View Full Version : Browsing with 2210 via D-Link BT dongle.

Macguy59
07-25-2003, 08:16 PM
Dang nabit. I was all set (or so I thought) to start browsing and syncing via my BT enabled PC. Here is my current setup: Cablemodem connected to a wireless router. PC and a Powerbook wireless cards. I'm attempting to 'share' the wireless connection on the PC via a D-Link BT
dongle. It seems that the BT dongle insists on using an IP of 192.168.0.1. Since my router has reserved this IP I get a non functioning BT network connection :cry: Yes I know I can just pop in WI-FI card in the 2215, but I REALLY want to get the BT aspect of this working. Recommendations?

freitasm
07-25-2003, 11:54 PM
Install Winrouter ($) and use its router features. Visit our guides if it fails, for more information on this too...

absolutVenky
07-26-2003, 01:15 AM
Lose the D-Link dongle and get something else. I found a generic class 1 USB adapter on eBay that works great.

Macguy59
07-26-2003, 01:28 AM
Lose the D-Link dongle and get something else. I found a generic class 1 USB adapter on eBay that works great.

How is that going to solve the problem in my situation?

freitasm
07-26-2003, 01:29 AM

The problem is not the brand - TDK, Belkin, Bluetake will all require ICS to work, and ICS requires the address he mentions is reserved.

Keep the D-Link and install Winrouter, I say.

Macguy59
07-26-2003, 02:40 AM

The problem is not the brand - TDK, Belkin, Bluetake will all require ICS to work, and ICS requires the address he mentions is reserved.

Keep the D-Link and install Winrouter, I say.

Is there a trial version of it?

freitasm
07-26-2003, 03:53 AM
Yes: www.winrouter.com, and I have reports of users that had success with it, when ICS was not an option.

absolutVenky
07-26-2003, 06:01 AM
Ok, sorry about that. I didn't realize that ICS forced the private local network to 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0

My WLANs are 10.0.0.x and 10.0.1.x and so I never had another 192.168.0.x subnet to contend with. And so ICS works fine in my case and I didn't need a 3rd party router stack on the PC.

Macguy59
07-26-2003, 05:38 PM
Yes: www.winrouter.com, and I have reports of users that had success with it, when ICS was not an option.

I would except that renders a page not found error.

freitasm
07-26-2003, 11:10 PM

Try http://www.kerio.com then :wink:

Macguy59
07-27-2003, 04:15 PM

Try http://www.kerio.com then :wink:

Thanks but the app I tried (lite) would still not allow networking with the BT dongle to work. Even though everything looks like it should work, everytime I try to invoke via BT on the 2210 the PC reboots itself . . . . EVERY SINGLE TIME. Oh well at least I can sync via BT now. BTW how you guys able to web browse via ActiveSync?

freitasm
07-27-2003, 08:56 PM
It seems like you have a problem with your desktop software, but not the BT software.

Browsing via Activesync only needs you to start AS from the ipaq and browse away. It's slow though because AS uses bandwidth to keep checking the sync between devices.

darrylb
07-28-2003, 11:11 PM
I have the bluetooth dongle and the 2210 and I have had no problems (except the new drivers under XP seem to load once for each person logging in which can mean you get kicked off when someone starts a new session on the computer :devilboy: ).

It is probably easiest just to change the address of the WAP to 192.168.0.254 or similar. This would negate all the issues and things should just work :D . Dont forget if you use DHCP that you will need to change the gateway option in the DHCP scope.

I run my network on 192.168.1.x and have ICS enabled on the computer with BT and all is good.

I will say however, that the range on the D-Link BT dongle is less than stellar :evil: . I am considering purchasing one of the Belkin 100m dongles...