View Full Version : Activesync and WiFi

gtmtnbiker98
08-01-2003, 01:24 AM
I seem to be having problems with Activesync and WiFi. I attempt to manually perform an Activesync, however, the connection doesn't seem to be available. Any thoughts?

fmcpherson
08-01-2003, 01:25 AM
You probably need to set your network card to Work.

gtmtnbiker98
08-01-2003, 01:49 AM
However, when I tap on the network icon on the Today screen, it says"internet." Any other suggestions?

Mark_Venture
08-01-2003, 01:11 PM
Does your iPAQ connect over the lan to the ineternet? I mean, does everything except active sync work?

If so, I can post a "short" version of what to look for... or I can post the LONG step by step how I setup my iPAQ and equipment to work, allowing for activesync, internet, playing MP3s, playing videos, controlling a desktop pc via terminal services, etc.. across wireless...

misha24
08-01-2003, 10:00 PM
I had a problem synching via wifi and after several hours of troubleshooting it came down to my Norton Firewall not letting me in. After I disabled the firewall I was able to activesync wirelessly with no issues. I then put the ip address range in my firewall settings and have no problems right now. My settings were set to Work and the computer was the name of my machine at home. Hope this helps.

Michael

gtmtnbiker98
08-02-2003, 12:17 AM
Zone Alarm was the culprit evev after I added the IP address to the configuration. All is well now.

Ozy
08-02-2003, 12:25 AM
Does your iPAQ connect over the lan to the ineternet? I mean, does everything except active sync work?

If so, I can post a "short" version of what to look for... or I can post the LONG step by step how I setup my iPAQ and equipment to work, allowing for activesync, internet, playing MP3s, playing videos, controlling a desktop pc via terminal services, etc.. across wireless...

Please do the long version. I spent all last night trying to figure out when to use the Work setting or the Internet setting and how to use VPN and how to route only certain things over the VPN and still don't have a good grasp on it yet. Plus I have NOT ONCE been able to connect via terminal services to ANYTHING and I can ping it with my IP Monitor program on the iPaq just fine. I am very very frustrated.

Mark_Venture
08-02-2003, 03:38 AM
Please do the long version..
Ok, you asked for it.... :) I hope this helps you... This is how I set mine up from scratch... I added the wireless to my existing home lan when I got my iPAQ...

My hardware... iPAQ 2215, Linksys BEFSR41 Router, Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless-B router used as Access Point only, and Ambicom WL1100C-CF wirelss card.

I installed Activesync on my desktop PC, created a partnership with my iPAQ and synched a few times before setting up the wireless.

Now, since I already had my BEFSR41 router in place and working, and the BEFW11S4 is also a router, but I wanted to use it as just an access point, I had to reconfigure the BEFS11S4 following the instructions at... http://www.dslreports.com/faq/3603 if you already have just an access point, I think only steps 4, 7, 8, and 9 should apply to you.

Next, load the LATEST drivers for your CF wireless card on the iPAQ. I had to get updated drivers for my Ambicom card from their site as the card only shipped with PPC2002 drivers which I've read didn't work.

Plug the CF card into the IPAQ.

On the iPAQ... go to Start -> Settings. Click on the Connections tab. Click on the Connections icon. Click on Advanced tab. Click on Network Card button.

From Configure Wireless Networks screen, click on the Network Adatpers tab (at the bottom) and select your network card. When you click on it, it should pop up a screen asking you about IP addres. If you want your IPAQ to use DHCP, select Use Server-assigned IP Address and leave the stuff on the Name Servers tab alone. Otherwise manually enter the settings for IP and DNS. Click on OK. Click on OK again and that takes you back to the Connections screen. Again, click the NETWORK CARD button.

Under Wireless neworks, you should see your access point listed there. Click on it to open its settings. The network name box should be filled in with the SSID of your Access Point and grayed out. The connects to box... select The Internet. (if you turned off broadcasting of your SSID, you might have to manually add it on the iPAQ.)

Click the Authentication tab at the bottom.

