View Full Version : Samsung i700 on the Sprint Network Delayed for Windows Mobile 2003

Jason Dunn
07-28-2003, 11:00 PM
I just received an anonymous tip that I can't verify, but it seems to make a lot of sense. This was apparently a post made by an administrator in the developer forums at Sprint.com:<br /><br /><i>"In any event, Sprint will not offer this device until late 2003 as we want to launch it w/ Windows Mobile 2003, not Windows Mobile 2002..."</i><br /><br />So while the delay for Sprint users who want the i700 is frustrating, it seems that you'll be receiving the latest and greatest when it does come out.

Jerry Raia
07-28-2003, 11:09 PM
So when is Verizon gonna do something???

Chris Spera
07-28-2003, 11:35 PM
We are looking at using the i700 with Pocket DBA here at my day job. Since Verizon is the only carrier that has the i700 right now, we are looking at a ROM upgrade before calendar year end.

My understanding from the Verizon rep that has been working with us is that the upgrade is in process. They must work with Samsung in order to get it done, so I'm not entirely sure when it would be released...

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

Charles Pickrell
07-28-2003, 11:38 PM
Jason,

i700 geeks have been hearing this for over a month now from Sprint. Problem is that Sprint will not give a release date, just a range of time. Many Sprint customers who wanted this phone left Sprint for Verizon since Verizon has already released the Phone with Pocket PC 2002. I'm afraid by the time Sprint releases the phone there will be new Pocket PC Phone Edition models to chose from (HP, Dell) reducing overall sales of this model for Sprint.

Lasher,

Verizon has already commited to releasing Pocket PC 2003 upgrades for existing i700 customers, but they say they have to test the new OS thouroughly on their netwrok before the release is made available.

Programmer
07-29-2003, 12:32 AM
Why, oh why can't they make this with 64mb or 128mb? 32 aint enuff for anyone. :grumble:

cybrwulf
07-29-2003, 01:15 AM
Programmer - the Samsung i700 is 64mb... not 32

PS> but I do wish they would just all go 128mb ;)

Janak Parekh
07-29-2003, 01:17 AM
Problem is that Sprint will not give a release date, just a range of time.
I'm not the slightest bit surprised by this. Look how long Verizon took to release the i700 as it is. While more manufacturers will be "announcing" PPCPE devices, it's likely they'll get pushed back into the pipeline by CDMA carriers, so we won't see them before the i700. There is such cool latest & greatest CDMA tech, but it just gets brought to market so slowly...

--janak

Chris Spera
07-29-2003, 01:19 AM
Programmer - the Samsung i700 is 64mb... not 32

PS> but I do wish they would just all go 128mb ;)

I think Programmer is referencing the G1000 from Hitachi.

Christopher Spera

Ed Hansberry
07-29-2003, 03:57 AM
Probably when they get final PPC PE 2003 code, same thing Sprint is waiting on. :wink:

gorkon280
07-29-2003, 04:12 AM

When is Verizon going ot have a BT Phone! GRR!

ebadger
07-29-2003, 07:56 AM
I read a Dave Coffing review where he mentioned that he had used a bluetooth SD card in the Samsung i700 and was able to connect to a few devices, a GPS I believe and maybe another PDA.

DaleReeck
07-29-2003, 01:04 PM
The Socket BT card works fine in the I700, but it doesn't have an audio profile for headsets and you can't use the BT to connect a laptop to the phone for EN network access. I doubt Verizon will ever allow a BT phone that can be used to connect computers to the internet. The last thing Verizon or Sprint want you doing is using the 3G network for anything other than simple stuff, like emailing pictures on crappy $99 camera phones. They are putting these advanced data networks in place, charge you through the nose for them but they don't want you actually using them.

T-Mobile is the only one who seems to have a clue regarding data usage but unfortunately, their network coverage isn't as complete as Sprint's or Verizon's is.

gorkon280
07-29-2003, 02:30 PM
The Socket BT card works fine in the I700, but it doesn't have an audio profile for headsets and you can't use the BT to connect a laptop to the phone for EN network access. I doubt Verizon will ever allow a BT phone that can be used to connect computers to the internet. The last thing Verizon or Sprint want you doing is using the 3G network for anything other than simple stuff, like emailing pictures on crappy $99 camera phones. They are putting these advanced data networks in place, charge you through the nose for them but they don't want you actually using them.

T-Mobile is the only one who seems to have a clue regarding data usage but unfortunately, their network coverage isn't as complete as Sprint's or Verizon's is.

Yes but if you had this thing why would you need BT? BT is more then headsets! :)

You are right..."currently" T-mobile gets it, it may be only temporary. BT is slow enough that people won't use it for extended periods of time. Same goes for 1xRTT.

cubby
07-29-2003, 03:56 PM
I emailed Suzanne Lammers at SprintPCS in the beginning of June and received the follow response:

"We are adjusting our launch of the PCS Phone by Samsung SPH-i700 so that we can incorporate Microsoft's new 2003 Pocket PC Phone Edition Software. Originally it was going to incorporate the 2002 software. The 2003 software will ensure a better user experience and various enhancements. We expect that the upgraded Samung i700 will be available closer to the end of 2003."

I also talked to a couple of techs at Sprint and they told me the beginning of 4th quarter, but still no exact date.

cubby
09-26-2003, 05:01 PM
I emailed Suzanne at Sprint for an update and it is not good news for those waiting for the i700.

"Sprint no longer plans to offer the PCS Phone by Samsung SPH-i700 since we were not able to launch it with the latest Microsoft platform, Pocket PC Phone Edition 2003. Instead, we have opted to develop another converged PDA device (similar to the i700) with the latest 2003 Microsoft software that will be available later this year. You can visit www.pocketpc.com if you're interested in the specific features and capabilities of the software. This new Windows Mobile device will have a 400MHz Intel XScale processor, but will not include an embedded camera. This is in response to feedback from customers who were interested in a converged device without digital imaging capabilities. We will provide further details once the product is ready to launch. There are currently no plans to upgrade the Hitachi G1000 to the 2003 Pocket PC Phone Edition software."