View Full Version : AvantGo won't work - stuck on "Updating Device Configuration"

famousdavis
08-03-2003, 12:16 AM
I can't get AvantGo to sync with my HP1910. For months, it's worked just fine, then on Friday morning (Aug 1), I couldn't sync with AvantGo -- it was like it couldn't connect. I tried opening my desktop browser to AvantGo and nothing came up when I clicked to get to my account info. I had the same experience from my work PC hours later, so I assumed that the site was down. Later on Friday, I could connect to AvantGo's website, so I thought the problem was over. Wrong!

Since last night, I have been unsuccessful at synch'ing with AvantGo. I can connect to their server -- the autodetection set-up confirms that -- and uninstalling/reinstalling the AvantGo client hasn't helped.

Precisely, the problem occurs after the initial communication is made. I get this message: "Updating Device Configuration" in ActiveSync (v3.6) and it shows a count: "1/2", then in a moment or two, it increments, "2/2" and then I very briefly see the message, "Connection Successful." But then the whole thing repeats itself in an endless loop!

I tried restoring my HP1910 to the July 31 backup -- when I last was able to connect successfully -- and that didn't resolve matters. I got the same error.

I'm thinking it's an AvantGo problem, and here's why: I have no synch history that displays on my account when I'm logged into AvantGo's website. Nothing appears, it's as if I've never synched before and so I have no history!

Am I an isolated case here, or are others having recent problems with AvantGo?

I did log a support ticket with AvantGo, but they say it'll be 3-5 business days for a reply! GRRRRRR!!!

Help or suggestions anyone?

Thanks!

pschultz
08-03-2003, 02:15 AM
Please post what is in your syncronization history on the AvantGo website. It is under AvantGo Software on the My Account tab.

Ed Hansberry
08-03-2003, 02:17 AM
Go to your Avantgo account on the internet and purge the cache and tell it to resync everything. Then give it a day or so. That will probably fix it.

SHoTTa35
08-03-2003, 02:33 AM
mine wasn't working for a lil while but it's all good and golden now...

famousdavis
08-03-2003, 02:37 AM
pshultz -- I have NO synchronization history listed on AvantGo's website. Nada! It's just a blank screen. That's what's making me wonder if there is something screwed up with my account on AvantGo's website...

Ed -- After I uninstalled/reinstalled AvantGo's client software, I did go to the My Account under Advanced Controls and I cleared everthing -- channel cache, cookies, authentication info. Still the same problem!

I'm guessing that mine is an isolated case, but did anyone else have a problem synching with AvantGo on Friday morning, August 1?

Ed Hansberry
08-03-2003, 03:17 AM
Ed -- After I uninstalled/reinstalled AvantGo's client software, I did go to the My Account under Advanced Controls and I cleared everthing -- channel cache, cookies, authentication info. Still the same problem!
What did you install? Avantgo is built into PIE on your device. I never install any additional Avantgo software from their site. I ran into problems about 3 years ago with Pocket PC 2000 and Avantgo's "enhanced" software. I'd advise you uninstall it and then try to sync.

Dave Beauvais
08-03-2003, 06:29 AM
What did you install? Avantgo is built into PIE on your device. I never install any additional Avantgo software from their site. ...
I always install the latest build from their site because it enables the "Connect to this server securely" option. The build that's part of the Pocket PC 2002 ROM has this checkbox but it's grayed out and cannot be checked. Aside from that change, I have no idea what differences there are.

--Dave

ChristopherTD
08-03-2003, 08:04 AM
This "Updating Device Configuration" loop has been happening to me as well. I haven't been able to trick or frighten it back into life either.

piperpilot
08-03-2003, 12:37 PM
This happened to me a couple of months ago and it caused the WLAN application on my iPAQ 5455 to malfunction. Despite soft resets and other interventions, I had to do a hard reset to fix the problem. Not fun!

Ed Hansberry
08-03-2003, 02:13 PM
What did you install? Avantgo is built into PIE on your device. I never install any additional Avantgo software from their site. ...
I always install the latest build from their site because it enables the "Connect to this server securely" option. The build that's part of the Pocket PC 2002 ROM has this checkbox but it's grayed out and cannot be checked. Aside from that change, I have no idea what differences there are.
I can see that if you have an Avantgo server at your office and need to get data securely. But anything from Avantgo directly? Those secret CNET News broadcasts? :wink:

Wallet Boy
08-04-2003, 03:38 AM
I'm having the same trouble. I've cleared out the Avantgo profiles in both Activesync and on my handheld then reconfigured the profile via the Avantgo website and I still get stuck in a "Updated Profile" loop. At first I thought it might have been an Activesync error, but then I connected directly to the internet using my bluetooth lan (bypassing Activesync) and tried to sync from the Avantgo client and it gets stuck at the same point.

It seems to be an Avantgo problem since at least three people here using (I'd think) different hardware are having the same issues.

At least I'm not alone!

Dave Beauvais
08-04-2003, 04:03 AM
See if you have the same problem when syncing using the AvantGo client on the Pocket PC itself, not with ActiveSync. Establish a connection with ActiveSync so you can use the Internet passthrough feature. In ActiveSync on the PC, uncheck AvantGo in the ActiveSync options. (Tools menu, Options) On the Pocket PC, go to Start, Settings, Connections tab, AvantGo Connect. Make sure the properties for your "My AvantGo" server settings are correct. Most people have only a single server listed, though it's possible you might have more than that. If you do, make sure the others are actually needed. Often after reinstalling the AvantGo client, you'll end up with duplicate server entries which do nothing more than double the amount of time required to sync. Select the server and tap Properties...[list:d9fd0d2206] Typically, the server will be sync.avantgo.com using port 80. Make sure that "Connect to this server" and "Refresh all content at next sync" are checked. Tap OK then tap "Sync all."[/list:u:d9fd0d2206]Let us know if you have the same problem.

