View Full Version : Does anyone else keep going back to the built-in PIM apps?

mar2k
08-01-2003, 08:54 PM
I keep trying uber-PIM solutions like Agenda Fusion and Pocket Informant but find myself going back to the built-in apps every time. I really want to find the extra features useful but the simplicity of the built-in Pocket Outlook apps wins every time.

Is there a killer feature that I am missing? Maybe I don't have a busy enough schedule to find these apps useful enough. I own AF 4 and wonder about upgrading to AF 5 - I do like the interface better but last night I installed it altogether and think I'm going to stick with the built-in apps for a while.

ux4484
08-01-2003, 09:19 PM
uber features seem to give uber preformance hits to ppc's (IMO) when it comes to PIM's....or should I say performance of PIM hits.

I stick with the included PIM for almost that reason alone......well that and the fact I can't get DateBk for PPC.

Don't get me wrong, I REALLY like my Axim, and PPC works for me (now at 400MHz).....it's just that the thing I mainly use my PDA for (PIM) is slower (even with the built in PIM) than my Visor was with DateBk running at a measly 16Mhz (with little difference in PIM functionality for how I use it). Try as I have the PIM add on's and enhancements, I can't tolerate them being noticably slower than the (already slow) built in apps. Some of my gripes in this area have been reportedly fixed/tweaked in WM2003, but I won't find out until Dell finally ships it.

drop
08-01-2003, 09:48 PM
Pocket Outlook? <shudder> No. I have forgotten about it. Even my buttons are mapped to AF Agenda, AF Contact, etc.

Jimmy Dodd
08-01-2003, 10:02 PM
I know what you mean. I have used PI for a couple of years now (I keep upgrading) but every few months I get burnt out on all the eye-candy and go back to plain old vanilla Pocket Outlook for a while. I'm hardly a power user, and the only thing I use PI for is the Calendar and Contacts (I have my own task software modeled on the Franklin Covey system). If I could use just the calendering aspect without loading up all the other features (and thereby reduce the footprint and speed it up) I would do so.

griph
08-01-2003, 10:03 PM
I keep trying uber-PIM solutions like Agenda Fusion and Pocket Informant but find myself going back to the built-in apps every time. I really want to find the extra features useful but the simplicity of the built-in Pocket Outlook apps wins every time.

Is there a killer feature that I am missing? Maybe I don't have a busy enough schedule to find these apps useful enough. I own AF 4 and wonder about upgrading to AF 5 - I do like the interface better but last night I installed it altogether and think I'm going to stick with the built-in apps for a while.

The Built in PIM? 8O Horrible, Horrible!! - almost as bad as the awful built in Explorer - when are MS going to wake up and fit PI and Resco Explorer in Rom instead of their own basic alternatives!
I could NOT do without Pocket Informant 4 (or 3 or 2 before it). The built in PIM does not do it for me, PI is set on my PC to take over ALL PIM functions and the built in features are excellent (and I still haven't looked at the Manual! - the app is THAT good).

Covert
08-01-2003, 11:38 PM
I've never had a problem with the default PIM programs. ;)

rpommier
08-02-2003, 01:13 AM
I used the basic PIM along with tAgenda for awhile. The only reason I bought PI was for the alarm notes BugMe is like $24 and so is PI.

I really hate giving up program memory for any app. PI is still not as fast as the built in apps and probably never will be. I live with it though, I like the alarm notes.

Rod

bdavidson9554
08-02-2003, 03:53 AM

I go through the same cycles and keep thinking that maybe the new release of <insert your uber-PIM here> will convert me for good.

Usually, I realize that they're not helping me out any because I still need to sync to Outlook on the desktop and the benefits of these new features often do not sync over to the desktop.

Nowadays, I try to focus on using my built-in calendar and tasks list more effectively. I can do without color coding my calendar, or adding icons to every entry, or building a hierarchy of my tasks with so many different priority choices that none of them ever get done.

The built-in apps aren't flashy or even graceful, but they are reasonably fast and help me focus my thoughts on my data, not my apps.

B

jkendrick
08-02-2003, 04:01 AM
I use PI 4 because I have 3700+ contacts and a full schedule every day. The ability to link one item to another saves me so much time and trouble every day I couldn't go back.

Brad Adrian
08-02-2003, 04:32 AM
Call me goofy, but I rely completely on the built-in PIMs. I know that there are lots of pretty ways to display my information, but it all seems like eye candy to me.

Aside from the many views and icons that can be set up, what are the specific FUNCTIONS that make you want to use apps like Pocket Informant?

Jeff Rutledge
08-02-2003, 04:49 AM
Call me goofy, but I rely completely on the built-in PIMs. I know that there are lots of pretty ways to display my information, but it all seems like eye candy to me.

Aside from the many views and icons that can be set up, what are the specific FUNCTIONS that make you want to use apps like Pocket Informant?

I'm a huge PI fan and there are a lot of functions that will ensure I'll NEVER go back to the built in PIM's. If I could remove them from ROM, I would.

Some that jump out at me (off the top of my head):

1. The ability to see Appointments and Tasks for a day together.
2. A Month View that actually gives me something worth viewing.
3. Task Hierarchy's
4. Task Grouping
5. Contact Grouping
6. Change a tasks date in one step (tap the start or due date and the date picker
7. Ditto Task Importance
8. Task Priorities (A1-Z99)
9. Powerful searching
10. Increased filtering abilities

I could probably go on and on, but I imagine Mark Penn will stop by and finish it off. :lol:

In short, I think it's about flexibility and flow. The built in PIM apps do a fine job of reporting your information in a way that is understandable. But to me, PI is not just about presenting data. It's a planning tool as well.

I need to be able to view my appointments and tasks in multiple views so that I can get a "picture" of what's coming. I need to be able to see quickly the different options I have to juggle things when new priorities pop up unexpectedly (which most do). For me, the built in PIMs don't give me the flexibility I need.

If it helps gain insight, I'm also someone who heavily customises my Outlook views (especially in Tasks). I'm always flipping between a task view that groups by category, to one that shows just the next three days (colour coded of course).

Birdiestyle
08-02-2003, 05:26 AM
http://www.uglybass.com/ultiplanner/images/upcalendar1.gif

OR

http://www.uglybass.com/ultiplanner/images/picalendar1.gif

is so much more helpful than this

http://www.uglybass.com/ultiplanner/images/calendar1.gif

Unfortunately the minor speed degradation in the Super-PIMs is because they handle that much more DATA than the built-in PIMs, and unfortunately the tools Microsoft supplied the developers to work with this Outlook data are very very SLOW to begin with!! Fortunately we have all reverse engineered "most" of the stuff to gain speed, but we still have to then process more information beyond MS to show categories, status colors, time bars,Birthday/Anniversary info, etc, etc, etc..... The Fact that we are even very close shows there is some pretty impressive code behind these products.... But not everybody needs to use advanced features, and can handle view C above.... (and the second or two it gains them the first viewing). Worked fine for me for years too....

jimski
08-02-2003, 07:09 AM

I find PI to be just a bit too much but I think AF provides just enough additional functionality;
1. All PIM apps available from a single screen
2. An effective calendar screen that requires very little to setup
3. A weekly view worth viewing
4. A task list that includes filters and effective prioritization (the built-in Task PIM is absolutely useless and irritates me just to look at it.

rpommier
08-02-2003, 02:24 PM
Maybe that could be a new revenue stream for WebIS, break some of the apps out into seperate one's.