View Full Version : What is this? "Microsoft Activation"

Cortex
08-01-2003, 02:37 PM
I'm looking through Remove Programs on my device (a T-Mobile PPC Phone runing 2002 Phone Edition) and there is a program listed called "Microsoft Activation".

I know it wasn't there when the device was new but I'm not sure how it got there or if it can be removed.

Does anyone know what this is?

Oliver T
08-01-2003, 02:38 PM
Most probably the activation you did for your MS reader.

Oliver

Thefo
08-01-2003, 02:54 PM
Yes this is the reader activation tied your passport account.

racerx
08-01-2003, 02:54 PM
It is the activation you did for your Microsoft Reader so you could read DRM books. It could be removed, but then you would not be able to open those books that use Digital Rights Management.

Cortex
08-01-2003, 07:25 PM
guess i'll keep it

thanks

darrylb
08-02-2003, 04:31 AM
Ive got this as well and Im tempted to remove it. I have the old version of reader in ROM (v2.2.1) and I refuse to install the new version cos my RAM is too valuable. Besides the ebooks I read are free anyway :mrgreen:

Jorgen
08-02-2003, 06:59 AM
The activation material is in the following five files in \Windows

Microsoft Activation.Unload
Secrep.dat
Secrep.dll
Secrep.xml
Secrepid.dat

You should back up these and after a hard reset / buying a new PPC copy them into the \Windows directory.

This info refers to MS Reader 2002 as it was before the last upgrade. I have not upgraded (and have no intention to at the moment) and therefore don't know if there are more files now (unlikely).

Jorgen

lauracw
09-10-2003, 07:29 PM
I have two MS passports - one for personal stuff and one for work. I have some Reader titles that were purchased through work, and also some that I have purchased through my personal passport. Until now, I have just re-activated my PocketPC when I want to switch from stuff bought with my work Passport to my personal stuff. After reading this post, I found that it works quite well to keep copies of the four files mentioned for each activation. Now, if I want to switch from one to the other, I just copy the required set of files into the Windows dir.

This is great! That reactivation routine was becoming tedious!

BTW, I have the newest version of reader on my PPC, because I ran in to some issues with some books I had downloaded. These files are the same for the newer version.

Thanks,
Laura :D

JulieP
09-03-2007, 01:27 AM
I saved all these files to back up my reader activation, but i didn't save 'microsoft activation.unload' or whatever its called, does anyone have a copy they could send me?

Thanks