View Full Version : 5555 Ghost Network

The Half-Ling
07-28-2003, 06:58 AM
Ok well...I traded in a 2215 for a 5555 and have been loving every minute of it since...one thing though i am connecting to wifi networks and one mystery one called Open AP keeps showing up interfering with mine...anyway to get rid of it, settings keep reloading...

Jake-

jt3
07-28-2003, 02:39 PM
I'm assuming that you're talking about the "Wireless" screen that shows the available networks. If so, simply "Tap-n-hold" on the errant network, and a box will come up with the selection to "Remove Network."

jeremyweisser
07-28-2003, 06:23 PM
That will not really solve the problem. To me the problem lies deep within the new wireless manager in WM 2003. Some people have raved about its simplicity but I hate it. My profile always gets interupted with traffic from other wireless networks and sometimes I cannot connect to my AP at all even though WM 2003 connection manager says that I am.

The WLAN status light on my device frequently reflects a different status than does the wireless manager. I hate not being able to specify a profile for each AP I use (ie: static ip addresses at home and in my office).

that_kid
07-28-2003, 11:49 PM
One thing I would like to see in a service pack release is a way to specify the network of choice. That way whenever your network is present it will connect to that even if there's another network around. I don't know why microsoft left this important part out of the pocketpc, especially since windows xp has that option.

jeremyweisser
07-29-2003, 02:40 AM
One thing I would like to see in a service pack release is a way to specify the network of choice. That way whenever your network is present it will connect to that even if there's another network around. I don't know why microsoft left this important part out of the pocketpc, especially since windows xp has that option.

I totally agree with you. In fact is it just me or do former iPAQ 5450 users prefer the older WLAN client to the new WM 2003 client/manager?

Dave Beauvais
07-29-2003, 03:05 AM
The more I hear about WM2003, the more I wish I'd saved my money on the upgrade... I really like the ability to easily switch between WLAN profiles using the HP utility. The fact that I can specify a static IP, power management settings, and other options for a specific profile is a nice feature, as well. So-called "Zero Configuration Wireless" is great, but only if it works.

--Dave

The Half-Ling
07-29-2003, 04:20 AM
i liked that wlan util a lot!!!

someone with a 5450 should take it off their iPAQ

jake-

that_kid
07-29-2003, 05:20 AM
The one thing I miss about the 5450 lan util is the ability to assign a static IP based on the profile. I have yet to figure this out with the new os. While I do like zero config in the new os I think some additions are needed to make it a really great thing. A nice signal meter would be greatly appreciated. I know there's one when you click the arrows but I would like to see one sitting at the bottom.

jt3
07-29-2003, 02:38 PM

Actually, once you're connected, you can go to the "Wireless" tab of your connections screen and deselect the "Automaticaly connect to non-preferred networks" button. Then, go back and delete the networks you don't want, and your iPAQ won't connect to them anymore.

As for setting a static IP... you can set that in the "iPAQ USB Wireless Adaptor" settings. I know it's not per profile... but I have static IPs set that way for home use, and I was still able to access a WLAN network in a hotel I was in last week without changing anything, so I'm wondering if there isn't some sort of profile thing going on behind the scenes.