View Full Version : Why are 512Meg SD cards SOOOO much ?

egads
07-29-2003, 10:33 PM
I've been looking for a 512Meg SD card for my Axim and I've found its cheaper to buy a 1Gig CF card instead. There for awhile it seemed flash memory prices were dropping weekly, now it seems they have pretty much stayed the same price for months now. I would a a 1Gig CF card but I don't want to tie up my CF slot, I'd rather have a GPS or Wireless NIC in there instead.

The cheapest 512Meg SD card I've found is around $225, a 512Meg CF goes for $100. Anyone know of any good deals on 512Meg SD's :?:

Thanks...

racerx
07-31-2003, 03:11 AM
Actually, I would consider that a great price. At the end of last year (only 7 months ago) my company paid over $500 for my 512MB SD card. SD will always be more than CF, but you're paying the premium for the size.
I have to say my iPAQs rock with this card! I'm able to carry soo much more with no sleeves - I would gladly pay $250 for one if I had to buy another.

Janak Parekh
07-31-2003, 03:13 AM
It's also because 512MB SD is still considered "cutting-edge". As for memory prices, they drop over the long-term, but there is no guarantee that they'll consistently drop in the short-term; it depends on supply amongst other things. If anything, flash memory, just like other semiconductor products, are subject to short-term price increases at times.

--janak

ctmagnus
07-31-2003, 09:55 AM
I was in CostCo last week and noticed 256MB SD cards for $110CAD whereas their CF Counterparts of the same capacity were only $15 less.

PetiteFlower
08-01-2003, 12:52 AM
That's because a 512M CF card isn't new or near the top of the capacity that current technology can provide. 512 is currently the biggest SD card you can buy I think, if the 1Gs are out yet then they're WAY out of price range, some manufacturers don't even make the 512M SD cards. At the 256M size SD and CF are more on even footing because it's not "cutting edge" technology that put out either one.

Right now it makes a lot more sense to buy 2, 256M SD cards then 1 512. Personally I won't buy a 512M card until it's cost effective!

ctmagnus
08-01-2003, 06:29 AM
Personally I won't buy a 512M card until it's cost effective!

I don't buy anything unless it's cost effective (imo).

tedkyle
08-01-2003, 08:30 AM
Outpost.com has the Panasonic 512mb SD for $189.95.

Mobile Planet has the Sandisk 512mb SD listed in printed catalogs for $169, but when I called to order, they said "it's not in our system yet" and "somehow it slipped into a few catalogs."

rhofer
08-01-2003, 01:26 PM
I recently looked around for 512's as well, and found the best I could do was $269, which is big difference from the $50 price I found on 256's. There were only a couple of vendors making them (Sandisk and Panasonic I think).

There does not seem to be a very good reason for the 512's to be 5 times the price of a 256, especially since the 256's are selling like hot cakes. If they brought down the price to something more like twice the price of a 256 (duh), people would be all over those as well.

Crystal Eitle
08-01-2003, 01:33 PM
There does not seem to be a very good reason for the 512's to be 5 times the price of a 256, especially since the 256's are selling like hot cakes. If they brought down the price to something more like twice the price of a 256 (duh), people would be all over those as well.
I think it has to do with how far the technology is (or is not). There's always a "sweet spot" in computing where you get the most bang for your buck, even if it isn't the biggest/fastest/most cutting-edge. When I buy memory cards, I always calculate the price per megabyte; that way, I know whether I'm getting a good deal. So far, 256 MB cards are the best value (for secure digital). At some point that baton will be passed to 512 MB, probably when the 1 gig cards come out.

egads
08-01-2003, 01:59 PM
I should just keep what I have for now and be happy (256MB SD). It never hurts to wait, prices will drop eventually. If I was to spend $200 on a memory card today I would buy a 1Gig CF just because its a better deal. I know a few months from now when I get a GPS for my self for Christmas I would have wished I bought a 512MB SD.

I'll just try to push aside the urge to buy something now and wait and see what prices do...

But wait !!!, if I buy a 1Gig CF I can use it in my camera.
MUST buy CF now :devilboy:
Naw, I don't fill up the two 128MB cards I have now :angel:
aaarrrrg :dilemma:

PetiteFlower
08-01-2003, 07:11 PM
The 1G SD cards are supposed to (I think) come out in the fall, September or October, and when that happens the 512M prices will likely drop fast. And it will still be before Christmas :)

You always pay extra to get the biggest and the best, "big enough but not the biggest" is usually the best deal. You can fit at least 1 whole movie on a 256M card, and lots of music, it will be useful even if it's not as vast as 512M :)

ctmagnus
08-01-2003, 10:20 PM
I recently looked around for 512's as well, and found the best I could do was $269

8O :shocked!: :confused totally:

I've seen them for $289CDN! But the site I saw them at doesn't have them listed anymore.

maximus
08-02-2003, 01:28 AM

And as usual ... when you place an order, you get the notification that 'the item is not available yet, please let us know your email, we will notify you once we have it on stock ....'

Why did they do that anyway ? Posting something that they dont have yet ? Just to attract attention/traffic ?

tmoth
08-02-2003, 02:45 AM
They were in stock at outpost.com and I have heard reports of people buying them at B&M Frys locations for $169... Too bad there arent any Fry's where I live :(

tedkyle
08-02-2003, 09:39 AM

And as usual ... when you place an order, you get the notification that 'the item is not available yet, please let us know your email, we will notify you once we have it on stock ....'

Why did they do that anyway ? Posting something that they dont have yet ? Just to attract attention/traffic ?

I ordered one last week and got it in two business days. I noticed that they went out of stock for a day or two and they're back in stock now.