View Full Version : Need phone numbers from Old Sim card

tpaxton
07-29-2003, 11:08 PM
My previous phone was an Ericisson T28 World. The sim card had problems so I ordered a new SIM card. They deactivated the old card. I asked them how to retreive phone numbers from the card and they thought it was impossible since the phone would not turn on with the old SIM card.

I was thinking my new PPC Phone from T-Mobile would retreive the info via SIM Manager, but it won't open up unless I turn the phone portion on. The phone portion will not turn on with the old card in the PPC.

Any ideas on how I can retrieve phone numbers from a deactivated SIM card?

Arkhangel
07-31-2003, 02:45 AM
After powering on the PPC with the deactivated SIM card in it, hit "Cancel" at the dialer screen. You should see the Today screen. From here, try to access your contacts. What does it do here?

It should be able to read the information on the SIM card (unless the SIM is damaged at all) even if that card is not activated in T-Mobile's system.

tpaxton
08-01-2003, 12:16 AM
This doesn't work because "Contacts" does not automatically download info from the SIM card. You need to open SIM Manager but it won't open unless the phone is turned on and the phone will not turn on unless the SIM is active...

cyclist
08-01-2003, 01:15 PM
My previous phone was an Ericisson T28 World. The sim card had problems so I ordered a new SIM card. They deactivated the old card. I asked them how to retreive phone numbers from the card and they thought it was impossible since the phone would not turn on with the old SIM card.

I was thinking my new PPC Phone from T-Mobile would retreive the info via SIM Manager, but it won't open up unless I turn the phone portion on. The phone portion will not turn on with the old card in the PPC.

Any ideas on how I can retrieve phone numbers from a deactivated SIM card?

There are phones that can read the SIM directory on a deactivated card.

I know this can be done on a Nokia 3650 or 7650, provided it isn't locked to a network. If you can get the use such a phone, then put the SIM in the Nokia. Open up contacts and say yes when asked whether to copy the SIM entries to contacts. All your old phone numbers will be transferred to contacts. Then shut the Nokia down, put in your new SIM and turn it on again. Open up contacts and mark the contacts that are yours, then select copy to SIM. When you are certain that the new SIM has the contacts, they can be deleted from the Nokia.

It may be possible to do this on other phones as well as Nokias, but that's the ones I know about.