View Full Version : 2210 powering itself on in the cradle?

Icebaron
08-01-2003, 08:15 PM
I remember back in the dark ages (two months ago) I had an iPaq 3955. I loved my 3955 and I charged it every night. I placed it in its cradle close to my bedside and, once it was finished synching, powered it off and allowed it to charge all through the wee hours of the night.

Then, one day, a shiny new 2210 came in the mail to replace the old 3955. I loved this PDA until I placed it in its cradle and turned it off to allow it to charge all night long. Not much later, I was jarred awake by the sound of an activesync connection initiating and a bright blue LED and backlit color screen flashing.

Why would my 3955 peacefully sit in the cradle enjoying its charge and letting me sleep, while my 2215 insists on powering on at some unknown interval to wake me up?? More importantly, how do I stop it?

Huy
08-01-2003, 09:03 PM
:lol: funny post .....hahahahaaa. This post remind me of baby crying for milk in the middle of the night....hahahahaa

lkawamot
08-01-2003, 09:31 PM
I had this same problem, but during the day at the office... anyway, after fiddling about... I managed to find the setting in ActiveSync on my desktop...

1. Click on "Options" in ActiveSync (or go to "Tools | Options")
2. Click on the "Schedule" tab
3. in the "Desktop schedule" section, change the value for "When connected to my PC, sync:" from "Continuously" to a more appropriate value... I set mine to "On connection"

so now, when I plug my iPAQ into my cradle at work, it will power up and sync... then any subsequent sync's have to be made manually, but it won't try to sync again on its own -- but it stays in the cradle and continues to charge...

hope this helps

lkawamot
08-01-2003, 09:36 PM
Hmmm... looks like I misunderstood your problem... you want it so that when you power off your iPAQ it doesn't turn on and try to sync while it's still in the cradle...

I just noticed it when I turned off my iPAQ in the cradle that it does, in fact, turn on periodically...

jbachandouris
08-01-2003, 10:14 PM
I am presently between jobs and PDA's :cry:
I am torn between the battery life of the Palms and the issues with the new 2215. I really want a Pocket PC, but between the alarm problems and the power on problems, I just don't know.

Anyhow...whats the battery life on the 2215?

taxus
08-01-2003, 10:38 PM
In PocketPC 2002, in the ActiveSync options, Schedule tab, you can specify if you want to synchronize periodically. By default, the box "When connected to my PC, synchronize with server every 30 minutes" is checked. The wording may be different: my OS is French. Does this screen exist in Windows Mobile 2003?

Can't say if it works on my end, as I never leave the PocketPC in the cradle to charge. I have the power cord in my bedroom and that's where I recharge my PocketPC (it serves as my alarm clock).

hdsalinas
08-01-2003, 11:52 PM
My 3650 used to turn on by itself exactly at 12 oclock every night. I read somewhere that this is a built in function on ipaqs so that they would sync with the desktop and ake sure that all the information is sync´d for the next day.

Do you have this problem at midnight or does it happen at any time during the night ?

lkawamot
08-02-2003, 12:41 AM
taxus -- I think that's it! But I also found that if I do this:

1. Place iPAQ into cradle
2. wait 'til sync is complete
3. tap on the connect status icon (lower right corner, next to bluetooth icon)
4. click on "Disconnect"
5. Power off

now my iPAQ stays charging in my cradle and does not power back on and sync...

However, I think what taxus says is the correct way to solve this...
1. Be sure iPAQ is not connected
2. "Start | ActiveSync"
3. "Tools | Options..."
4. Click on the "Server" tab
5. Click on "Options..."
6. Click on "Rules" tab
7. select an appropriate setting for "When connected to my PC | Sync with the server:" -- I tried "Manually"