View Full Version : Hey Maximus......

dh
08-02-2003, 01:43 AM
My wife and daughter have gone to Vernont for the weekend so I'm amusing myself watching Phillies baseball on TV.

What sports do you guys in Singapore watch?

Who else thinks that baseball umpires are the nastiest, most unpleasant, overweight people on the planet?

edit - I forgot to mention, these morons are blind as well.

Janak Parekh
08-02-2003, 07:23 AM
Who else thinks that baseball umpires are the nastiest, most unpleasant, overweight people on the planet?
You're being a little tough on them, aren'tcha? Some of them are, presumably, but some of them seem to be pretty decent. Umps aren't there to be "nice"; they're there to be tough and to enforce the rules.

"Oh, I'm sorry -- I know you thought it was a strike, but it wasn't" just doesn't sound appropriate to me. ;)

--janak

maximus
08-02-2003, 09:43 AM
My wife and daughter have gone to Vernont for the weekend so I'm amusing myself watching Phillies baseball on TV.

What sports do you guys in Singapore watch?

edit - I forgot to mention, these morons are blind as well.

Baseball what ? :wink:

Singaporean prefers basketball, soccer, badminton, tennis ...

Talking about baseball, it is very hot in korea and japan.
I heard that a top baseball player in japan can earn 10+ million$ annually. And that is excluding his payment from commercials, ads, etc.

dh
08-02-2003, 12:12 PM
You're being a little tough on them, aren'tcha? Some of them are, presumably, but some of them seem to be pretty decent. Umps aren't there to be "nice"; they're there to be tough and to enforce the rules.

"Oh, I'm sorry -- I know you thought it was a strike, but it wasn't" just doesn't sound appropriate to me. ;)

--janak
Janak, what's with your Yankees hireing Benitez? George decided to help out the Red Soxs?

dh
08-02-2003, 12:16 PM
Baseball what ? :wink:

Singaporean prefers basketball, soccer, badminton, tennis ...

Talking about baseball, it is very hot in korea and japan.
I heard that a top baseball player in japan can earn 10+ million$ annually. And that is excluding his payment from commercials, ads, etc.

Manchester United are playing here in Philly this weekend. I didn't get tickets because I was going out of town. Now I'm here instead and no tickets are to be had.

This is the first event in the new stadium that the Philadelphia Eagles have built so it would have been cool to go.

maximus
08-02-2003, 04:27 PM
Ah, I just remember. Actually there is one more sport that singaporeans (female and male alike) like very much. In fact, this sport is the national sport of singapore.

The sport is called .... SHOPPING. he he heh.

I voted singapore as the shopping capital of asia. Hongkong comes second. The orchard road is always bustling with people carrying shopping stuffs ... no other sport is exercised by so many people in singapore. :D

dh : how come you are not accompanying your wife to vernont (vermont?) ?

maximus
08-02-2003, 04:32 PM
--janak

Yeah, the problem with baseball is that ... it is a very subjective game. very highly dependant to the umpire's decision, not good. An umpire can go randomly between strike and ball .. and noone can do anything about it.

Janak Parekh
08-02-2003, 06:32 PM
Janak, what's with your Yankees hireing Benitez? George decided to help out the Red Soxs?
My response? :pukeface: I've been watching him for years with the Mets. He is one very very streaky pitcher, which doesn't bode well for effective late-inning relief. When he's good, he's very good, but when he's bad, watch out. So, yes, I agree that George decided to give the Red Sox a holiday.

I read in an NYT article that the trade for Benitez was vetoed by Cashman, but he was overruled. Not sure about Torre, although I think he generally sides with Cashman and I can't imagine he'd want to deal with him.

