View Full Version : Update On Dell Axim with Pocket PC 2003

Ed Hansberry
07-28-2003, 08:12 PM
I just received information from Dell regarding the Axim X5 issue with the Windows Mobile 2003 for Pocket PC OS.<br /><br />"As reported earlier, Dell has resumed shipping the Axim X5 with Pocket PC 2003. Axim X5 shipments resumed on July 25 and Dell is committed to clearing the backlog as quickly as possible.<br /><br />"Dell expects the fix, which is a ROM update, to be posted to the website (support.dell.com) by <b>Wednesday, July 30</b>. Users should note that the file is expected to be large (approximately 28MB). For customers who can't easily download the file, Dell is developing a CD with the ROM update on it and will mail it out when it's available. Due to production logistics associated with the CD, Dell anticipates the ROM update CD to be available within two-three weeks.<br /><br />"Dell will also resume offering the Pocket PC 2003 Upgrade CD within the next two weeks."<br /><br />Dell will also be in direct contact with end users that purchased the X5 to make sure they have the latest software since all Axims sold are direct sales. CNET has also <a href="http://news.com.com/2100-1041_3-5056138.html">reported on it here</a>.<br /><br />Also of note is this comment for all of those people with their brains in overdrive. "Users who currently own Axims with Pocket PC 2002 should NOT try to download the ROM update -- it will NOT work on Axim X5s with Pocket PC 2002." So even thought this is the full ROM image, it will apparently check and make sure you have the 2003 OS already in ROM before applying the update, so you can't use this download to upgrade your machine from 2002 to 2003. You'll have to buy the CD. :)

GoldKey
07-28-2003, 08:36 PM
Also of note is this comment for all of those people with their brains in overdrive. "Users who currently own Axims with Pocket PC 2002 should NOT try to download the ROM update -- it will NOT work on Axim X5s with Pocket PC 2002." So even thought this is the full ROM image, it will apparently check and make sure you have the 2003 OS already in ROM before applying the update, so you can't use this download to upgrade your machine from 2002 to 2003. You'll have to buy the CD. :)

Man, I was already thinking of that before I even got to that paragraph. :D

Foo Fighter
07-28-2003, 08:54 PM
Praise the lord! Too bad about the Upgrade CD delay though. Got that message in my inbox Saturday. :(

CTSLICK
07-28-2003, 08:55 PM
Well I gotta be patient. Got an email from Dell saying that my order won't get here until 08/26/2003 ( I ordered on 06/26/2003). Thats a month delay over the original 07/24/2003 estimate. But on the plus side it will let a lot of people test it out before I get it. :wink:

egads
07-28-2003, 09:00 PM
Looking forward to see what kind of problems (if any) pop up when people start getting the CD's. I plan to wait and see how the install goes and see if there are any real speed increases with the new OS.

Hope it goes well for everyone !!!

Jason Lee
07-28-2003, 09:09 PM
yay for dell!! Nice to see this kind of customer service. (Disgruntled toshiba owner)

hockeydude
07-28-2003, 09:52 PM
I will also wait to see what kind of Speed people get with the new OS/fix before I go and buy an Axim. If they get the kind of speed that the 2215/2210 is getting....then I think I will get one. Probably the 300mhz though....its cheaper and then I can get some extra stuff with it.

ShivShanks
07-28-2003, 11:32 PM
Dell expects the fix, which is a ROM update, to be posted to the website (support.dell.com) by Wednesday, July 30. Users should note that the file is expected to be large (approximately 28MB).

Does anyone have any idea what exactly was the problem? How did Dell screw up big time without even testing the new OS properly on its handhelds? Obviously its not an OS issue, so what exactly was at fault? Doesn't inspire too much confidence on Dell that they are being so coy about what the problem exactly was and the fact that it took them so long to realise it. They do have a QA dept for their handhelds, don't they?

Jonathon Watkins
07-28-2003, 11:51 PM
Better late than never........ :?

