View Full Version : 3650 or T610?

Vincent M Ferrari
07-28-2003, 09:50 PM
Money's not a problem. Both are the same price. Which way should I go? I was happy with my 3650, but I think I'll like the T610 more...

Help! :?:

droppedd
07-28-2003, 09:56 PM
Money's not a problem. Both are the same price. Which way should I go? I was happy with my 3650, but I think I'll like the T610 more...

Help! :?:

the 610's a sexy beast - but it has 2 MB RAM, no expandability (as i understand it) and a lower resolution camera.

Your 3650 has a 640x480 camera and MMC expansion. For me, that would be enough to convince me not to change, although I would take a good look at both if looking for a new phone. What does the 610 really have over the 3650, though, outside of form?

Vincent M Ferrari
07-28-2003, 10:08 PM
Your 3650 has a 640x480 camera and MMC expansion. For me, that would be enough to convince me not to change, although I would take a good look at both if looking for a new phone. What does the 610 really have over the 3650, though, outside of form?

Well, like I said, I had a 3650 and I liked it a lot, but the 610 is a lot more pocketable... I'm kinda in the middle on which one. Either way, it's time to put the t68i in mothballs :-)

Form really is the only difference, but the 3650 for its size has a ton more features...

droppedd
07-28-2003, 10:19 PM
eh. Personally i'm going to get one of the new LG camera phones this week, because i'm pretty much set on Verizon. Anyways, it seems to be the best of the camera flip phones out in the US right now (oooh i want one of those Japanese megapixel phones... but i digress). Although Bluetooth would be nice so it could talk to my PPC, i just can't justify the bulk of the 3650 or the low resolution of the 610. Not to mention t-mobile reception is utter and complete bollocks in the US, and they only do weekend minutes, not night and weekend minutes, which is a dealbreaker for me (i spend a lot of time on the phone on weeknights).

shill79
07-28-2003, 10:37 PM
and they only do weekend minutes, not night and weekend minutes

Um... no... on any T-Mobile plan of $39.99/month or higher, nights and weekends are included...

Vincent M Ferrari
07-28-2003, 10:52 PM
Not to mention t-mobile reception is utter and complete bollocks in the US, and they only do weekend minutes, not night and weekend minutes, which is a dealbreaker for me (i spend a lot of time on the phone on weeknights).

They offer N&W now, and their coverage is more than adequate in New York City, where I live... Plus, as far as anytime minutes go, no one even comes close...

Plus, I work for a wireless company, so I get a deeply discounted rate plan ;-)

Janak Parekh
07-28-2003, 10:56 PM
shill79 is right -- T-Mobile changed their policy on weeknights about 6 months ago.

vincenzosi, the 3650 is absolute tops receptionwise. That said, Bronx has pretty good T-Mo reception, so it probably doesn't matter. If price were no object, I'd go for the T610. Better keypad, more standard Bluetooth implementation, and reception is still decent. I don't need Symbian, as I have a Pocket PC, and besides a non-touchscreen Symbian (e.g., Series 60) is not as useful for me (e.g., as opposed to SE's UIQ in their P800).

I, on the other hand, need good Long Island coverage, and will probably end up switching back to Verizon when I can. T-Mo is OK, but nowhere nearly as good as Verizon on the island. droppedd: the VX6000 is cute -- and the camera refresh is fast -- although no Bluetooth as usual. :cry:

--janak

droppedd
07-29-2003, 05:14 AM
as far as anytime minutes go, no one even comes close...

em - verizon give unlimited n&w with even their $35/mo plan. TMobile, although they do now offer weeknight minutes, it's only on the $40+ plan. Anyways, like Janakh, i need coverage for Long Island, where I live (I couldn't even get t-mobile reception on a cellular card from my house), as well as much of the rest of the Northeast including Boston, its suburbs, and Worcester, MA, as I'm up there most of the year.

the VX6000 is cute -- and the camera refresh is fast -- although no Bluetooth as usual.

I'm actually meeting with the local president of LG Appliances tomorrow about some construction projects my company's doing involving internet fridges - i know it's not his division, but i wonder if i could get him to give me a VX6000 :D.

I know the VX6k is cute - it's got to be; it's about the same dimensions and is actually slightly thinner than my LG VX10, which is adorable, if a tad boring designwise.