--Dave

ekconrad
08-04-2003, 04:22 AM
See if you have the same problem when syncing using the AvantGo client on the Pocket PC itself, not with ActiveSync. Establish a connection with ActiveSync so you can use the Internet passthrough feature. In ActiveSync on the PC, uncheck AvantGo in the ActiveSync options. (Tools menu, Options) On the Pocket PC, go to Start, Settings, Connections tab, AvantGo Connect. Make sure the properties for your "My AvantGo" server settings are correct. Most people have only a single server listed, though it's possible you might have more than that. If you do, make sure the others are actually needed. Often after reinstalling the AvantGo client, you'll end up with duplicate server entries which do nothing more than double the amount of time required to sync. Select the server and tap Properties...[list:840c9cad04] Typically, the server will be sync.avantgo.com using port 80. Make sure that "Connect to this server" and "Refresh all content at next sync" are checked. Tap OK then tap "Sync all."[/list:u:840c9cad04]Let us know if you have the same problem.

--Dave

Tried that and still have same problem myself. Since so many people having the same problem, could it be Avantgo? :?:

Wallet Boy
08-04-2003, 04:23 AM
I get the same error when doing it that way as well. Here is what happens . . .

Connecting to network > Connection successful > Updating device configuration.

Repeat that five or six times before Avantgo times out and that's whats going on. The same error if I'm using Activesync or the Avantgo client on the PPC.

Wallet Boy
08-04-2003, 04:28 AM
Well I decided to do a hard reset of my device just to see if Avantgo would sync, and it does! Well that means it something, software or otherwise that's keeping it from syncing. I haven't added or changed anything since my last backup so I wonder what the trigger is?

Dave Beauvais
08-04-2003, 04:31 AM
Wow, that's really bizarre. I've never had that happen before on any of my Pocket PCs. Syncing has always worked just fine for me. I wish I could help!

Added since initial post: I just thought of something else you could try on the Pocket PC itself. On the AvantGo page on your Pocket PC, tap the "Tools" link near the bottom. Tap Channel Manager, check all the boxes, and tap the Clear button. Try syncing again.

I wonder if it has anything to do with some of the AvantGo channels you have. I've got only a few: AccuWeather.com CNN New York Times Wes Salmon's Blog (http://www.wessalmon.com/) Yahoo!That's it. Maybe you guys could post your channels and see if perhaps there is anything in common?

--Dave

ChristopherTD
08-04-2003, 09:04 AM
I have tried connecting from the Pocket PC with it connected directly via CompactFlash modem.

I have removed all my subscriptions.

I have cleared the caches using the "Advanced Tools" on the AvantGo site.

I can't clear the channels on the PocketPC because there is no AvantGo content.

But it still is stuck, so there is something wrong with my configuration, but I am not up for the hard reset cure!

famousdavis
08-04-2003, 06:32 PM
Well, this is what I've surmised from this thread:

1) The problem is not isolated, but neither is it system-wide
2) The problem appears to have been caused, directly or indirectly, by AvantGo
3) No one has a sure-fire way of correcting this problem except to do a hard reset -- an option I am not interested in taking!

I did get a canned response from AvantGo's technical support -- I'll try both their solution and the solution Dave suggested when I get home tonight. Here's what AvantGo said in their email to me:

Dear William,

Thanks for contacting AvantGo Support!

As you noticed, we experienced a brief service outage. All has been corrected, so please try syncing again or logging into our service. If you continue to experience problems or have any other questions, please let us know.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. To make sure that AvantGo Connect is properly configured, please do the following:

1. Log in to your AvantGo account on our Web site at https://my.avantgo.com
2. Click on My Account
3. Select Software Configuration
4. Configure AvantGo Connect/Mobile Link and click Next
5. Select the device you would like to connect and click Next
6. Select 'Replace the existing server profile(s) at this address and port.' andclick Next
7. Press Next to test your network connection

When the test is complete, select 'Show Details'. Copy the entire error message, and send it to us for trouble shooting. Select Done, then Finish and try syncing again.

Wallet Boy
08-04-2003, 10:20 PM
Okay, now this is odd. It's working again for me. This morning when I sync'd Avantgo failed (approx 7:30am EST), now at 5:19pm it sync'd perfectly. Very odd, indeed. Looks like, at least for me, that Avantgo fixed whatever problem they were having.

Johan
08-04-2003, 10:42 PM
I had the same problem, Avantgo must have ****** something up with some accounts. No matter the hardresets, clearing caches on the Avantgo pages, no way to get my account to sync (have worked before for years!). Only thing to do was to setup a new account on the Avango page and input the new account and password into activesync, whammo worked first sync. :evil:

Ps. I never downloaded the software since it's loaded on the device already when setting up the new account.

{admin edit - keep the language PG rated please.}

famousdavis
08-05-2003, 01:34 AM
Okay, I agree, AvantGo apparently fixed whatever it was that they screwed up on Friday. As of 8:30pm on Monday night, I was able to sync using the procedures I posted in my earlier post which was taken from AvantGo's tech support.

I also can see today's synchronization history, which was rather enlightening. It showed that several channels had hit a max size exceeded threshold (or something like that). I know now to bump up the space allocation for those channels.

Perhaps the problem was related to a specific channel, perhaps not. It's noteworthy that there is no sync history on my account prior to the sync that I just successfully made with AvantGo.

Thanks to all who posted on this thread -- it restrained me enough not to try something drastic like a hard reset, knowing that others out there had the same problem as what I had.