Benitez again ran into trouble last night, BTW. :roll:

--janak

Janak Parekh
08-02-2003, 06:33 PM
Yeah, the problem with baseball is that ... it is a very subjective game. very highly dependant to the umpire's decision, not good. An umpire can go randomly between strike and ball .. and noone can do anything about it.
It's not that bad. That's an integral part of the game for 100 years, and it's largely worked. People have said that baseball is about living on the edge of the strike zone. ;)

--janak

dh
08-02-2003, 08:16 PM
Benitez again ran into trouble last night, BTW. :roll:
--janak

Yes I heard he screwed up again yesterday. Actually it's a shame, he seems to be really good physically but mentally loses it when he's in a tough situation. There will be plenty of tough situations between now and the end of the season.

It's not that bad. That's an integral part of the game for 100 years, and it's largely worked. People have said that baseball is about living on the edge of the strike zone. ;)

--janak

And baseball is the closest thing we have here to cricket which has the same issues with some of the LBW decisions. Of course cricket umpires are usually a bit more polite about things. :D

dh
08-02-2003, 10:01 PM
Ah, I just remember. Actually there is one more sport that singaporeans (female and male alike) like very much. In fact, this sport is the national sport of singapore.

The sport is called .... SHOPPING. he he heh.

I voted singapore as the shopping capital of asia. Hongkong comes second. The orchard road is always bustling with people carrying shopping stuffs ... no other sport is exercised by so many people in singapore. :D

dh : how come you are not accompanying your wife to vernont (vermont?) ?

I guess my wife must be from Singapore, she is a champion at shopping,

I didn't go with her this time because she left Thursday and I had to go to a meeting in Baltimore on Friday.

maximus
08-03-2003, 04:47 AM
And baseball is the closest thing we have here to cricket which has the same issues with some of the LBW decisions. Of course cricket umpires are usually a bit more polite about things. :D

Ah cricket. I love that game. Too bad it is not very popular in my part of the world.

Jeff Rutledge
08-03-2003, 04:51 AM
I tell you, I have tried to get into baseball and I just can't do it.

How long until hockey starts up again???

:multi:

maximus
08-03-2003, 04:54 AM
I guess my wife must be from Singapore, she is a champion at shopping

In that case, all women are from singapore. ha ha ha. just kidding.
Anyway, shopping used to be a boring experience, before I met my axim. :D since then, shopping became a tolerable experience.

'Honey, do you mind if I go to this one and get my hair treated?'
'Sure hon' ... get the axim out, start playing argentum...

'Honey, how about some manicure?'
'Sure hon' ... and goes on with warring states ...

Janak Parekh
08-03-2003, 04:56 AM
I tell you, I have tried to get into baseball and I just can't do it.
You're not obligated to, you know. ;) Baseball is very much a "rules and stats" kind of game -- more planning and less action -- unless you watch Baseball Tonight, which shows just highlights. If you know and like the strategies that pitchers, managers, and even hitters use, it then becomes a lot more interesting than just sitting around waiting for the pitcher to deliver the ball.

Maximus: that is perhaps one of the greatest assets about a Pocket PC, ain't it? Forget all the work, it's the ability to not be utterly bored while standing in line/waiting for shopper/etc.

--janak

maximus
08-03-2003, 05:01 AM
Maximus: that is perhaps one of the greatest assets about a Pocket PC, ain't it? Forget all the work, it's the ability to not be utterly bored while standing in line/waiting for shopper/etc.
--janak

Exactly. To me, it is 80% entertainment device, 18% mobility device (GPRS+wifi), and 2% work related (contact+appointment).

One other use that I consider very important is .... to transfer pictures from SD card. When I was on the road, taking pictures with my Xi, got that 64KB SD full ... time to move it to the 5GB toshiba attached to the CF slot. Hence I only need one 64KB for daily picture taking...

hollis_f
08-03-2003, 05:44 AM

Ah cricket. I love that game. Too bad it is not very popular in my part of the world.
Er - as an Englishman I'd prefer it if we didn't mention cricket just now (especially no mentions of test matches where South Africa are humiliating England).