Janak Parekh
07-29-2003, 05:17 AM
em - verizon give unlimited n&w with even their $35/mo plan. TMobile, although they do now offer weeknight minutes, it's only on the $40+ plan.
While that's true, take a look at the anytime minutes you get from T-Mobile. It blows away Verizon. That, and unlimited GPRS for $20... as I'm in the planning to switch back to Verizon, I can immediately say I'm going to be enduring a higher monthly rate. :cry:

I know the VX6k is cute - it's got to be; it's about the same dimensions and is actually slightly thinner than my LG VX10, which is adorable, if a tad boring designwise.
Yes, the VX10 is definitely "boring" in comparison. I forgot to mention the VX6000's external OLED display. It's just a really tight little unit from my 5 minutes of playing with it -- I was impressed for once at Verizon's phone selection.

--janak

droppedd
07-29-2003, 05:37 AM
I forgot to mention the VX6000's external OLED display. It's just a really tight little unit from my 5 minutes of playing with it -- I was impressed for once at Verizon's phone selection.

Hah - one nice phone doesn't make a selection. Most of their phones are still the same, mostly fairly sad b&w affairs with a few of the tired old no-feature color phones like the LG 4400... and still no bluetooth phones at all.

The OLEDs are extremely cool, though, and LG/VZW have been going all out marketing the phone (there are ads in a ton of Manhattan subway stations). But the OLEDs are kind of gimmicky and gaudy... and from what I understand there's no way to turn them off if you don't like them :?. Wonderful for a nightclub; cheesy if you're wearing it on a belt clip at a fairly conservative office.

Either way, i'm 20, I can get away with gaudy and outrageous style for a few years yet :). And as the cheapest 640x480 cam integrated flip phone, I can afford to upgrade to a megapixel phonecam when those come out in the US next year (wishful thinking, i know...).

Janak Parekh
07-29-2003, 05:04 PM
Hah - one nice phone doesn't make a selection.
True, but they're starting to have a decent selection. The A530 is also quite nice, and very small. Bluetooth is indeed a problem.

But the OLEDs are kind of gimmicky and gaudy... and from what I understand there's no way to turn them off if you don't like them :?. Wonderful for a nightclub; cheesy if you're wearing it on a belt clip at a fairly conservative office.
The VX6000's isn't that bad, although the rotating color dots is a bit funky.

--janak

droppedd
07-30-2003, 05:20 AM
Yah so i just picked up a vx6000. The camera's pretty nifty, and adjusts better than I expected to indoor lighting conditions (although i do like Sprint's Sanyo with the LED flash - but it costs $100 more and the flash is closeup only).
But there's still no data cable for it yet so the only way to get photos is to email them to yourself :roll:. And as this is the only phone in the near future they have planned that can take or even view photo messages, it's kind of not as useful as it could be otherwise, unless all your friends have vx6ks.

And there's no plans from verizon to offer a BT phone anytime soon. Ah well.

Oh and the LEDs only really light up for phone calls and the like... so it's not quite so bad as the review i read made it sound. The little smiley face animation when you change options is starting to get to me though.... :evil:

oh and a minor stupid issue - the hip holster, unlike my vx10's, locks the phone in completely, so you can't flip the phone open while it's in the holster. I did that a lot to check the time (since I don't wear a watch). Minor, but irritating.

Certified Optimist
07-30-2003, 08:21 AM
T610 - it's been reported it's got two problems:
1. Difficult to see the display when you're outdoors
2. Pop-ing sound in the speaker. This is a hardware problem, so if you get a phone with this problem, you need to hand it in to a service center.

Janak Parekh
07-31-2003, 03:52 AM
droppedd, thanks for the feedback. At least they're starting to tackle some of the issues. I can think optimistically, can't I? :D

Certified Optimist, re #1: I believe that's true of many transflective displays. Is the T610 noticeably worse than, say, the T68? The T68 was visible outside, but not great unless you were in direct sunlight.

--janak

maximus
07-31-2003, 07:49 AM
Hah - one nice phone doesn't make a selection. Most of their phones are still the same, mostly fairly sad b&w affairs with a few of the tired old no-feature color phones like the LG 4400... and still no bluetooth phones at all.

If you want 'sexy' and 'bluetooth' ... wait for the upcoming motorola V600 ...