View Full Version : I killed my WiFi card - can it be fixed?

Anthony Caruana
08-01-2003, 09:03 AM
Hi there

I have (had?) a Compaq WL100 WLAN PC Card. I wanted to use it in my a Toshiba Libretto so I popped it in the PC Card slot on the Libretto and - nothing. The light came on the card and then disappeared. Seemed a little strange but seeing the device was detected I figured I had a bad driver installation or something like that.

In any case, I tried the card in one of my other laptops and it didn't work anymore.

I did some research and discovered that the Libretto does not properly manage the voltage output to the PC Card slots at older BIOS levels. There are three NICs it has been known to cause issues with and mine was one one of the models.

So my question is - is there any chance of resurrecting the card or do I consign it to the "lessons learned" file.

TIA

SHoTTa35
08-01-2003, 02:13 PM
lesson learned.... sorry dude

racerx
08-01-2003, 02:58 PM
Hate to say it bud, but it sounds like you fried your card :cry: . Kinda sucks since who would think that putting a PC card in a PC Card slot would fry it, but it looks like that's what happened. Kinda like plugging a digital phone line into an analog modem...