View Full Version : Does YOUR 5500 have a "spongy" screen?

MultiMatt
07-26-2003, 10:56 PM
I have had 4 different iPAQ's before this one, and my 5555 screen feels "spongy". I often use the on-screen keyboard, and am finding some of my letters don't acknowledge as well as I've experienced before... if I slow down, and tap harder than usual, then I'm okay, but it just does not feel right...

With the device turned off, I have tapped all around the screen, looking at it from an angle, and it definitely has "play" in it.

Does anyone have a similar situation? I am strongly considering taking the unit back, to swap out, but first wanted to see if this is a unique issue or if it is just the way the screen is on this unit...

I have compared the "play" on the screen of a 3900 that I have laying around, and it is solid by comparison...

Matt

Jerry Raia
07-27-2003, 01:16 AM
I have noticed that too. It seems like plastic on top of a more solid surface. The upper surface does have some play in it.

eggnasal
07-27-2003, 03:31 AM
I, too, am experiencing this and am very disconcerted. The screen is simply not taut and this is especially noticable in the middle of the screen; when using trancsriber, the recognition is very poor and problematic—screen taps are often sensed incorrectly and the cursor moves to unintended locations on the screen. I’ve also had the application I’m writing in (Pocket Word, for example) completely close out, as a direct result of this spongy play that exists between the screen and digitizer (if that’s what’s underneath the screen). This is very frustrating, for I love the unit and actually returned an e755 to get the h5555. The screen actually feels like I’m using a bad screen protector. I’m going to call HP but don’t want another one if all units are inherently flawed. Does anyone own an h5555 with a tight, taught screen? If so, lucky you!

eggnasal

Jerry Raia
07-27-2003, 06:21 AM
But now I cant remember how my 5455 was!

hshortt
07-28-2003, 09:27 AM
This is the same with 5455, I posted on that when I bought my unit.

The replies indicated that it was just made like that, and not unique to my device. Although I clearly remember that my 3975 was not like that.

Cheerio

MultiMatt
07-28-2003, 10:33 PM
I just swapped out my 5555 for a new one, and the screen is ROCK solid...
:mrgreen:
Now to see if the OS is a bit more stable on this one!

Matt

ctmagnus
07-30-2003, 01:08 AM
Mine's spongy also. Although whereas on my 3670 if you look at it at the right angle you can notice a bit of play in the screen, I don't see that on my 5550. But it does feel spongier than it's predecessor.

carlosgp
08-01-2003, 11:48 PM
5450 screen is a little spongy too :)

ctmagnus
08-02-2003, 06:43 AM
Ya know, mine felt spongy but then I put a WriteSHIELD on it and now it's purrrrfect. :way to go:

:ninja: