View Full Version : More 2215 problems...

cab124
07-29-2003, 05:26 AM
Here some more problems I have had while using my 2215. Has anyone else noticed these types of problems??

1. Ever since I loaded the TenGo keyboard (which is pretty cool!), Transcriber has been acting strange. It often returns garbled text, and it no longer recognizes any of the standard gestures. I uninstalled TenGo and did a soft reset but the problem persists. I am not 100% certain that TenGo caused the problem, but it was roughly around the time I loaded it that I started having the issue with Transcriber.

2. The up/down button seems to work reliably in MS Reader, but behaves very erratically in PocketBible (causing the text to jump chapters rather than just scroll up or down).

3. Opening a book in MS Reader seems to take quite a bit longer than it used to.

4. Sometimes the start menu doesn't respond as quickly as it used to. It may take 2 or three taps before it responds at all.

5. My BlueTooth network connection (Belkin USD adapter) often times disconnects right in the middle of synching with Pocket Quicken or while surfing the web.

6. Every so often (usually when I am away from my desktop) MS Reader will tell me that it can no longer access my books and I must reactivate. I have done this several times already.

I really don't mean to sound like a whiner, but it seems that there are quite a few little quirks like those described above that are beginning to make my new pocket pc feel very unreliable. My initial euphoria is beginning to turn to a feeling of being somewhat disappointed.

Duncan
07-29-2003, 09:36 AM
1 - I uninstalled TenGO - far too irritating - plus I suspected it of causing a few problems, though I can't prove anything... hardly a 2210/15 problem tough is it?

2 - I've not had this scroll issue in Pocket Bible - possibly your d-pad sensitivity needs adjusting?

3 - Yes - MS Reader does seem to take longer to open books - though this only happened for me after installing the update - so probably not a WM2003 or 22xx issue.

4 - Agreed - the start menu can be unresponsive. Presumably a WM2003 quirk?

5 - Agreed - it isn't the adaptor that is disconnecting however but the iPAQ. It is inconsistent but something on the 22xx is causing BT disconnection. I'm not sure if I noticed this happening before installing Journal Bar though...

6 - Never happened to me. I suspect a flaw in the MS Reader U/D - though why this would happen to you and not to me is curious!

but it seems that there are quite a few little quirks like those described above that are beginning to make my new pocket pc feel very unreliable.

Only one of the above can be laid at the feet of your new Pocket PC, others are more likely WM2003 bugs/quirks or problems with reader or a simple need of d-pad adjustment.

Very unfortunate that you've had so many problems but I would suggest doing searches on each individual problem to see if you can find common patterns or solutions - a thread entitled 'More 2215 problems...' is not likely to get you very far if what you are actually having is a mix of 2215 and Reader and WM2003 problems...

cab124
07-29-2003, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the input. Its appreciated!

I guess what I meant was "Problems I have encountered while using a new 2215." I didn't mean to imply that the problems are caused by the 2215 hardware itself.

I am definitely finding that my new 2215/Windows Mobile 2003 OS is much less reliable and far more quirky than my old 3650/PPC 2002 OS.

I have tried adjusting the sensitivity of the joypad which has helped in most applications. But for some reason, in Pocket Bible, when I try to use the joypad to scroll, it will usually jump to the next chapter in the book. Really weird that it would do that in one application and not in another.

Its definitely interesting to note that you have experienced items 3, 4 and 5. At least now I know that others are having the same problems.

As far as the Start menu being unresponsive, it definitely wasn't like that when I took the device out of the box. Something has happened since then to cause the slow-down.

It wouldn't suprise me that because there are dramatic changes in the OS under the hood (related to CE.NET), there may be alot of small issues that are going to start to surface as people begin to really use the OS. Hopefully at some point there will be a patch.

Duncan
07-29-2003, 01:25 PM
Have you checked if you have the latest version of Pocket Bible? Version 2.020? I don't know if it will help - but I've not seen the issue you are having...

cab124
07-29-2003, 04:15 PM
I just checked my version of PocketBible and it is version 1.018, so it does appear that I am behind. I did update it to the latest version right after I got my 2215, but apparently Laridian has released yet another upgrade in the past couple of weeks since then. Thanks!!! I will update again and see if that solves the problem.

Also, I just realized that my problem with Transcriber has nothing at all to do with the TenGO software. As it turns out, the problem was nothing more than the fact that the writing-direction setting in Transcriber had inadvertently become set to a wrong position. I let alot of people test out my 2215 and someone may have changed the setting. Now that I have corrected it, it is working fine.

I assumed that the TenGO software may have had something to do with the problem but as it turns out I was entirely WRONG! The problem had more to do with my being a PPC lightweight!!!

Incidentally, TenGO is a really ingenious program. I was really impressed with it and I am looking forward to loading it back up and playing with it somemore. As you key in your text using only 6 large keys, the software tracks the possible words that could be spelled using the combinations of keystrokes that you enter. Because only 6 large keys are used, there is a "sweet spot" in the middle of the keyboard where all tapping can be done, which makes entry much more efficient.
I would be curious to see what everyone else thinks of it.

Once again, thanks for the input.

CEONelson
07-29-2003, 11:52 PM
2. The up/down button seems to work reliably in MS Reader, but behaves very erratically in PocketBible (causing the text to jump chapters rather than just scroll up or down).

I've had this happen to me as well and it's really annoying, especially since PocketBible doesn't track the verse you're at in the current chapter so pressing the back button just takes you to the start, not to where you were. It seems to only happen to me when I try and scroll up though - having it go off just a tiny bit to the right while going up will jump me forward a chapter, but going to the left doesn't seem to have an effect.

Overall I like my 2215, but for reading the Bible in bed my visor edge sure was nice because of how thin it was!

journey
07-30-2003, 01:20 AM

I've had this happen to me as well and it's really annoying, especially since PocketBible doesn't track the verse you're at in the current chapter so pressing the back button just takes you to the start, not to where you were. It seems to only happen to me when I try and scroll up though - having it go off just a tiny bit to the right while going up will jump me forward a chapter, but going to the left doesn't seem to have an effect.

Overall I like my 2215, but for reading the Bible in bed my visor edge sure was nice because of how thin it was!
I have had this problem with several applications:
- Laridian PocketBible and Daily Reader
- Inbox / mail -- it will jump to the next email

I believe the problem has to do with the hypersentive d-pad and that the d-pad can do 'angled' movements, which are the equivalent of pressing two directions at the same time (e.g., 'down' and 'right'). Thus, if you do not press exactly straight down and press cause down & right/left to fire, you scroll down a little bit, and then skip to the next/previous chapter/email. Very annoying.

It would be nice if HP allowed disabling of the angled d-pad movement.

cab124
07-30-2003, 04:53 AM
I just updated my copy of PocketBible from 2.018 to 2.020. Now, I no longer have the problem! I can now use the d-pad reliably to scroll through a book just like I can in Reader. It must have been a software problem.

CEONelson
07-30-2003, 05:23 PM
I have 2.020, maybe I'm just clumsy :P