View Full Version : Bluetooth speakers

LaserProUSA
07-25-2003, 02:45 AM
In the Bluetooth Manager on the iPAQ h5555 Pocket PC 2003 device that I recently acquired there is a Bluetooth Connection Wizard that lists amongst other devices "Connect to headset", apparantly there are not headsets currently available and according to another thread elsewhere in Pocket PC Thoughts nothing available till probably XMas. BUT (always a but) is there such a thing as Bluetooth speakers?

I use my iPAQ exclusively for Audio, Video, Mapping, Web Browsing and Email (all other business functions I use my trusty Sony Clie NZ90 running on Palm OS v5). For these functions they are FAR superior on the Pocket PC platform. Anyway I have numerous audio books converted to MP3 and truly enjoy the available audio software (Windows Media, RealAudio, PocketMusic, etc.) and currently use an FM audio transmitter that takes over an FM station. Works fine in my vehicle but when in my office it would be nice to simply connect to bluetooth speakers to continue my listening enjoyment.

Any ideas?

SHoTTa35
07-25-2003, 04:36 AM
as you said they aren't available yet and i think those are to "headsets" not headphones. Headsets are like what the SE bluetooth phones use to communicate with the handsfree device wirelessly. Those you stick on your ear and leave the phone in your pocket. Bluetooth speakers are in the works tho, so it'll be interesting to see if they work cuz of bandwith limitations. 1mbps - TCP overhead leaves 730Kbps for stereo audio? That'll be real crappy this is why they work with headsets which are just 1 low quality speaker and low quality mic.

gorkon280
07-28-2003, 02:31 PM
as you said they aren't available yet and i think those are to "headsets" not headphones. Headsets are like what the SE bluetooth phones use to communicate with the handsfree device wirelessly. Those you stick on your ear and leave the phone in your pocket. Bluetooth speakers are in the works tho, so it'll be interesting to see if they work cuz of bandwith limitations. 1mbps - TCP overhead leaves 730Kbps for stereo audio? That'll be real crappy this is why they work with headsets which are just 1 low quality speaker and low quality mic.

Bluetooth headsets use TCP? I HIGHLY doubt it. Why use TCP? Your headset is not going to even have the capability to do IP protocols probably and even if it was....WHY? Only way TCP would be used with BT at all would be when your establishing a network connection (dialup or between two devices). There's absolutly no reason to use TCP to pipe audio to a set of speakers....also, 720 K and even 1 MBps are better then most of thesource audio and more than adequate for music. You generally encode a MP3 at 128Kbs.....720 Kbps not enough???