View Full Version : Urgent!!

Huy
08-01-2003, 08:04 PM
Now that you're here you have to read and reply to this post immediately :)

What to do?.. what to do?....CompUSA has a D-Link wireless card for $40 after rebate in store locally for 2 days only. I have also found out the Socket Wireless card I could also get for about $85 after the rebate.

I want lowest battery usage comparing to the money I am paying for the card.

..this is for my H2210

What would you do?

Pat Logsdon
08-01-2003, 08:26 PM
The socket card uses the least amount of power.

You might also want to make your post titles a bit more descriptive - if people know the answer, you'll get a response.

Sooner Al
08-01-2003, 08:36 PM
Checkout this Linksys WCF12 802.11b card at your LOCAL CompUSA for $30...

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=298210&pfp=rebate

Its sold out for online purchase. It is in stock at the Oklahoma City store and may be at your local CompUSA...

Huy
08-01-2003, 08:43 PM
Thanks Surgical Snack for you input about socket card.

I've actually did my research about certain card battery consumption. During non-activity period, the Socket card takes in about 20mA comparing to the D-Link of 80mA. Now does this justify the $45 difference. Of there other factors distinquish the two cards apart but the main reason for me is the money vs battery consumption.

Huy
08-01-2003, 08:45 PM
Yeah I saw the Linksys card as well but not sure about the battery usage because it was not listed in the spec.

dh
08-01-2003, 09:19 PM
To give you an idea of the Linksys card, if I use it in "normal" mode on my Axim for about 30 minutes, the battery meter goes down about 30%

If I select "power save" mode, the reduction is about 10% for half an hours use.

I have no idea what the power save mode actually does, there is no noticable difference in performance so it is well worth while turning it on. I have to assume it's reducing the power consumption while the link is idle.

Main problem for you might be that the last time I checked there was still no WM2003 driver for this card. Maybe there is now, check it out if you are thinking of getting one.

Pat Logsdon
08-01-2003, 10:17 PM
I have both the Linksys and the Socket card, and the Socket definitely uses less power. I haven't done any real test, but I can use the Socket for at least an hour (maybe two) more than I can use the Linksys before getting a low battery warning. To me, that's worth the extra money, if it can keep me connected and productive for that much longer.

Anthony Caruana
08-02-2003, 09:50 AM
Hi

I've been using the Socket low power with my 2210 and it last for about 3 to 4 hours

the reception is good - better than my PCMCIA dlink and Compaq cards

SHoTTa35
08-02-2003, 04:27 PM
To give you an idea of the Linksys card, if I use it in "normal" mode on my Axim for about 30 minutes, the battery meter goes down about 30%

If I select "power save" mode, the reduction is about 10% for half an hours use.

I have no idea what the power save mode actually does, there is no noticable difference in performance so it is well worth while turning it on. I have to assume it's reducing the power consumption while the link is idle.

Main problem for you might be that the last time I checked there was still no WM2003 driver for this card. Maybe there is now, check it out if you are thinking of getting one.

use the senoa drivers posted.....

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15658&highlight=linksys

have fun.. works on my H2210 with the built in features too..

Janak Parekh
08-03-2003, 12:42 AM
Huy, it is generally considered part of Internet etiquette to actually use a subject field to concisely describe the topic of discussion.

That said, let's get back on topic, please.

--janak

Kati Compton
08-04-2003, 12:36 AM
Since Janak's warning went unheeded, the discussion about non-descriptive post titles can be found here:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16044

Any further rants/discussions about the lack of descriptiveness of the title of these thread will be deleted, as I cannot append them to the split thread.