View Full Version : Axim Question

hockeydude
07-27-2003, 09:45 PM
Is there anyone here who has recently bought an Axim, and if so....can you tell me if they still have the "mooshy" D-Pad and also.....did they impliment the new PXA255 Processor? If they did use the new Proc, does it run any better then the PXA250? I would like to know because my one friend has an Axim with the PXA250 and PPC 2002 and it didnt run movies very well at all. And Im concerned with the D-Pad becuase I have used a few Axims that have this problem and it makes it very hard for gaming

Thanks in Advance.

sracer
07-27-2003, 10:39 PM
Yes, the latest Axims still have the mushy D-Pad... it is that way by design. And yes, they too have the PXA255 though it is difficult to tell the impact to performance since a bug in their implementation of PPC2003 renders the Axim virtually useless.

dh
07-28-2003, 12:23 AM
All Axims have used the PXA255 since early March.
Also I have my second one and the D-Pad is much better than the first. Not perfect but much better. I don't use mine for games so I can't comment on it's functionality for this purpose.

The WM2003 problem makes the new Axim a bit slower than the 2002 version. It's certainly not "nearly useless" and Dell will be issuing a solution soon.

sracer
07-28-2003, 01:13 AM
All Axims have used the PXA255 since early March.
Also I have my second one and the D-Pad is much better than the first. Not perfect but much better. I don't use mine for games so I can't comment on it's functionality for this purpose.

The WM2003 problem makes the new Axim a bit slower than the 2002 version. It's certainly not "nearly useless" and Dell will be issuing a solution soon.

The Axim I just received last week had a very mushy D-Pad... I find it difficult to believe that it was ever worse than that.

As for the WM2003 problem, yes, it does make the Axim nearly useless... it is so bad that Dell ceased shipping them until a fix was released. I had 2 of them and they were unusable. I returned both. Check the other forums and the vastly overwhelming comments agree with my assessment.

As for Dell releasing a solution soon... Dell isn't telling anyone anything. Especially customers who plunked down hard-earned money for one. :(

PetiteFlower
07-28-2003, 06:45 PM
If you don't like the D pad you can return it, most have an ok pad now.

It's not the best in the PPC world but it should be acceptable for playing games and such, I don't have much problem with mine (second one, returned first one for this problem).

hockeydude
07-28-2003, 06:55 PM
It sounds that way with everyone.....the first one is bad but the second replacement one is fine!? Why dont they test them before they send them. :D Im not sure yet what Im gonna do. I LOVE THE OPTIONAL 3440 maH battery but im just not sure. The Gateway PPC that is coming out sounds very nice too.

Another question: Is there much of a difference between the 400mhz and 300mhz versions? Other then memory. If I do get the Axim I will probably get the 300mhz version because it is so cheap and then I can get a Keyboard and maybe an extra battery. Mainly I want to know how it works with game speed/movie speed. It would be great if when they release the fix someone here could leave some benchmarks.

Thanks again for all the help.

PetiteFlower
07-29-2003, 05:45 AM
300 speed is fine for me, games but no movies, most of the time I keep it set on Power Save even(200 m). But you'll wish for the extra memory and the cradle too so if you can spend the money then get the 400m.

David Prahl
07-29-2003, 02:28 PM
I bought my Axim the first week they came out, so mine is the PXA250 and mushy D-PAD. I downloaded the latest ROM from Dell, AO3, and it makes it MUCH easier to use.

The D-PAD is really not that bad.

Yes, the new PXA255 CPU seems to make it go significantly faster.

If you're concerned about playing movies and how fast the 255 is, you'd better get the 400 Mhz model. The battery lasts for two or three days of gaming and surfing, and charges quickly.

Also, I'd suggest buying a second standard battery instead of getting the high capacity battery.

hockeydude
07-29-2003, 09:14 PM
Basically what I want to know is if I get the 300mhz model, will I be able to run Games such as "Snails", and "SimCity 200" at a reasonable speed along with Movies. From reading other reviews, it sounds like the new PXA255 is pretty fast even in the 300mhz model.

Btw: I read on Brighthand that most of the newer Axims dont have the D-Pad problem or atleast not as badly.

PetiteFlower
07-30-2003, 06:37 AM
Basically what I want to know is if I get the 300mhz model, will I be able to run Games such as "Snails", and "SimCity 200" at a reasonable speed along with Movies.

Games, yes. I've run the demo version of Snails and I use Pocket Nester a lot just fine. Movies, like I said not sure, haven't tried, but I think they are watchable. I've watched small movie clips but they were shot on a webcam so the quality was sucky, I don't know how it would do with a good quality movie ripped from DVD or anything.