View Full Version : Replace processor?

delfuhd
07-31-2003, 08:20 PM
Ok, well as one of my desktop computer's I'm using an IBM e series 545, which has a low processor (about 450 MHz). I like to play computer games every now and then, and I have enough RAM and a very decent graphics card to keep me goin, but my slow processor just kills me in those deep battles where I'm fending off 4 coutner-terrorists and bullets are flying everywhere (in the game). And since I'm not a big buff on the internal parts and circuitry of computers, I was wonderign if there was any way to get a new processor? Could I buy a motherboard or something? I really don't know what I could do, but I don't want to buy a whole new desktop because the one I have is perfect except for teh processor. Or would a new desktop be more worth a new motherboard or whatever I could do to get a faster processor? Any suggestions or comments are appreciated, thanks!

Jason Dunn
07-31-2003, 09:20 PM
Can you check your manual to see what type of processor slot it has? Slot 1? Socket 370?

delfuhd
08-01-2003, 12:30 AM
Here's the online manual. If you scroll down a bit there's a part about processors.. It says "One of the following processors can be installed."

ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs/aptiva/09n8589.pdf

All I can get up to is 750 MHz Pentium III? (I have model # 2171) Will I know the difference if I install a new one or something? And how do I go about doing that... Hope I'm not being a pest with all these questions but thanks anyway

delfuhd
08-01-2003, 12:33 AM
oh. yes and it says slot 1. I think, I saw it somewhere, or it might have been on a different url I was at...

GoldKey
08-01-2003, 01:47 AM
Can I make a suggestion?

I did a quick search of ebay and it seems the 750 mhz slot one will run you about $75 bucks. Granted, not real expensive for an upgrade; BUT, if you swing about $400 you could get a brand new computer. I understand it it alot more, but is much more bang for the buck. Look for one of the Emachine deals at Best Buy/Circuit City. You can often get 24 months no interest so it is less than 20/month. You will get all new equipment, probably more memory than you have now, Windows XP, usually a CD-RW or DVD, new monitor and printer. Of the monitor/printer keep whichever is better old one or new one. Sell the old computer, donate it to charity (and take a tax write off), or make a dedicated MP3 server like I did with one of my old machines. Plus no hassel of messing with the new processor install or worries about getting a dead chip from ebay.

Jacob
08-01-2003, 02:51 AM
Or you could by just a new motherboard and processor - that'll run less than $200 and give a good boost if you can't swing a new system.

Jason Dunn
08-01-2003, 03:08 AM
Yeah, I'd vote for going the new motherboard + CPU route if possible. Those CPU replacements are expensive, and your system will still be very slow because every other component is slow....

maximus
08-01-2003, 03:11 AM
Or you could by just a new motherboard and processor - that'll run less than $200 and give a good boost if you can't swing a new system.

Current motherboards runs on DDR or RDRAM .. his IBM desktop still runs SDRAM. He has to purchase DDR for the new board.

He also needs to check how big is the power supply on the IBM box .. I remember my older IBM PS2 runs on a 80W power supply. Wont be able to use that with a new motherboard and pentium 4.

How about videocard? If he is playing 3D games, it is time to get a decent videocard. I would suggest a geforce4ti4200 ... still the biggest bang for the buck. or if money permits, the fx5600.

I agree with goldkey's suggestion.

delfuhd
08-01-2003, 03:15 AM
Goldkey

Thanks for the suggestion, and I have definitely taken that option into account. I am very close to doing it, but the thing is I have windows XP, granted I only have a total of about 20 gig total on my 3 hard drives, but that is definitely all I need, I have a DVD drive and a CD burner, all the fixes that I need, just a slow processor which really messes up the whole shabang. Don't get me wrong, a new computer is probably going to be my next larger purchase, but I'm just trying to stay away from spending too much, just being a devils advocate to myself, and im now confusing myself... ok anyway.

I'll look into it more, and if anyone else has suggestions, feel free to try and pursuade me I'd love to make a decision on this sooner than later... thanks

Jason Dunn
08-01-2003, 03:23 AM
Check out both of these places:

http://plpadmin.tempdomainname.com/index2.html
http://www.evertech.com/

If they don't have a part that will work for you, I think you're out of luck. :|

delfuhd
08-01-2003, 03:37 AM
whoa a lot of posts. Hmm yeah I've got to either grin and bear this old computer, or just get a new one, which I'll probably do.. I have an ATI rage 128 meg card, it's really nice but the fact that I only get around 10-20 fps maybe 30 in games like counter-strike and quake is just bad. and I have been using this computer for.. about 4-5 years or something like that so I think I should definitely upgrade... :D :x-mas:

Jacob
08-01-2003, 04:41 AM

Current motherboards runs on DDR or RDRAM .. his IBM desktop still runs SDRAM. He has to purchase DDR for the new board.

He also needs to check how big is the power supply on the IBM box .. I remember my older IBM PS2 runs on a 80W power supply. Wont be able to use that with a new motherboard and pentium 4.

Oopss.. you're right. In that case.. yup.. splurge for a new computer :D