View Full Version : Want to read text files with different extension than txt

3mike
08-04-2003, 12:50 PM
Can I get PPC2002 to read text files if they have an extension other than .txt?

SHoTTa35
08-04-2003, 02:23 PM
well what text files are they? It would help if we knew that

3mike
08-04-2003, 05:38 PM
Well, most of them are source files in the SAS language that I wanted to carry around for reference, they are text files in the sense that if renamed to .txt, they could be read. Of course they would not display as nicely as in the original language's program editor, which understands the syntax, but that's OK. I suppose I could break down and rename them, they curently exist in a directory tree I copied onto my SD card.

I was also thinking of zipping them, assuming one could access them from within a zip archive. Maybe that would take a particular zip product. However, zipping is secondary.

mcasanova
08-06-2003, 03:12 PM
There's application called PocketNotepad from www.tillanosoft.com that opens any text file. The only problem is that it has only two option *.txt or *.* files in the search criteria. So maybe you should consider to create a dedicated directory for you files and perform *.* only in that directory

davidspalding
08-07-2003, 04:04 AM
You can hand code a new tile type into the PPC registry ... if you're skilled at editing your registry.

Look in there for the .txt key ... it will point to the "textfile" (I think) key. Just create a new key like the .txt one, in the extension that you want to read like a text file. Backup your registry before you do this.... ;)

I do this on all my systems for .not files which open in Notepad, rather than .txt files which open in PFE32. Have done this since the days of Win3.1. Works nify.

3mike
08-10-2003, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the good suggestions. I will try them both.