View Full Version : Dissatisfied with Wireless setup on current PocketPCs

kevinkar
08-04-2003, 04:45 PM
Hi,

I recently bought a Toshiba e755 which was ok but a pain to connect to my wireless network at home. I don't understand why the configuration screens have to be so esoteric and unintuitive.

Then I decided to get the PocketPC 2003 upgrade and ordered it from Microsoft. I installed it immediately and of course noticed the difference in the set up screens right away. Much to my dismay, the screens were still not as simple as I had hoped and there was still that useless choice between Work and My ISP or The Internet.

What difference does it make? I want to turn on the WiFi, enter in the SSID and WEP key of my router and connect. PERIOD. What's so hard about that? My PC does it with a wireless PCI card, why not the PocketPC?

Anyway, I finally saw some website that said to set the Networks all to My ISP and that finally got the device to connect (even though the signal indicator was at full strength and the connectivity icon showed a good connection) to the network.

Then I had some problems with some software so I performed a hard reset and went about reinstalling software and configuring the network and I followed my written down process but IT WOULDN'T CONNECT! Grrrrr! No matter what I did, it would connect to my router, get a good signal, obtain an IP address but nothing would connect. No mail, no IE, no FTP, nothing.

So I restored from a backup and decided to wait a while before continuing with a full reload.

Regardless, this WiFi/Connections configuration in the PPC is madenning! Comparing it to a PC is a bit off, but on my Jornada 720 with a Belkin CF 802.11b card, it works without a hitch. SSID, WEP Key, turn radio on and bam! Connected. Why does this have to be so difficult?

I wish they would stop attempting to make it "easier" and instead make it work.

Grrrrr!