View Full Version : sx56 user needs phone help

pkwjr
07-25-2003, 10:32 PM
I am at a loss with this problem. Have had the sx56 since Oct. 02 with no problems until now. Can't make or receive calls. Calls go directly to vm, receive the vm message sms and popup. Making a call, I hit talk and the phone shows dialing for about 1 second, then call ended notice appears. No fast or slow busy tone, nothing. Email and internet connection works fine and also receiving sms messages. No software loaded and I upgraded the att rom about 1 month ago. Problem has been ongoing for 3 days. ATT customer service no help, no tower problems, etc. I do hear a low pop or crackling sound when hitting the talk button. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

cyclist
07-29-2003, 02:25 PM
I am at a loss with this problem. Have had the sx56 since Oct. 02 with no problems until now. Can't make or receive calls. Calls go directly to vm, receive the vm message sms and popup. Making a call, I hit talk and the phone shows dialing for about 1 second, then call ended notice appears. No fast or slow busy tone, nothing. Email and internet connection works fine and also receiving sms messages. No software loaded and I upgraded the att rom about 1 month ago. Problem has been ongoing for 3 days. ATT customer service no help, no tower problems, etc. I do hear a low pop or crackling sound when hitting the talk button. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

First I assume that you have tried doing a soft reset.

That crackling sound makes me wonder if you have a hardware problem. To find out, then I suggest do a sync, take a backup and do a hard reset. After the hard reset, then try using the phone before doing anything else. If the phone won't work in that state then it needs to go back to ATT for repair. If it does work in out of the box state, then you have a software problem. Restoring the backup on top of the working phone may make it work, but probably not so you will need to use sync to replace your contacts etc.

I've got an XDA which hasn't had this exact problem, but it did get stuck in a state where it wouldn't find any networks at all. A hard reset put it back to working state.

Hope this helps.

Cortex
07-30-2003, 03:04 AM
agree with above

also take it to an at&t wireless dealer and have the phone checked out

pkwjr
07-31-2003, 10:57 PM
It was a tower problem all along. Went to my local attws store, manager made a phone call and problem fixed in 3 hours. Att actually called me to make sure problem was resolved.
So if you hear popping in your phone when making a call, don't assume phone is bad. Check the towers!!!
Thanks to everyone for your input.

ipdrazin
08-18-2003, 02:51 AM
Had you not solved your problem on your own you would have quickly found out that ATT will not replace or repair your SX56! I am fighting this battle with ATT right now. Apparently, ATT has contracted with Siemens for all warranty issues. This doesn't sound so bad until you realize that ATT will not send you a new phone when your SX56 dies. For all warranty issues you must send it directly to Siemens (you will be without a phone) for a minimum of 6 working days (i.e. two weeks). I would not have purchased this phone had I known this. ATT needs to step up to the plate and support their customers!