View Full Version : iPAQ PPC2003 seriously delayed???

3mike
08-01-2003, 12:13 AM
Anybody know what's going on? I had ordered the $30 upgrade for my h5455, to ship aug 1. I got an email saying it was delayed. On calling HP, customer service said delayed til aug 1, then I called sales and was told the correct delay was until OCT 15!!

Are they trying to encourage us to buy Dell??

RickP in AZ
08-01-2003, 12:32 AM
Fortunately for me it still shows my original ship date of 8/7. (Ordered on 7/17, Estimated ship date 8/7, Estimated arival date 8/17)

But then again, I trust hp's ship date about as far as I can throw the Carly herself...

szamot
08-01-2003, 06:29 AM
Anybody know what's going on? I had ordered the $30 upgrade for my h5455, to ship aug 1. I got an email saying it was delayed. On calling HP, customer service said delayed til aug 1, then I called sales and was told the correct delay was until OCT 15!!

Are they trying to encourage us to buy Dell??

most likely not, but they would be well served reading this site and learning about all the problems people are having with their new and updated devices... :?:

3mike
08-02-2003, 07:22 AM
IMHO, this issue is an example of terrible PR at best, and hardware problems at worst, on the part of HP.

First of all, there seems to be no posted info from HP with any sort of rationale for the delay (assuming it is not just a rumer), which customers could understand. From this, customers may learn that the New HP intends to mainly flog new products and to ignore support for already-sold ones. If it is not a rumor, HP should issue correct information.

Second, it suggests there are problems with the HP iPaq hardware/firmware, rather than Microsoft issues. In the recent instance of Dell problems, the issues were not with the Microsoft code, but with the product firmware. Dell publicly noted this and have indicated they are going to issue a correction within a couple of weeks. I was impressed to read about that.

Note I was told by HP sales that they didn't expect their shipment of PPC2003 (Windows Mobile) from Microsoft until Oct 15. This sounds implausible, more like disinformation. Rather, I'm speculating there may be iPaq firmware problems which HP is (a) reluctant to admit (b) does not have resources to correct in a timely fashion.

The above is what I meant when I asked if they (HP) were trying to get us to buy Dell.

Dave Beauvais
08-03-2003, 01:01 AM
My personal opinion is that if they are delaying it to fix problems, then by all means do so! I would much rather have an upgrade that works ship late than get one tomorrow that's so broken that basic things don't work right. Besides, I'm sure they aren't in any big hurry to deal with lots of customers who've turned their almost $700 Pocket PC into a paperweight. :)

However, I do strongly feel that HP needs to be up front about the delay. If there are hardware "issues," just tell us that! I despise companies that withhold information from their customers. Don't feed us lies or misinformation just to shut us up and make us go away, or we might go away entirely and not come back! :)

I am very happy with my h5455 with PPC 2002, and am not in any particular hurry to upgrade to WM2003. Yes, the new IE and Media Player would be nice, but when it comes right down to it, what I've got now works perfectly for me. I have ordered the upgrade already, paying for standard shipping, so if it doesn't show up until late this month, I won't care too much. Just as long as they don't charge my card until it actually ships. An explanation for the delay would be appreciated, though.

--Dave

3mike
08-03-2003, 02:28 AM
I agree, fixing problems is good, and I would easily understand a delay until later in August, but the guy said October 15. And, he said they were waiting on Microsoft (not fixing their own problems). This is why I am confused.

3mike
08-10-2003, 06:13 PM
I see HP have posted a note which says 54xx delay til august, 38xx delay til oct. So we shall see...