View Full Version : Serious limitation in PocketPC platform? (expert opinion needed)

Sebastian
08-05-2003, 12:39 PM
I have the following need that I would imagine is fairly common:

I use one (exchage server) email account for my work email, and another POP3 email account for my personal email. I have each of the two accounts set up as a a separate profile in Outlook 2002 (I want to make sure that mail sent from each account goes out via the proper outbound mail server, etc.).

One other detail: my exchange server is behind a firewall that I must use a VPN client to access from my PC.

NOW, is there some convenient way for me to use a pocket pc device to sync to BOTH of my email inboxes using the 2 different profiles? I have an IPAQ 2215 and am almost ready to return it as I don't see how to use this effectively. Ideally I'd like to be able to wirelessly download my mail to the IPAQ from both accounts; it would be tolerable to do it from my work email through my machine (as in syncing to it remotely after it had been left on downloading my work email).

Thanks much for any experts thoughts on this.

Sebastian

dh
08-05-2003, 01:11 PM
I've never used the Inbox program that comes with the PPC, but I think you can do what you want in WebIS Mail.

I use this to sync 3 e-mail accounts and it works fine. The only thing you would need to check is that WebIS Mail can be set up to access your exchange server.

My company does not provide access to devices other than the laptops they provide, so when I'm traveling I forward my mail to a POP account and get it that way.

Check out webIS Mail at www.pocketinformant.com

sting0r
08-05-2003, 03:51 PM
WebIS mail doesn't support PPC2003 yet and actually runs as an enhancement to the standard inbox... I actually use npop and that works great, but you need your exchange server to be able to do pop mail I believe. You may want to setup your work email on the inbox and you personal email on npop. It's freeware so give it a shot....

Sebastian
08-05-2003, 04:04 PM
When you say you can sync 3 email accounts, does that mean it can sync all 3 to the PC, or just that it can download 3 accounts from POP3 or something? I need to be able to do both...

Thanks.

Ed Hansberry
08-05-2003, 04:23 PM
Just set up a separate email service for each account on the Pocket PC. I currently check email with my 2215 with three different accounts. You can tell it which email acct. to use when you send.