If you configured your WAP with the values on that FAQ link I gave above, you need to select the folloing on the iPAQ... Data Encryption (WEP Enabled) and Network Authentication (Shared Mode). UNCHECK THe Key is provided automatically. In the Network Key box, type in the WEP KEY from your AP.. (its really long!! and you need to get it right!!)

keep Clicking ok to close all those screens. After that, I rebooted my iPAQ and was able to connect and surf the internet. BUT activesync was still a problem, so...

On the iPAQ, under Connections, click the Advanced tab. Then click the Select Network button. Change both drop down boxes to "My Work Network." Next, for each click the edit button and go to the proxy tab and check "This network connects to the Internet."

Next, pickup POCKETHOST application from http://www.zimac.de/cestuff.htm and load it on the iPaq. Now you need the computer name and ip address from the PC ActiveSync is running on.. Then enter that computer IN ALL CAPS and its ipaddress into PocketHost. Do a soft boot of the iPAQ and you should be set on the iPAQ.

Next go into Active Sync on the desktop PC.. Got to File -> Connection Settings... make sure the box for "Allow network (ethernet) and Remote Access Service (RAS)..." is checked.

After doing that, I can access the internet, use ActiveSync over Wi-Fi, access shares on my home network, stream audio/video files, control my desktop (winXP) via Terminal Services client, etc all from my iPAQ.

For accessing network shares I use BizzDev's Netuse http://www.bizzdev.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=2&tabid=41. For playing mp3s, I use PocketMind's PocketMusic http://www.pocketmind.com/pmfp.htm For videos, I just use Windows Media Player and PocketMVP

Note: some say that the Pocket PC's default device name contains _ (underscore) which is "not valid" under Windows networking and may cause connection problems. However, my iPAQ is called POCKET_PC_MM and it works.... But if you have problems connecting or with ActiveSync via wireless, shorten the name (make it 8 characters or less) and remove and underscores.

Also I have since replaced the BEFW11S4 with a WRT54G. It is basically the 802.11G version of the BEFW11s4. Configuration was done the same way.

Mark_Venture
08-02-2003, 03:48 AM
...and how to use VPN and how to route only certain things over the VPN and still don't have a good grasp on it yet.
I have not done VPN yet with my iPAQ so I do not know anything about that.

... I am very very frustrated.
I was too when I was first trying to set mine up. I got my 2215 on July 11. It is the first PPC I've owned. Yeah, I've setup Activsync for users at work, but just the basics, via USB or serial.. and once the partnership was setup, I was out of there... :)

All I found on the internet about setting up wi-fi on the Pocket PCs was for PPC2002 which had some of the stuff in different places than WM2003 on the 2215, so the screens/settings/what to click didn't match. I was pulling my hair out. But I finally got it all working. And I still have hair left :)

Brad Adrian
08-02-2003, 03:57 AM
Ok, you asked for it...This is how I set mine up from scratch...
Thanks, Mark, for going to such trouble to write your procedure out in detail. I know it'll help a LOT of readers!

Mark_Venture
08-02-2003, 04:28 AM
...I know it'll help a LOT of readers!
Well, thats what these forums are all about. Helping each other. And I'm happy to try and help others out considering how much help and knowlege I've received just by reading these forums.

Now, I just hope I didn't miss anything in those posts!! :)

Ozy
08-02-2003, 06:16 AM
Ok, you asked for it.... :) I hope this helps you... This is how I set mine up from scratch... I added the wireless to my existing home lan when I got my iPAQ...

Thanks, but I already had my Wifi and internet working and Activesync over WiFi using pockethosts on my h5555, I pretty much need help on the VPN part, on how to route certain traffic over the VPN vs the Internet, when to set network adapter as "Work" or "Internet". And I have NEVER, i mean NEVER gotten terminal services to work!! what kinda crock is that! It just wont connect. Can you not type IP's into the TS client? or do u have to use host names and then set them up in pockethosts?

Mark_Venture
08-02-2003, 04:56 PM
Thanks, but I already had my Wifi and internet working and Activesync over WiFi using pockethosts on my h5555, I pretty much need help on the VPN part, on how to route certain traffic over the VPN vs the Internet, when to set network adapter as "Work" or "Internet". And I have NEVER, i mean NEVER gotten terminal services to work!! what kinda crock is that! It just wont connect. Can you not type IP's into the TS client? or do u have to use host names and then set them up in pockethosts?Sorry, mixed up who replied to me, and thought you were the one who started the thread (with problems activsync, etc)...

