View Full Version : Mobile phone review

William Yeung
08-04-2003, 05:22 AM
I am planning to change my mobile phone for my GPRS plan (currently seems my T39 + Bluetooth is not so stable) any good website provides good indepth review for these mobiles?

maximus
08-04-2003, 07:13 AM
here (http://smartphonethoughts.com)

William Yeung
08-04-2003, 07:22 AM
I think I want to have a phone review, not MS Smartphone website...

dh
08-04-2003, 01:02 PM
I find the best cellphone site to be www.howardforums.com

There is also a lot of information at www.phonescoop.com

pdaided
08-04-2003, 02:24 PM
After a long search myself, I recommend the ericsson t616. I have had it for two weeks and love it. Connects to my ipaq 2215 with no problems. Also has great voice commands for easy operation, great 65,000 color screen and integrated camera. Many other features I haven't even used yet.
Vaja is about to release an ivolution case for it too. Whoopy!

pdaided

Janak Parekh
08-04-2003, 08:34 PM
I also highly recommend the sites dh mentions. Also, if you have specific questions, feel free to ask here; many of us have used a broad array of phones. :)

--janak

brandon
08-06-2003, 08:07 AM
i just purchased a t616. you probably already know this (i am new to the GSM/GPRS world since coming from sprint) but i can use the phone as a modem via bluetooth in two ways:

1. as a GSM modem where i actually call a dial-up ISP from my ipaq and the connection uses my minutes as if i dialed from the phone itself, fastest connection i can get, according to cingular, is 14.4

2. as a GPRS modem where i make a data connection to the t616 and it in turn uses the phones internet connection. this type of connection does not use my minutes from my plan, however, it does use pull from my MB allotment from the additional data service i added to my plan. fastest connection according to cingular is 56k

the battery life of the phone beats all other phones ive had (nokias, samsungs, motorolas, and sanyos)

it supports two phone lines

so far, i use the phone as a modem with my ipaq and my laptop. i have transfered files (pictures taken from the phone) via bluetooth and IR to/from the ipaq

the only thing that i cant get to work so far is dialing a number from the ipaq's contact list. although they are paired and i can perform other connections, the phone doesnt see the ipaq sending a number to dial (but it dials my ISP when i use as a modem -- go figure)

so far, its the best phone ive had.

-b

TopDog
08-06-2003, 08:22 AM
If you don't care about the camera and don't need so many colors, the Siemens S55 (I think it's called S56 is US?) is a cheaper and great option.

I've jused it for a while now, and the bluetooth is working excelent (GSM/GPRS/headsets/filetransfer). The screen has 256 colors, which is enough for me. You can buy a camera as a plugin, but it's not really that good. (I don't have the camera myself).

And the coverage and soundquality is excelent!

phrekysht
03-07-2004, 05:13 AM
I recently got myself a nice shiny new T616 as well, however im having problems getting it to dial from my iPaq 3955. Im not using bluetooth, until i have the money to buy a bluetooth CF card, im sticking with IRDA. Anyone know of any walkthroughs on how to set this up? Using the connection panel under Settings on the ipaq, the phone will start to dial the number i requested, but wont completely connect. It flashes the "calling...." screen and then immediatly takes it away, no call made, nothing. Any help? thanks in advance.

**edit: also thought i should mention im trying to dial up using GSM, not GPRS

tanalasta
03-07-2004, 06:26 AM
My favourite mobile review site is:
www.imobile.com.au

It is an Australian website that provides detailed and very well written objective reviews of most mobile phones on the market. Certainly worth looking at.

foldedspace
03-07-2004, 03:56 PM
Howard Forums is the best, but another source is:

http://www.mobileburn.com