View Full Version : Avoid Socket CF Cards

jmottle
07-26-2003, 05:16 AM
Having just purchased a 2210 a few weeks ago, I decided to spend the bucks and order Socket's CF wi-fi card, despite it being the most expensive card out there and having to order it from the US to get it here in Canada.

I have a 2210 and as yet have been unable to get it to work with the Socket card. I have contacted Socket support by phone 2 times and by email 4 times in the last 5 days and so far have received only one response that did not solve the problem. I was to use this card to report live from a tradeshow floor to the 50,000 readers of my news wesbite. Socket knew this but obviously does not value their customers. If your card works and you never have problems, great. If you have problems, don't expect any help from Socket becuase their support is a joke. They say 24 hours max for email support, but that did not happen. I even called sales directly to get someone to call me, but no one did. I searched on the net and found the email address for one of their top marketng people and he at least phoned be back, but not being tech support was not really able to help me. Even HE could not get his own people to call me back...Pathetic...This will be my last Socket product.

I would think twice before considering Socket.

Sooner Al
07-26-2003, 12:05 PM
Perhaps if you were a bit more specific about the symptom/problem your having someone could help. I presume you have installed the PPC 2003 drivers from Socket for your device...

http://www.socketcom.com/support/ppc2003.asp

jmottle
07-26-2003, 04:28 PM
I am using a PPC 2210, the socket wi-fi card and a Linksys WAP11. I have the latest firmware and the latest Socket drivers which have been installed numerous times and have even done a hard reset install.

I have tried using Open system, shared key and both. Have tried no WEP encryption, 40bit, and 128 bit. I have used ASCI to HEX converters to get my WEP key from the pass phrase, I have tried different channels and pretty much every other combination of setting including both static IP and DHCP. None of it works.

If anyone has some ideas I'd love to know.

Cheers,
Jeff

diesel
07-26-2003, 07:36 PM
jmottle,

i have a socket cf wifi card and it works flawlessly....................what kind of access point do you have and have you been able to connect any other machines to it wirelessly?

TopDog
07-26-2003, 09:32 PM
I've used socket-products for years... Right now I have a Socket LAN-card and a Socket bluetooth-card. Never had any problems with 'em at all, in my opinion Socket is the best!

You must remember that with WiFi there can be many things that go wrong... it can be the AP, interferes, setting, etc...

jmottle
07-26-2003, 10:42 PM
You must remember that with WiFi there can be many things that go wrong... it can be the AP, interferes, setting, etc...

Agreed. But the point is that when something does not go right, how are you going to fix it...Socket sure does not seem to want to help.

I am happy to say that I was able to get it to work on the wi-fi network on my trip, but have yet to be able to get it to work with my Linksys WAP11.