View Full Version : Wifi choices Jornada 548 and Dialup...

merk1821
07-30-2003, 06:43 AM
I bring these three problem up to the vast membership of PPT inhopes that you can dispense some wise advice and opinions: Lets start:

I am an owner of a Jornada 548 (anyone wishing to rescue me by "donating" a newer machine will not be refused..... :D ) i recently picked up a Linksys WCF12 CF Wifi card to do some network security testing for a client. My network of 3 desktops is a simple peer to peer network using a Linksys hub. Anyways, I want to add a wireless component to this netwrok. I still rely on a dial up coneection to connect to the internet and the two ohter computers share it over the netwrok.
So my questions are:
1) Can i buy a Wifi router, plug in my existing desktops and still get that Wifi access to my network or does it need that broadband conecction to work?
2) Do SMC and Linksys work well together? i can purchase a SMC Wifi router for $79 CDN and and i noticed Linksys dropped the price on the 80211b router down to $94 Cdn after rebate
3) Could i buy a Wifi USB adapters, plug into one of my desktops and just run in ad hoc mode? What about range and recption?

Anyways i wait for your sage adivice and wisdom

merk
PPCT poster and now SmartphoneThought winner

FredMurphy
07-30-2003, 10:32 AM
1. You should be able to use the router as an Access Point and ignore the missing broadband connection. (I'm assuming you're thinking you might use this later - otherwise an access point alone would do.)

2. The should all work together in theory and normally do in practice. There are odd combinations that don't get along.

3. This will also work. Range should be OK, maybe not as good as an AP or router but a good try-out option.

rhmorrison
07-30-2003, 12:48 PM
Many Wireless broadband routers also include a modem connection so you can use a 56 k modem if you don't have broadband access. Many also offer a printer port and virtually all of them offer a 3 or 4 port HUB.
For example, I use a somewhat outdated Acer GW-100 Wireless broadband router and it also has a serial port for attaching a 56k modem and settings in the web page for the unit for using the dial up modem for Internet access instead of a DSL/broadband connection.

It's BETTER than sliced bread!

merk1821
08-20-2003, 02:58 AM
Thanks again for the response...Just a quick follow up.....
What kind of range could i get with just a USB Wifi adapter on one of my desktop working in ad hoc mode vs a Wfi router ?

Thanks again

Mark
Smartphone Thoughts winner