View Full Version : New Ebooks are available...

Steven Cedrone
07-25-2003, 05:11 PM
Where's Crystal???

The new installment of free Ebooks are now available at the Microsoft Reader web site (http://www.microsoft.com/reader/promotions/free_shop.asp)...

Steve

Janak Parekh
07-25-2003, 05:29 PM
Where's Crystal???
I believe she's going on vacation today, too. I might do a post this afternoon...

--janak

Bruno Figueiredo
07-25-2003, 06:11 PM
Humm... eBOOBks...

:twisted: Sounds fun...

Steven Cedrone
07-25-2003, 06:58 PM
Humm... eBOOBks...

:twisted:

Man, I can't believe I didn't notice that...

I feel like such a BOOB... :wink: :lol:

Fixed...

Steve

davidspalding
07-26-2003, 03:08 PM
The new titles are released every Friday during the promotion. I'm sure Crystal reported that.

Here's an innovative idea. You all have Pocket PCs, right? Set up a recurring appointment (or task) for every friday, 20 iterations, with a reminder to go grab the new books.

Pocket PCs are amazing. They're not just for eBook reading anymore. :P

Steven Cedrone
07-26-2003, 03:23 PM
davidspalding, I think your tryin' to bait me... :wink:

The new titles are released every Friday during the promotion. I'm sure Crystal reported that.

Yes, she did...

Here's an innovative idea. You all have Pocket PCs, right? Set up a recurring appointment (or task) for every friday, 20 iterations, with a reminder to go grab the new books.

They can do that??? :twisted:

Pocket PCs are amazing. They're not just for eBook reading anymore. :P

I see nothing wrong with reminding the users of the availability of the books at the Reader website. Also, we have had quite a few new people join thoughts that may not know about this promotion...

Steve

davidspalding
07-26-2003, 05:56 PM
You DID read my post subject line, right?

I have stumbled across two announcements about "it's Friday, new books today" here. More at other sites (maybe that's what has me so sarcastic). Sure, the old threads may be forgotten already; but I didn't think that Crystal needed to post a new article every Friday about this ("Where's Crystal???"). Knock yourself out. ,)

Janak Parekh
07-26-2003, 06:03 PM
I have stumbled across two announcements about "it's Friday, new books today" here. More at other sites (maybe that's what has me so sarcastic). Sure, the old threads may be forgotten already; but I didn't think that Crystal needed to post a new article every Friday about this ("Where's Crystal???"). Knock yourself out. ,)
We discussed this on our mailing list, and the consensus was there's a lot of people who just plain don't remember, so it doesn't hurt to make a weekly announcement. If you look at my post from yesterday, there's quite a few "crap! I didn't know HHGG was available last week!" posts.

--janak

Video11
07-26-2003, 08:27 PM
I actually did create myself a repeating appointment to remind me to check for each weeks free ebooks. But I still like appreciate seeing the reminder when I visit PPCT.

davidspalding
07-26-2003, 08:29 PM
You guys are taking me WAY too seriously.... :roll:

rasputinj
07-28-2003, 09:16 AM
Thanks I like free...

bobyeo
07-28-2003, 10:11 AM
Hi guys,

Thanks for the tip. But I cannot download the free ebooks. Keep getting a message to upgrade MS Reader. Did it twice and activated 3 times but still cannot download. Am I missing something?
:( :?:

Crystal Eitle
07-28-2003, 04:01 PM
Heya! I was in Lost Wages, Nevada.

Davidspalding, the PPCT news team decided it would be a good idea to post about the new MS Reader ebooks every Friday, mainly because if we don't, people keep submitting it as news. Also, there are new PPCT readers all the time who might be unaware of the promotion.

Bobyeo, there have been around 3 threads discussing the difficulties downloading the MS Reader books. The discussions have gotten pretty in-depth, so I won't repeat them here, but if you do a search on "Reader" you should be able to find them. Let me know if you have trouble, and I'll point you in the right direction.

ironguy
07-28-2003, 05:18 PM
I upgraded my Reader and downloaded the previous books without issue. This week however, upon download and reader opening, I received a message that says I need the upgraded reader to support the newest DRM technology (or something like that). UPpon going to the update page, the site tells me I have the most up to date version.

Sounds like an MS issue.

davidspalding
07-28-2003, 05:55 PM
<sarcasm>Oh, you need to update again, Iron Guy. See, Convert LIT 1.4 came out after 2.2.2 and removes the new DRM5 (as opposed to old DRM5) wrapper, oh and Ken Mattern's insecure .LIT files wouldn't open, so now there's Reader version 2.2.2.a.pain.in.the.exe which must in installed in RAM in addition to the 2.2.2. update in RAM on both PPC2002 and WM2003 units....<sarcasm>

Are you groaning yet?