View Full Version : Neq w IPAQ 2210

fbrodie
07-27-2003, 06:13 PM
Just got a new IPAQ. Should I charge the battery fully before I use it for the first time?

Dazbot
07-27-2003, 06:18 PM
To get the full life of the battery, you have to charge it before the first use, and then keep plugged in whenever you can.

The Half-Ling
07-27-2003, 06:19 PM
I don't know if serious harm can occur, because the devices notorious with battery problems were Li-Ply bats but i would charge it to be safe...

Jake

Bearjaw
07-27-2003, 06:20 PM
Absolutely! Lithuim Ion batteries like a full charge all the time. They actually tend to last longer if you keep them fully charged. Some will argue this but in my experiance The fuller I have kept my batteries the longer the charge has lasted when i havent been able to charge it for extended periods. So do as the instructions say, play it safe and charge the battery fully before you use it. I know its hard but just use the few hours it takes to read the manual and get to know your new baby before you hit the power button.
Oh and congrates on the new purchase I'm thinking of selling my axim and getting a 2200 series. Jeff

fbrodie
07-27-2003, 06:28 PM
Guess I`ll have to wait an hour or 2 before the fun begins :cry:

SHoTTa35
07-27-2003, 11:17 PM
i didn't... i grabbed that baby out the package and started playing with it the first second... it comes half charged so you can play with it before spending all that time waiting on it to charge just to see if you like it. My iPAQ is usually always charged but lately i've been using bluetooth so haven't gone in the cradle yet :D

Janak Parekh
07-28-2003, 12:10 AM
i didn't... i grabbed that baby out the package and started playing with it the first second...
Actually, you probably reduced the useable lifetime of your iPAQ's battery by doing that. :( You absolutely, definitely want to do a full initial charge of the battery, if for no other reason than to do an initial calibration of the battery's capacity. Li-Ion batteries are shipped half-full only because that's the most optimal charge for storage purposes.

Check out my link to the Ultimate Battery Guide (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9063). It'll tell you all about the best habits for batteries. :)

--janak

Chris Pi
08-02-2003, 02:38 AM
i didn't... i grabbed that baby out the package and started playing with it the first second...
Actually, you probably reduced the useable lifetime of your iPAQ's battery by doing that. :( You absolutely, definitely want to do a full initial charge of the battery, if for no other reason than to do an initial calibration of the battery's capacity. Li-Ion batteries are shipped half-full only because that's the most optimal charge for storage purposes.

Check out my link to the Ultimate Battery Guide (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9063). It'll tell you all about the best habits for batteries. :)

--janak

The quick start guide with my Ipaq 5550 says to soft reset and activesync before the initial charge. Is it just badly written? How much damage is done to the battery if it is on just breifly before initial charge? I followed the quick start guide and my first battery wouldn't charge all the way and I reset before charging my replacement battery as well because of the quick start guide. :evil:

Willmonwah
08-02-2003, 05:59 PM
:evil: I did that too, I used it for like an hour before charging it... now my max life with med. backlight is 6.5 hrs... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

SHoTTa35
08-02-2003, 10:04 PM
that's not the life we're talking about.. like how many years before the battery wont hold charge. Depending on how bright the backlight is you wont get more than 3-4hrs of actual use. I have the backlight down all the way and my machine tells me 15.2Hrs of usage but i know that's not true but it goes real long with normal use (MP3s, Ebooks, and the like) without recharging... 4 days to be exact. I did that once to test how long but I keep it charged now.

So yeah, 6.5Hrs is normal... i think everyone gets that... i do too (just tested)

Janak Parekh
08-02-2003, 11:14 PM
The quick start guide with my Ipaq 5550 says to soft reset and activesync before the initial charge. Is it just badly written? How much damage is done to the battery if it is on just breifly before initial charge?
I wouldn't worry about that at all. Besides, wasn't your cradle plugged into the AC outlet, and that's how you set up the ActiveSync connection? If so, and the unit was on while charging, that's fine.

--janak

Janak Parekh
08-02-2003, 11:15 PM
that's not the life we're talking about.. like how many years before the battery wont hold charge. Depending on how bright the backlight is you wont get more than 3-4hrs of actual use.
Actually, I wasn't referring to the battery's physical lifetime, I was indeed talking about the number of hours sustained on one charge. By not doing a full initial charge, the battery or supporting electronics may get confused as to what the battery's "charge ceiling" is. At this point, obviously, don't worry about it; but do follow best guidelines and avoid very deep discharges, etc.

--janak

nihilism
08-03-2003, 08:28 AM
Interesting discussion....

I love how instructions and people always have differing opinions on batterys....and as a guy who really worries about protecting my battery life on all my stuff....it drives me nuts that their is no offical stance on this from companies....
Mobile phones are a perfect example, stores tell you to charge it for hours before use, instructions don't mention it at all....
People charge laptops fully before use...other people boot 'em up right away.....

I have a question for you all....I have all of my big apps (games etc) installed on sdcard that is permanantly insterted into my 2210.

Does reading data from the card constantly considerably effect the length of usage (in how many hours i get to play with it....not how many years before the battery will go faulty).

I noticed after a full charge, I played baseball addict (with backlight under half way) for about 1 mins, exitied and the battery life was 94%...is that draining quick or is it normal?
I've yet to do any benchmarking, Might have to keep using it 'till it runs dry and see how many days it lasts with my usage pattern...

Chris Pi
08-03-2003, 11:27 AM
that's not the life we're talking about.. like how many years before the battery wont hold charge. Depending on how bright the backlight is you wont get more than 3-4hrs of actual use.
Actually, I wasn't referring to the battery's physical lifetime, I was indeed talking about the number of hours sustained on one charge. By not doing a full initial charge, the battery or supporting electronics may get confused as to what the battery's "charge ceiling" is. At this point, obviously, don't worry about it; but do follow best guidelines and avoid very deep discharges, etc.

--janak

Could someone elaborate on the charge ceiling? Is this information stored on the battery or the ipaq? If you don't allow the charge ceiling to be properly set on one battery and then you correctly charge a new battery, is a new, correct, charge ceiling created? Are hard/soft resets required at any point to set a new charge ceiling?