As for VPN from the iPAQ, I've not used it and know nothing about it. :(

As for terminal services... I can connect via name without using pocket hosts... I've only used pocket host to list the desktop pc that has active sync on running on it... So, for example, my laptop using DHCP, I did not define in PocketHosts, but I can open TSC on the iPAQ, fill in the computer name for the laptop, and click COnnect. It connects and works.

Btw, the TSC on the iPAQ seems to only be able to connect to Terminal Servers running on the default listening port of 3389. For my laptop, since I use it at work connected to the company network, i changed the default listening port from 3389 to something else so that nobody else could try to connect to my laptop via TSC. (see http://www.tweakxp.com/display.aspx?id=238 ). But the iPAQ could not connect by name or IP, and I could not specify the port to use like I can from TSC on a Windows 2000/XP box, so I had to change the listening port on the laptop back to 3389 for the ipaq to connect to it.

iPAQ Rulez
08-06-2003, 06:46 AM
OK, just like everyone else, I am having problems synchronizing via Wi-Fi. Here is what I have:

HP Ipaq 2215 (Windows Mobile 2003)
AmbiCom WL1100C-CF Wireless card

Here is how I have it setup:

Under Connections/Select Networks, I have both dropdown menu's set to "My Work Network". I edited both so that under proxy it says "This network connect to the internet."

Under Network Adapters, I have it set to "The network card connects to: The Internet". The Ambicom driver is set to use server assigned-ip address.

I get a connection to the internet, I can connect using IE, MSN Messenger, etc. and I can even get connected via ActiveSync, but when it connects, it shows on the PC that I am connected as a Guest. I have checked the settings in ActiveSync to make sure that the option for allow connection over ethernet is checked, and I do have Pocket HOSTS installed on my iPaq. Any ideas???

Mark_Venture
08-07-2003, 05:02 AM
OK, just like everyone else, I am having problems synchronizing via Wi-Fi. Here is what I have:....

Under Connections/Select Networks, I have both dropdown menu's set to "My Work Network". I edited both so that under proxy it says "This network connect to the internet."

Under Network Adapters, I have it set to "The network card connects to: The Internet". The Ambicom driver is set to use server assigned-ip address.....

Any ideas???See my LONG post earlier in this thread about how I setup mine.. specifically...

On the iPAQ, under Connections, click the Advanced tab. Then click the Select Network button. Change both drop down boxes to "My Work Network." Next, for each click the edit button and go to the proxy tab and check "This network connects to the Internet."

That is what fixed the same problem for me.

tewmgd
08-07-2003, 09:45 AM
My "study case" is not with WiFi but Bluetooth but it can be interesting.

I use Resco Files Explorer and under WM2003 with the bluetooth manager.

When I Connected to my BT Acess Point with the Internet Wizard of the BT manager I can't use shared hard disks on other PCs.

But when I connect with the "join a personnal network" wizard (it uses the network card feature, isn't it ?)I can use hard disks, play mp3s etc...

I don't really know the differences between this two kind of connections but it does matter.

Matthieu

PeteTh
08-07-2003, 01:19 PM
Matthieu,

yes that's interesting tried the same myself and noticed that if in BT Manager you tap and hold the two different connections --> Properties,-

Internet via ... (the Connect to the Internet Option)
has service name 'Network Access (LAP)'

Network with ... (the Join a personal Network option)
has service name 'Network Access (PAN)'

Using a desktop pc running win2000 professional I can only see my desktop PC but not other PCs on the network, regardless of which type of connection I choose.

But the second connection option PAN, removes the connecting via BT Null Modem pop up.

tewmgd
08-07-2003, 01:25 PM
Matthieu,

Using a desktop pc running win2000 professional I can only see my desktop PC but not other PCs on the network, regardless of which type of connection I choose.

But the second connection option PAN, removes the connecting via BT Null Modem pop up.

