chris,

I tend to agree there. I've played these as well and again was not very happy with them. But these are individuals who do this on their own time. If a big corporation like Microsoft or a smaller PPC gaming company like Hexacto or Z!OSoftware could port games like Links or Splinter Cell and get it close to the original, then I would be happy. I think it's possible.

There would be draw backs of course, PPC Links is not like PC Links, but it's damn close and fun too boot. There is a lot left out but the game play is still excellent. I think if there were more than just one set of hands on a game that's slated to be ported then we would probably see a better end product. Again, just my opinion.

stmfuller
08-05-2003, 07:25 PM
An FPS doesn't work on the PPC. It must be played on a Computer or a Console system with a decent controller setup (read XBOX :mrgreen: )
I think tomb raider for ppc MIGHT work. The portable version looks pretty good.

Personally, I'm much more happy playing 8-bit NES games with PocketNester

Monty Gibson
08-05-2003, 07:37 PM
An FPS doesn't work on the PPC. It must be played on a Computer or a Console system with a decent controller setup (read XBOX :mrgreen: )
I think tomb raider for ppc MIGHT work. The portable version looks pretty good.

Personally, I'm much more happy playing 8-bit NES games with PocketNester

:duh: FPS? What does that mean? Sorry, I don't understand the definition of that acronym. I know FPS as "Frames Per Second" :).

Again, :duh: don't you have to have the games to play with PocketNester? I mean, physically own the games or are they being made available somewhere? A link would be most appreciated.

stmfuller
08-05-2003, 07:48 PM
sorry...normally post on Gaming websites
FPS = First Person Shooter

And yes, there is a question about the legality of playing Roms using an Emulator. I do believe that you must OWN the games for it to be legal.
Of course I've also heard that Ripping a game cartridge is completely illegal.

In light of that, I would ask for a port of the older 8-bit NES games.
Such as Mario Bros 123 and the like.

Sorry for the confusion