Ed Hansberry
07-29-2003, 12:14 AM
Does anyone have any idea what exactly was the problem? How did Dell screw up big time without even testing the new OS properly on its handhelds?
Just wait for the patch. Dell's README files are usually pretty comprehensive when it comes to BIOS updates, and the firmware is similar to a BIOS.

takotchi
07-29-2003, 02:11 AM
Why is it that *I* ordered on 6/25 and I get a date of 9/4 for it to even ship, not be delivered, and people who ordered after me get dates of August 22 and August 26? It hardly seems fair, that's a whole couple of weeks after their date, even though I ordered before... stupid Dell!! :evil:

PetiteFlower
07-29-2003, 04:45 AM
Don't put too much faith in estimated ship dates, they overestimate a lot. I think it will probably be ready to go out sooner but they just pushed the date WAY back so they won't have to miss the deadline a second time.

Non-tech types probably wouldn't understand the problem and even for those that would, that kind of information is proprietary and they don't have to give it out. There was a bad interaction between the firmware and the OS, it's been fixed, what more does a consumer need to know?

I wouldn't expect it to be as fast as the 2210. It should be faster then the 2002 Axims but even if the software is optimized for the new chip the hardware is not so it will be limited by the hardware. If speed is your primary desire and you don't mind spending the extra money, get the 2210. If "faster but not blazing" is acceptable and you want to save the cash, get the Axim. If you HAVE an Axim, get the upgrade and wait for more choices before you get a 2003 device :)

sponge
07-29-2003, 05:20 AM
Also of note is this comment for all of those people with their brains in overdrive. "Users who currently own Axims with Pocket PC 2002 should NOT try to download the ROM update -- it will NOT work on Axim X5s with Pocket PC 2002." So even thought this is the full ROM image, it will apparently check and make sure you have the 2003 OS already in ROM before applying the update, so you can't use this download to upgrade your machine from 2002 to 2003. You'll have to buy the CD. :)

Man, I was already thinking of that before I even got to that paragraph. :D

It won't be long until someone figures out a way around that :P

bluevolume
07-29-2003, 06:33 AM
Dell expects the fix, which is a ROM update, to be posted to the website (support.dell.com) by Wednesday, July 30. Users should note that the file is expected to be large (approximately 28MB).

Does anyone have any idea what exactly was the problem? How did Dell screw up big time without even testing the new OS properly on its handhelds? Obviously its not an OS issue, so what exactly was at fault? Doesn't inspire too much confidence on Dell that they are being so coy about what the problem exactly was and the fact that it took them so long to realise it. They do have a QA dept for their handhelds, don't they?

I wouldn't put too much weight on the fact that the problem happened in the first place -- in today's world of agressive delivery dates and low sales margins, this isn't that uncommon. The real victory is given to Dell for quickly recognizing the problem, and showing great effort in getting it fixed.

I used to work for a huge company (one of the biggest names in America) and while we didn't do a lot of software development, it was expected that the stuff we did release was on par with the quality of our other products. We released a major upgrade, and something "innovative" a developer had done at the last minute totally screwed up the release. Not only did it not work right, but it would corrupt any files the user had made with previous versions. How could this happen? Last I checked it was still humans that were making these products.

Blue

Tim Allen
07-29-2003, 01:18 PM
It just goes to show that fixing a defect quickly and pro-actively can actually put you in a better light with your customers than if you never introduced the defect in the first place. If your customers never talk to you because there's never any problems with your product, then they never get to experience how good (or bad) your customer service is when things go wrong.

irn-chriz
07-30-2003, 05:40 PM
I have tried the upgrade out and compared it to an earlier release of wm2003 on the Axim and it certainly sorts out all of the problems.

The Axim now powers on very quickly (no more 10-15 second delays) and in general operation it seems to be more sprightly than even the ppc 2002 version.

Finally the Axim is worth keeping

:mrgreen:

david291
07-30-2003, 06:36 PM
Where is the upgrade? It was supposed to be released on the web today, right?