View Full Version : MP3 Player?

ppcnewbie
07-28-2003, 06:15 PM
Anyone have a good MP3 player in the 100-150 dollar range that they would recommend?

I was also thinking it would be nice if it had an FM tuner and USB plug n play type support, so that I could use it has a memory keydrive (to move word docs and the like between computers) without having to install any software.

droppedd
07-28-2003, 06:59 PM
The only good branded one that I know of that has "pen drive" capabilities is the Creative Nomad MuVo.

There are some other no-name branded ones like this:

http://www.komusa.com/usbflpendrpl.html

Oh and I'm selling a Nomad IIc with 192 MB (64 onboard, 128 SmartMedia card); i use my PPC for mp3s now. If you're interested in it for $80 PM me. It's a nice little unit - does voice recording too. Otherwise i'll get around to listing it on fleabay one of these days...

qmrq
07-29-2003, 02:14 AM
I'd recommend a cheap Pocket PC with a flash card. ;-)

droppedd
07-29-2003, 04:39 AM
I'd recommend a cheap Pocket PC with a flash card. ;-)

Right solution for me, not right solution for everyone. Although some runners have no problem carrying around an iPAQ when they run, some would prefer a smaller, lighter, more damage-resistant solution. I'm assuming everyone these days realizes their Pocket PC can play mp3s, as this is a much-touted feature.

Frankly, I found my Nomad much more convenient for, say, fast forwarding and the like while on a crowded subway train at 8:45 AM... but i'd rather minimize the gadgets i need to carry.

Not to mention, for long trips, you're out of luck using a Pocket PC, but most dedicated MP3 players can get absurdly long play times out of one AA battery, and you can always carry spares.

qmrq
07-29-2003, 07:07 AM
Well then! I'd recommend a cheap Pocket PC with a flash card, a custom-built battery extender, and a screen blanking program if you're going to travel.

Certified Optimist
07-30-2003, 08:24 AM
Another option is to go for a Net-MD.

This will allow you to listen to MP3's, record CDs, and the battery time will be s u b s t a n t i a l l y better.

ppcnewbie
07-30-2003, 01:02 PM
How exactly does the MD recording process take place? Does it work like a storage device with drag and drop, or is it different?

Also, if you use it for jogging, will the discs skip?

Huy
07-30-2003, 02:43 PM
I got my NEXIIe when it first came out. It's a CompactFlash card mp3 player also double up as another external drive. Now that CompactFlash is affordable unlike two years ago you can get a 512mb for about $80. The price of the NEXIIe has dropped as well ....it's around $89 on Ebay. The player uses two AA battery and the battery life is excellent. I would recommend for you to buy rechargable batteries cause you would save lots of money in the long run. The NEXIIe is very durable. Seriously I have it close to a year and have use it almost everyday ...to work...from work...to the gym...blah...blah...blah. I have dropped 4 times during heavy workout in the gym ....dropped it so hard the batteries pop out and still sounds as good as when I have bought it.

I have also save work files on it and transfer between home and work. The only bad thing is this baby does not have a FM tuner but if you have a 512mb card you can store more than 4 plus CDs at a birate of 128 and above.

Now that my iPAQ H2210 is coming ...the 512mb Compactflash I have used for the NEX IIe will come in handy .....if I had jumped on the iPOD bandwagon I would be screw right now .

Certified Optimist
07-31-2003, 04:46 AM
How exactly does the MD recording process take place? Does it work like a storage device with drag and drop, or is it different?

Also, if you use it for jogging, will the discs skip?

Take a look at http://www.sony.com.hk/Electronics/netmd/ and the click on the "star" which shows you how it works.

Main difference is that... you can create X-number of MDs and them swap them on the run (blank MDs cost next to nothing...)... With a MP3 player you always need to be connected to a computer to swap songs/CDs/artist. I have about 100 MDs plus... so when I go rollerblading I can just pick whatever I fancy... No need to "hmmm... I am just going to connect it to my computer, swap songs" like you would for a MP3 player (yes... you can by more than one CF card... but... they're "slightly" more expensive than MD disks...).

But... from what I can remember... Sony uses it's own format (so what's new) so you need to tweak it a bit to copy MP3. Don't own a Net MD (only a normal one) and I usually copy CDs onto MD.

Nope... it won't skip when you go jogging since the MD's of today have 60s anti-shock.

Then... as I mentioned... the battery time is about 70 hours (without the extended battery)...