View Full Version : The Cradle

Björn Edström
07-31-2003, 02:24 AM
Sorry if this is a real newbie question but I am new to PDAs so bear with me. :)

http://www.bargainpda.com/assets/1562.jpg

I will soon buy an ipaq, probably 1910 or 2210 (the 1940 is perfect on paper but the display is horrible!). My main concern right now is the cradle. What is it good for, do I need one? Can I connect the device to my computers without one?

Thanks.

darrylb
07-31-2003, 02:56 AM
A cradle is useful for any time you want to connect the device to the PC.

There are other ways of doing this of course, and personally I rarely use my one.

You will get one with the 2210, but the 1940 comes with a sync cable only(you probably already know this).

You need a hardware based connection to the PC for ROM upgrades, however, beyond this, you can do everything with BlueTooth or IR.

Hope this helps.

dequardo
07-31-2003, 03:24 AM
Have you looked at a 1940/45 or are you simply relaying others' comments?

hdsalinas
07-31-2003, 03:25 AM
If you get the 1940/1910, it will come with a sync cable.

As darrylb said, you will need this to sync your contact, emails, calendar, transfer files and for installing programs. If you have this cable, you probably don´t need the cradle since they both work the same but I would recomend you get one

What you could do if you want, is get the 1940 and later on get the cradle.

I would advice you to get the 2215. You will have a PPC that is very practical and expandable. (probably the best PPC ever)

hope you find it useful.

Pony99CA
07-31-2003, 05:10 AM
I will soon buy an ipaq, probably 1910 or 2210 (the 1940 is perfect on paper but the display is horrible!). My main concern right now is the cradle. What is it good for, do I need one? Can I connect the device to my computers without one?
You don't need a cradle to connect a Pocket PC to a computer. It's usually a little easer to connect using one because you can just drop the Pocket PC into the cradle instead of fussing with a cable.

Also, the cradle makes it easier to use your Pocket PC near your computer. The Pocket PC is at a convenient viewing angle, and you can use it without having to hold it in your hands.

Steve

Jerry Raia
07-31-2003, 05:25 AM
I like the cradle for the above reason, nice angle on the desk. I sync with Bluetooth though.

Jorgen
07-31-2003, 07:54 AM
I can see that I am the only one to prefer a sync cable to a cradle.

Jorgen

darrylb
07-31-2003, 09:34 AM
Have you looked at a 1940/45 or are you simply relaying others' comments?

My wife has one :mrgreen:

griph
07-31-2003, 10:41 PM
Also, the cradle makes it easier to use your Pocket PC near your computer. The Pocket PC is at a convenient viewing angle, and you can use it without having to hold it in your hands.

If you have got SOTI's Pocket Controller Pro you can see the PPC on the PC and interact with it - in which case you dont need to be able to see the PPC at all, ergo a sync cable is fine.

hamishmacdonald
07-31-2003, 10:55 PM
Just to clarify: the cradle for the 2210 is essentially just a big addition onto the end of the sync cable. You can connect with the cable itself, or you can plug it into the cradle and drop the iPAQ in that. It saves you fishing around for the cable every time you want to sync, and lets you look at the screen while it's plugged in.

Hope that answers your question.