View Full Version : Have you ever used your PPC as a laptop replacemet?

Bruno Figueiredo
07-25-2003, 10:47 AM
I'm on a course and at this point we have to do a paper on it in class. The teacher said we should bring a laptop to work on it in class. I wondered if I could use my PPC to replace my laptop, but I'm affraid it doesn't perform well.

We must write like a word document with tables and such. I have textmaker, but still, I think it would be easier to do it on the laptop.

So, have you ever used a PPC for a laptop replacement?

What do you think of it?

TopDog
07-25-2003, 11:58 AM
I voted Yeah, but it's not completely true... I use my PPC and Pocketop keyboard often at meetings and conferences because I just hate to take notes with pen/paper... and a spreadsheet can be nice to create now and then.

And I often use Tasks or the note-field in an appointment when I'm at meetings, just sync my baby at the office and I have it all, instead of carrying around a laptop all the time.

But at some meetings I must demonstrate our solutions etc. and I have to use the Laptop (using WMvare/2000server/SQL etc...).

madbart
07-25-2003, 12:38 PM
The is no way that a ppc in its present form could ever replace the functionality of a laptop computer

Stephen Beesley
07-25-2003, 12:52 PM
Well I also voted Yes - but I would have to agree that a PPC is really not a laptop replacement at this stage.

The reason I voted yes was because for about 9 months I used my Jornada 568, a stowaway keyboard and a 56K CF modem as my only computer. With that I did quite a lot of writing (job applications when I first moved to Ireland :D) and small amounts of web browsing. For complicated documents I mainly used Textmaker but even then the portrait orientation forced on you when using the Stowaway was not ideal. With an IR keyboard and flipping it into landscape (I use JSlandscape) it would have been better.

Before that I used my old HP 545 (with the same keyboard) a lot for writing first drafts of reports and research stuff rather than lugging my laptop around.

In general though I don't think a PPC will ever really replace a laptop - they will always do different things but a PPC will be able to do more and more of the basic things you can do with a loptop today.

Goldtee

Possum48
07-25-2003, 01:32 PM
I voted yes as well, but like Top Dog, I only use my e330 with the keyboard at relatively short (just a couple hrs long) meetings to take notes.

Do have a couple Excel spreadsheets for keeping track of gas mileage on my car and my blood pressure and exercise routine. One sync and I have that info on my desktop.

Prevost
07-25-2003, 08:52 PM
Although theoretically you could use a PocketPC (or a Palm in my case) as a replacement, the screen size is against this use. I use in my PDA mostly programs like Word, Excel and CAD equivalents so in this sense it is my very much portable laptop replacement, but obviously they are not the same thing.

I see PDAs as a complement for a desktop. If you own a laptop, I will say you wouldn'd want to have a desktop besides it. however, a PDA can go everywhere...something laptops cannot. In your case perhaps a laptop will be a better option unless you do not want it only for this use you describe here. if you own the PocketPC, I would tell you to go ahead and pick a foldable keyboard! If you can built up a tight PocketPC/TextMaker/keyboard unit, you will be able to accomplish your mission.

Prevost
07-25-2003, 08:59 PM
something you probably would likely consider is that today programs rely a lot on pointing devices. How many of us know how to duplicate with keyboard entries what we intuitively perform with a mouse clic? In this sense, you would also most likely want to have a mouse connected to your laptop, making it dangerously close to the way a PDA works.

And, if you do not own a laptop yet, buying a keyboard will be at least $700 cheaper...BTW do you use euro in Portugal (just curious)?

sub_tex
07-25-2003, 09:31 PM
The is no way that a ppc in its present form could ever replace the functionality of a laptop computer

Especially those of us working in multimedia. The mere thought of even attempting After Effects, Combustion, 3D Studio Max, Flash, Premiere on a tiny PDA screen sends me into uncontrollable shivers.

But for those people whose computer use is only email, wp, spreadsheets, web -- I think it already IS a laptop replacement.

Bruno Figueiredo
07-26-2003, 12:11 AM
And, if you do not own a laptop yet, buying a keyboard will be at least $700 cheaper...BTW do you use euro in Portugal (just curious)?

I own the laptop and the PDA. I just like to take public transportation and with a Laptop it's a bit dangerours at night.

And we use Euro coins in Portugal.

Prevost
07-26-2003, 01:34 AM
I own the laptop and the PDA. I just like to take public transportation and with a Laptop it's a bit dangerours at night.

And we use Euro coins in Portugal.Been in your shoes, I'll give the PDA a try in replacing your laptop.

It could even look very cool :mrgreen: !

The Half-Ling
07-26-2003, 02:40 AM
I can't wait to get a Stowaway XT those look pretty sweet :)

Jake-

Thinkingmandavid
07-26-2003, 04:59 AM
I cant imagine a ppc being a laptop replacement. There just isnt enough screen size and for me that is so very important. I can see using a small laptop for carrying around such as a Fujitsu P1000....it is small, good keyboard and you are running XP and full office. Too me that is ideal for when yu dont want a full size laptop. It is actually what I have in mind when I can afford it;)

Steven Cedrone
07-26-2003, 05:52 AM
I did try to use my Pocket PC as a laptop replacement recently. (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13015&highlight=experiment) My biggest concerns on my trip were: email from work, family, and friends and monitoring these forums. The Pocket PC performed admirably. The mobile forums worked very well and email worked flawlessly...

So, for me at that time, the Pocket PC was a good replacemet for a laptop...

Steve

Ratel10mm
07-26-2003, 08:46 AM
I have used my PDA for work a fair bit, as I wanted mobility of my spreadsheets & some other software. It works for me, but I am trying to persuade my boss to order me a laptop, simply because there's some applications that need more power than any current PDA provides. I'll still use the PDA when I don't need to carry the laptop, though - it's so much more portable! :D
Bruno I don't recognise the PDA in your avatar. It's a pretty cool looking unit - what is it?

Bruno Figueiredo
07-27-2003, 09:25 AM
Bruno I don't recognise the PDA in your avatar. It's a pretty cool looking unit - what is it?

Well, it's an old Toshiba e570. Actually it's only 3 months old. I bought it new for about 220 Euros (about the same in dollars). It was a great deal. It's difficult to buy here in Portugal any PDA for less than 400 Euros (the 1915 is selling now for 300).

And, we can't buy Axims here. That's right. Only from e-bay. No dell, no amazon, nothing...

Oh well... I'm preety happy with my e570 though... It's fast, good looking and does whatever i need it to do.

Hell, for a device that old it even has SDIO. Is it cool or what? 8)

CoreyJF
07-27-2003, 05:28 PM
If you accept the fact it is going to be more limited then a full out computer, it can be an effective laptop replacement. I have used it as much since my laptop blew up last year. Just look at http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15583 to see what people are using it for. Yes, screen size is an issue. I personally can't wait until there is a reasonably priced pair of VGA glasses like in that IBM commercial. I certainly would not use it as a desktop replacement, but as a laptop, sure. If you are doing processor or graphic intensive activities on the road, then you will need a laptop. For surfing the web and reading email, and even watching video on a flight, my pocketpc does what I need it to and is a truly mobile device.