Hi Pete,

Do you setup your network with the same domain name ? I 've also given correct security rights for hard disk access (read/write). When I map a drive, I enter an username / password (windows account).

PeteTh
08-07-2003, 01:35 PM
Yes I believe I did.

Certainly when I changed my password on my desktop recently then BT Network prompted me to enter a new login, so I used exactly the same login that I use on the desktop - id, domain, password.

The desktop is running Win2K and I'm using Resco Explorer to view Computers near me.

tewmgd
08-07-2003, 01:38 PM
and what about others PCs on network ? It's a domain-based network or personnal "home" network ?

PeteTh
08-07-2003, 01:46 PM
it's a work network (domain based I believe). My desktop PC can see other PCs in 'My Network Places' but PDA can't.

I noticed that if I use vxUtil I can ping other PCs if I use their ip address, but not if I use their hostname. So then tried entering another PCs IP address in PPC File Explorer like \\xxx.xxx.xx.xx , but just get 'Connecting to Server' followed by 'The network path was not found'

tewmgd
08-07-2003, 01:55 PM
Humm, it seems to be a problem with "resolve name" service. Normally you can ping them with name.domain.com ? (to know your domain name go in systme properties ) I've not a lot of skills in network administration :lol: Just personnal experience in a little network at home.

PeteTh
08-07-2003, 02:06 PM
It might be related to the fact that I'm using BT with ICS, as there is no Bridging Option in win2K. Thanks anyway.

sdrobert
10-09-2003, 02:56 AM
THe long version is wonderful - full of great information. Before I start doing all of this - I have a few questions. Please understand that I know a good bit about computers but am completly illerate when it comes to wireless. I am running a sony desktop and a BEFW11S4 as well as a new iPAQ 5555 with the wireless capabilities built in.

On the iPAQ side - which on the network adapters is for the built in wireless? the choice are listed below.

On the router side - before I make the changes on the router. I do use the Linksys as a router and plan to use it as the WAP for my iPAQ and for two laptops - all in my home. With this said will the changes you recomend from the DSL reports link still allow all of this to work? Also, will I need to change any settings on the desktop that is currently using the router?

Am I missing anything?

Thank you for your help,
S

Network adapters
NE2000 Compatible Ethernet Driver
L@PT NDISWAN Miniport
AsyncMac NDISWAN Miniport
PPTP NDISWAN Miniport
Bluetooth PAN User Driver
IPAQ USB Wireless Adapter

timmike
03-11-2004, 07:45 AM
I was wondering if anyone could help me on my 2215. I went through the steps listed and am still having trouble. I am using a meritline wl-672 CF WiFi card. I downloaded the new drivers for the 2003 and installed everything fine. Also went through the steps and it says I am connected and shows signal strength and everything. I still can't access the internet though or seem to have access to my PC. I tried turning off the firewall, but that did not work. What have I missed or what am I doing wrong? Thanks for any help. Oh,, I am using Windows XP on my PC, and have nothing else installed on my IPAQ, just got it last week. I just picked up a linksys wrt54G and access DSL through it with both my PC's connected to it through NIC cards.

timmike

hogger_jeff
04-18-2004, 02:39 AM
I've got everything hooked up with my ipaq 5455 and I am even able to connect with activesync (finally!), but that's where it ends. The activesync application on the host PC says connected, but says connecting on the PPC and nothing syncs! I have checked "use mobile schedule" and "sync with this PC during manual sync". Under Options - When syncing remotely I've checked Disconnect when done. Mobile schedule says to sync manually during peak and off peak times. Any ideas?

baker
08-24-2005, 03:03 AM
I've got everything hooked up with my ipaq 5455 and I am even able to connect with activesync (finally!), but that's where it ends. The activesync application on the host PC says connected, but says connecting on the PPC and nothing syncs! I have checked "use mobile schedule" and "sync with this PC during manual sync". Under Options - When syncing remotely I've checked Disconnect when done. Mobile schedule says to sync manually during peak and off peak times. Any ideas?
I've been syncing wirelessly with my 4150 for a long time and now all of a sudden I get "connecting" to activesync and that's it. This happens with the firewall off as well. Any ideas :?: