View Full Version : Pocket PC Tools for Teachers

Godsongz
07-28-2003, 04:04 PM
Do we have any school teachers in our PPCT community? If so, what do you use your PPC for in the classroom?

My wife (now the owner of my old 3835 (partial justification for my buying my 2215!)) teaches 5th-8th grade Social Studies and manages the 7th grade home room at our local Catholic Elementary school. I'd love to be able to set her up with some great tools to help her run her classes.

There must be great software out there for:

Lesson Planning
Gradebook
Attendance Tracking
etc. etc. etc.

Duncan
07-28-2003, 04:30 PM
Roll Call from www.pocket-innovations.com is a slow and flawed but nonetheless comprehensive and useful register and marking program.

Jeff from MS
07-28-2003, 04:40 PM
Check out 4.0 Student from Handmark, you can find it in CompUSA, Office Depot, etc.

Godsongz
07-28-2003, 04:57 PM
Wow, thanks for the two really quick responses, you rock! :rock on dude!:

I love the 4.0 Student software, have used it for many classes myself, but its not really suited for the other side of the teachers desk. The Roll Call software looks pretty good, but wow, you weren't kidding Duncan, it is brutally slow. :| Ah well, still a lot faster (and handier) than pencil and paper, and paper, and paper, etc.

wocket
07-29-2003, 10:38 AM
For that cutting edge pocketpc use in a classroom have a look at class in hand http://classinhand.wfu.edu/ and it's free!

Duncan
07-29-2003, 12:33 PM
The Roll Call software looks pretty good, but wow, you weren't kidding Duncan, it is brutally slow.

Unfortunately it is written in VB rather than C++ which makes for a slow program. I tend to start mine first thig and leave it running in the background (it is fast enough once it is running). It is also somewhat buggy, has problems with WM2003 and doesn't seem to be being actively developed anymore - it is, however, all that there is at the moment.

I'm thinking about spending some of my long holiday time having a go at doing something with a SprintDB Pro database - but I'm waiting for version 2 with the desktop design environment before I make a start...

Godsongz
08-13-2003, 03:59 AM
Well, I did eventually decide to purchase Roll Call. Feels weird to be paying for software that seems for all intents abandoned by its developer. Ah well, another $20 to Handango...:byebye: